Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am interested in selling my 01 R6 and have posted it on a couple of forums. Is there anywhere else that I should be listing the bike? I was thinking of trying ebay if it doesn't sell in a couple of weeks.

Also how do I handle things like:

*shipping
*letting people test ride it (this makes me VERY nervous)
*accepting payment (cashiers check only?)

Is there anything else I should be thinking of or doing? I've never sold a car or bike before so I'm a bit green here.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Crapper was full...
2,109 Posts
craigslist.org

Don't ask for a ton more than the bike is worth. Go to kbb.com (the motorcycle link is in the lower left) to get an idea of where you should price it at, most people just average out the retail and trade values to come up with a selling price.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
CRAIGSLIST!!!!!! i have bought 5 bikes (street / dirt). and sold 3 on there. thats the best way imo. i would forget about ebay, in my experiance its not worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
true true, but there are alot of flakes too i myust have looked at 4 bikes where the owner, either didnt have the title or there was a lean and a 6 week wait, eventually i got pissed and just went to the dealer and lucked out with a good deal

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
all 3 bikes i sold on there only took about a week to sell!!!! i also got a great deal on my 05 R6 through craigslist about a year and a 1/2 ago i got it for $5500 with only 3000 miles on it. he also threw in an arai helmet never used still in the box with a 600 dollar tag on it, plus barley used icon jacket, alpine star racing gloves with the carbon fiber, and a 2end jacket. i got a killer deal, i already had all the gear but i wasn't complaining.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all 3 bikes i sold on there only took about a week to sell!!!! i also got a great deal on my 05 R6 through craigslist about a year and a 1/2 ago i got it for $5500 with only 3000 miles on it. he also threw in an arai helmet never used still in the box with a 600 dollar tag on it, plus barley used icon jacket, alpine star racing gloves with the carbon fiber, and a 2end jacket. i got a killer deal, i already had all the gear but i wasn't complaining.
Geez, thats a good deal.

I asked $4000 for my 01 R6, which is just about dead in the middle of the retail and trade in values on kbb.com

What should I do about the "Can I test ride it" part?

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
Geez, thats a good deal.

I asked $4000 for my 01 R6, which is just about dead in the middle of the retail and trade in values on kbb.com

What should I do about the "Can I test ride it" part?
yeah it was a killer deal, one that i couldn't pass up.

as far as the "test ride" cash in hand or no test ride!!!!!!!

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
+1 if they are that interested in buying it tell them money then ride if they dont like it hand them the check back and there will be no problems

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
Craigslist.

FORGET Ebay! Fees, paypal fees, fees, and fees. Check with local bike shops, they may have a board to post stuff on. Colleges....etc.

If they don't have a license, don't allow test rides. OR, they have cash in hand for test rides. It's your bike so if they don't like it, there are plenty of buyers and other bikes out there. Be sure to mention the test ride "policy" in your ad to eliminate flake and fake buyers.

Also, be careful if you allow someone to test ride. If they drove there with someone else. One guy will test ride, and then the other will take off in the car they came in, and both will be gone. Best is to have cash in hand.

Only accept major bank cashier checks. Don't accept any no name bank checks because they can be fabricated. Cash is even better. Put that in your ad also.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
You should try the not selling option...then theres no hassle!

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
i would suggest meeting people at a location other than your house and going with another person. Ive heard some stories and news stories about criminals that use craigslist

·
Registered
710 Posts
Since it's an R6, I'd almost say no test ride. Even if they have a license, there's nothing to indicate whether or not they'll either dump it or steal it.

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
When I sold my last bike (2002 YZF600R) I listed it on Craigslist and the bike sold to the first test rider within three days of being on Craigslist for what I asked for it witch was KBB retail value.

Call your insurance company and see what they say? I called my insurance carrier and told them I was selling my bike and if I was insured if someone was on a test ride with it and something were to happen and they said "Test away, your in good hands".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts