Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think this is the last of my noobtastic posts, but here goes.

When is the best time to buy? right now theres a few incentives from yamaha, and it may be cheaper/more available since its winter here. If I get it now I cant ride it for a few months, and I dont take my MSF course untill april 22nd.

The thing is if I get it now, I know I will have it, so I can get all my gear and things sorted out before its time to ride (what would be worse then having your license, a bike, and no plates or something). In my other post I said ive rode a lot of dirtbikes, so im sure I could ride the thing if need be. On nice days id probably go get the 30 day permit so I could go cruise with the old man and his harley, but id probly just drive about 2 miles on a straight road to a school with a huge parking lot to do a lot of practice, since this might help me with MSF.

If I dont buy it now, spring may bring better deals, but it also may not. Everyone might be buying them so they might not have any ravens. if I buy it after my MSF ill be good to go except for my gear which I need to order online, and I dont want to buy gear untill I have the bike. So id be all good to go except for the fact of having no gear, and if I have no gear im NOT going to ride.

Now me and my buddy planned on buying at the same time, but he wont have the money for a long time, and im good to go. If we can get some sweet deal for buying at the same time i'll probably wait, but if not I wouldnt see the point.

Kinda confused on what I should do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Dude don't wait on your friend. If you got the funds get it now. That might make your friend get his act together faster. I think you will get a better deal on one in the winter too. EVERYONE wants a bike in the spring. Not so many in the winter. These salesman are more willing to work with you on the price if there is not 10 other people in the showroom looking at the same bike. Also, if you can (and this is what I did) get two different dealerships working against eachother. They will almost always beat the other dealers price for that rare January sale!!! Im waiting on my Raven. It should be in this week!!! If thats the one you want better get it. The dealership that I'm getting mine from already has 2 or 3 other people that want the black one. I'm getting the first one and there already on back order. Good luck
 

·
Something Clever
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Here's what I did - I got my jacket and gloves the end of March when the dealer was having a clearance sale for the new season. Got one hell of a deal on a leather Joe Rocket and Icon gloves. So I was basically set except for key components like a helmet and the bike. I got my bike in May from an Ohio dealership that has a seperate internet department. I paid $7100 OTD and it was mine. Retail at the time was around $8300 in my area and they had on on the floor in Ohio for $8400. I figured I got a good deal. Yamaha was running the 3.9% for 2 years and after that I bump up to like 13%. You have to have a Yamaha card to use it though, so I had to apply at my local dealership and then get the card in 7-10 days and then head to Ohio to use it. I had to get hopping as the 3.9 ended the end of May. The dealership also had a 20% off deal (most have 10%) so i got my helmet when I picked up the bike and got a nice deal on that....of course it's only an HJC. Point is this - if you're ready to buy, then buy. It's my first bike - I had very little dirt bike experience, but had ridden my buddies Harley some - an I have had no problems at all. Some sticky situations, but hey, ya gotta learn sometime. Good Luck.
 

·
looking for more curves
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
njk27 said:
Id buy as soon as your ready especially in the spring the dealers will not bdge if they know its gonna sell
exactly... and unless you have lots of $ I would say buy your equipment first... trust me on this.. otherwise you'll be wanting to get this and that and you won't have the $ since your paying for the bike, insurance, 2nd back tire, 3rd back tire, gas, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got a few G's layin around collecting dust so im not to worried about that, and if I buy it now itll be sitting around for a good few months not being rode anyway (will be winter untill late march probably)

id just hate to buy equipment and end up not being able to buy a bike for some mysterious reason
 

·
Riding his own ride...
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
I wouldn't over think it. If the prices in 2012 of bikes go up then the used bikes will retain their value better or even hold overs from the past year, etc. Unless you can't predict all of those factors along with interest rates, the value of the dollar, etc. it's really nothing more then a guess on what prices will do. Interest rates are damn low right now as well. Regardless of the price of the bike if interest rates go up you most likely will pay a lot more unless you pay with cash.

Just buy when you're comfortable with it as you really can't predict all the factors that influence the price.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top