Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Top Gun
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just picked up a 2006 50th anniversary R6 with a broken fairing stay on the cheap, and I was thinking about converting it over to a dedicated track, and WERA Superstock bike. I've been reading up on the distinctions and differences over each generation, and I was wondering, is any generation inherently better for closed course competition?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The newer the better of course but anything from a 2006+ will be competitive for club racing. The improvements between the latest generation were minimal unless you are at the top of your class or chasing an expert championship.

Just my 2 cents

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Ok, so I just picked up a 2006 50th anniversary R6 with a broken fairing stay on the cheap, and I was thinking about converting it over to a dedicated track, and WERA Superstock bike. I've been reading up on the distinctions and differences over each generation, and I was wondering, is any generation inherently better for closed course competition?
lots of threads on this..
and ya already have the bike you are making a track bike, does it matter at this point?? :)

·
Top Gun
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The newer the better of course but anything from a 2006+ will be competitive for club racing. The improvements between the latest generation were minimal unless you are at the top of your class or chasing an expert championship.

Just my 2 cents
That's what I thought, but I kept hearing that the YCC-I and YCC-T systems on the 08+ generation were significant in providing a more even power band. Plus, that issue with the tanks leaking fuel in highsides worried me.

lots of threads on this..
and ya already have the bike you are making a track bike, does it matter at this point?? :)
Yep, because it would be just as simple for me to install a new fairing stay, fix that upper, and sell the 2006 in favor of a 2008 or 2009 with no street parts. Also, does anyone know about how much the 50th Anny fairings and street bits could fetch me?

·
Top Gun
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A ECU flash does wonders for the 06 R6, just saying :))
I'm still a little rusty on my WERA rulebook, is that Superstock legal?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I'm still a little rusty on my WERA rulebook, is that Superstock legal?
yes. legal

the 08+ model is a better bike. do a search, LOTS of debate and it may not honestly matter one way or the other for you.. just race it, have fun. don't worry..be happy. And frankly, the 03-04-05/S model may be a better bike for some. Again, pages of debate on this. the 2nd gen is an awesome bike.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
the 05 is the winningest i believe. the the 08 is probably the best all around, from what i've read and heard. my 07 does me fine. but i don't race. :laugh

yet. :sing

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes. legal

the 08+ model is a better bike. do a search, LOTS of debate and it may not honestly matter one way or the other for you.. just race it, have fun. don't worry..be happy. And frankly, the 03-04-05/S model may be a better bike for some. Again, pages of debate on this. the 2nd gen is an awesome bike.
^ this. Just ride the piss out of the one you picked up and have a blast.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Since you already bought it... doing the conversion/installs yourself is a fun experience, provided you are reasonably competent and not over-confident (if you aren't sure about something: ask first, install later).

the 08+ model is a better bike. do a search, LOTS of debate and it may not honestly matter one way or the other for you..
I have the same 06 and I can't argue with this... the 08 is better out of the box. Think of the 2006 as the "first generation of the new generation V3.1". The 2008 is V3.2

But like everyone is saying, it's a great bike on it's own. Have fun!

·
Registered
449 Posts
yes. legal
And frankly, the 03-04-05/S model may be a better bike for some. Again, pages of debate on this. the 2nd gen is an awesome bike.
I'm one of the 2nd gen believers. I've rode both my 03 and my friend's 06 on the track, and I do like my 03 a little better. Why? Maybe because I'm still a novice, but mostly because I feel like the bike has a ton of mid range. In short, I think the mid corner speed and exits are a bit better. Just my opinion though. Any R6 is awesome!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I'm one of the 2nd gen believers. I've rode both my 03 and my friend's 06 on the track, and I do like my 03 a little better. Why? Maybe because I'm still a novice, but mostly because I feel like the bike has a ton of mid range. In short, I think the mid corner speed and exits are a bit better. Just my opinion though. Any R6 is awesome!
miles/condition equal, your 03 has more than 10 HP midrange on your friends 06r6 ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts