Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the track day thing been out 3 times on a 600. Now I'm thinking its something I wanna pursue. I learned to ride on a 650 it was very forgiving compared to an inline 4. Now that I'm used to riding on the track should I stick with the 6 or drop down to the v twin to perfect the skills on a much less powerful bike. I layed a 600 down last time out beginner mistake to much lean angle opened up to quick and lost the back end. Will a 650 do the same thing or will it be more forgiving in a track setting?

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
New to the track day thing been out 3 times on a 600. Now I'm thinking its something I wanna pursue. I learned to ride on a 650 it was very forgiving compared to an inline 4. Now that I'm used to riding on the track should I stick with the 6 or drop down to the v twin to perfect the skills on a much less powerful bike. I layed a 600 down last time out beginner mistake to much lean angle opened up to quick and lost the back end. Will a 650 do the same thing or will it be more forgiving in a track setting?
a 650 will high & low side just as well as a I4 bike. :lmao The 650 would be easier to keep tires on...potentially allowing you more $$$ for track time.

you can keep the I4 bike and get a mini bike to focus on your skills while away from the track. Either bike... youll need lots of seat time to improve.

·
Registered
507 Posts
stick with the 600..... something you can learn on and never get bored of. Tire management comes with rider skill, not what bike you ride. when you're kicking ass on that 650 your tires will wear no less than ass-kicking on a 600 ss.

·
4,811 Posts
... Tire management comes with rider skill, not what bike you ride. when you're kicking ass on that 650 your tires will wear no less than ass-kicking on a 600 ss.
:rolleyes: or so tire management is a "skill" now? Youre on crack if you think an SV will eat tires as fast as a 600.

Just look at a light weight endurance team running at race pace for 4-6hrs. Most teams get by with 1 set of tires(if they started with new ones) No way you are doing the same on a 600.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
The slower the bike the more you have to focus on riding right to be fast. That and on a slower bike you have more time to react since things aren't happening so fast.

A young kid had a sv650 in the advance class and he was slaying ppl on ss bikes

·
4,811 Posts
Look in to picking up a ninja 250 or Honda 250. A lot of people who ride say they drop a lot of lap time after riding one because they can learn corner speed and other things better.
And alot of those folks were riding too much bike (versus their skill level) to begin with. A street rider on a liter bike may think they are capable of handling the power... til you close the course and turn on the stop watch.

Its easy to ride a fast bike slow versus a slow bike fast.

·
Registered
507 Posts
:rolleyes: or so tire management is a "skill" now? Youre on crack if you think an SV will eat tires as fast as a 600.

Just look at a light weight endurance team running at race pace for 4-6hrs. Most teams get by with 1 set of tires(if they started with new ones) No way you are doing the same on a 600.
It isn't a "skill", it's based on the RIDER'S skill.

But if both bikes are running softs and have the same rider on them? You won't get a 100 lap difference. Maybe a dozen or two, but nothing to brag about.:rolleyes:

·
Parts Pimp
26,456 Posts
The slower the bike the more you have to focus on riding right to be fast. That and on a slower bike you have more time to react since things aren't happening so fast.

A young kid had a sv650 in the advance class and he was slaying ppl on ss bikes
:stupic:

There was a kid up here who was killin it like that. My heart was broken when he told me his consitant lap times were like 2 seconds faster than mine! :bowroll:

It's amazing what the SV650 can do. And it looks awesome with some Gixxer goodies on it too.

·
4,811 Posts
It isn't a "skill", it's based on the RIDER'S skill.

But if both bikes are running softs and have the same rider on them? You won't get a 100 lap difference. Maybe a dozen or two, but nothing to brag about.:rolleyes:
Are you willing to bet money on that?

If you take a front running rider on a 600 bike and a 650... I guarantee the 650 will get significantly more laps out of a set of tires versus the 600. Easily double... if not triple the life. This is at race pace... not track day control / lead-follow riding pace.

·
El Speedy Gozales
924 Posts
SV650's can be found fully set up with goodies for much cheaper than most I4's. You will be amazed at the capablities of a SV and how well they perform on the track. First time I rode one I had a blast. I love I4's don't get me wrong, 600's will also teach you about corner entry, corner speed and exit speed. You won't go wrong either way you go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts