Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

It seems a bit 'tricky' to replace these things on a R6, so I'm wondering what's the best approach, removing the whole air filter/box or radiator?

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I've always done air box route. But, Radiator route seems easier.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
I typically do the air filter at the same time (wash filter, change plugs, reinstall filter next morning when dry), so airbox is my norm.

·
Punisher
33 Posts
I have always done airbox. I also do my air filter at the same time and oil change as long as it's around 2-3k miles and some detailing so I usually plan to spend a whole day on my bike.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
The plastic piece below the airbox and above the AIS/ Spark plugs is a severe pita so pay attn when it comes out to how to reinstall it
Are you talking about the diffuser for the airbox? If so thats easy, The AIS is the worst part. Get block off plates and get rid of it.

·
My R6 moves me
152 Posts
I went through the radiator and just took it all the way out made it easier to get at the plugs and remove the coils. I tried the airbox way at 1st found this easier

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried the radiator route but I'm stuck at doing it. I remove the big 3 screws but it still refuses to go down a bit so I can reach the sparks plugs. Is there anything holding it? I'm can't really see a thing and I don't won't to break anything either.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
My R6 moves me
152 Posts
Agreed you will have to take the whole radiator out to have a easier time getting at them not just losen the top bolts. Once its all the way off they will be at hands and most importantly tools reach. Good luck but you won't need it once the radiator is all the way off.

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
i can't see draining coolant and re-filling just to replace the plugs... the airbox route takes maybe an hour tops and you dont have to fcuk with fluids.

unless you i needed to change the coolant anyways theres no way i'd go through that.

·
#KeepPounding
1,735 Posts
i can't see draining coolant and re-filling just to replace the plugs... the airbox route takes maybe an hour tops and you dont have to fcuk with fluids.

unless you i needed to change the coolant anyways theres no way i'd go through that.
This. I changed the plugs on a Buddy's 05 about two months ago through the air box, super simple WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts