Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear stand but I want to get the front wheel off the ground so I can put on my rim tape.

From memory (the last time at the shop) I think they strapped it down and raised the front with a floor jack.

Is there a way to do this without using a front stand?

thanks

·
till the wheels fall off
48 Posts
Well I used jack stands (the ones used for automobiles), and put one underneath each fork, but of course you have to stablelise the back with the stand. you just have to use extreme caution so you wont tip the bike to the side, other than that it worked fine for me.

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Last night when I was putting on new brake lines and pads I put 2x4's under both fork tubes and it worked ok. It was very stable and easy to use.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Honestly i just did this like a half hour ago. i used regular automobile jack stands and put a folded rag on the top of them and put them right under my frame sliders. If u put the kickstand down then put the first stand under the higher side frame slider then move to the other side and lift the bike up and slide the other stand under the opp. frame slider. it brought my front tire about 4in off the ground. I guess as long as you've got frame sliders!

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly i just did this like a half hour ago. i used regular automobile jack stands and put a folded rag on the top of them and put them right under my frame sliders. If u put the kickstand down then put the first stand under the higher side frame slider then move to the other side and lift the bike up and slide the other stand under the opp. frame slider. it brought my front tire about 4in off the ground. I guess as long as you've got frame sliders!
I do actually...that's a pretty good idea. :cheers

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
i used a padded strap to go around the stearing head then used a ratchet strap on one of my garage stringers to hoist it up worked awesome

·
Registered
351 Posts
i used a padded strap to go around the stearing head then used a ratchet strap on one of my garage stringers to hoist it up worked awesome
+1:werd

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
Just roll your bike.... thats what i did.. Clean the part you can see of the rim... roll it forward like half a turn... clean the rest

apply the tape for as far as you can go... roll the bike a lil bit, and put the rest on.

I was thinking of ways to do this too... i went as far as gently laying it down on the grass (pretty dumb yes i know) then i was doing the front and was yanking up and trying to turn the rim little by little... then i just decided to roll the whole bike to show the part of the rim that was covered up

tape came out great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts