Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Abide.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've made a post on a forum. Prior to making this post I did a few searches on this topic--but nothing popped up but keyboard jockeys spewing specs.

I race CCS Unlimited Heavyweight, with a fully set up ZX10R. The liter bike class is not very competitive, and I am looking to step down a few hundred CC's and race in the 600cc class.

The obvious choice is an R6...but what year is best fit to race right off the showroom floor?

I'm thinking tunable suspension, smoother power delivery, quicker throttle response, light(er) wheels, and anything else that can be saved from purchasing separately.

Thanks for your help guys

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
It's been a while since I've made a post on a forum. Prior to making this post I did a few searches on this topic--but nothing popped up but keyboard jockeys spewing specs.

I race CCS Unlimited Heavyweight, with a fully set up ZX10R. The liter bike class is not very competitive, and I am looking to step down a few hundred CC's and race in the 600cc class.

The obvious choice is an R6...but what year is best fit to race right off the showroom floor?

I'm thinking tunable suspension, smoother power delivery, quicker throttle response, light(er) wheels, and anything else that can be saved from purchasing separately.

Thanks for your help guys
08+

You gonna come play in Middleweight SS or SB? Midwest region?

·
Abide.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
08+

You gonna come play in Middleweight SS or SB? Midwest region?
Yep--Midwest. I'm a weekend warrior, so the tracks within reach are Road America, Blackhawk, and Autobahn.

Ya i have an 07. Wish I had an 08, but really there are just subtle differences and make a little more power.
That's exactly what I want to know--the subtle little differences. Can you articulate what these differences are? Wiki goes as deep as "hey it's got 2 more HP!" :dunce:

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well subtle differences as far as cosmetic. It makes more power because of the throttle bodies as well as the YCC redesign. Still has great mid and high just slacks on the low end like all other R6's stock

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Yep--Midwest. I'm a weekend warrior, so the tracks within reach are Road America, Blackhawk, and Autobahn.

That's exactly what I want to know--the subtle little differences. Can you articulate what these differences are? Wiki goes as deep as "hey it's got 2 more HP!" :dunce:

Thanks guys,
You beat me to it, was going to ask if you were going to be at Heartland Park this weekend. I'll be at all 4 events at BFR and the Road America weekend. Look for the guys with blue bikes and neon rims. :cheers

08+ R6 has YCC-I which is variable length intake flutes to assist in power by lengthening or shortening the intake.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
le 08+

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts

Thanks guys,
It's a LOT of differences. There's a couple magazine articles out there identifying them.

Here's a short list for you of the important stuff.

08+ has many things the 06-07 doesn't.

-Better oiling at idle and in general. Mainly due to a redesign on the bottom end of the motor. 06-07's would spin bearings quite a bit, so they are larger on the 08 and it's less of an issue.

-More power due to more compression, and many other internal motor changes

-More power in the upper midrange due to variable length velocity stacks.

-Stiffer lower triple clamp for better front end feel and feedback

-.5mm thicker front rotors OEM

-redesigned frame, swingarm, and subframe. The frame flexes more in the center by moving reinforcements to different places. This allows the stiffer front end to not go all over the place and lets the frame flex more. The rear swingarm is internally supported differently as well. The subframe is magnesium and lighter.

-REAL important would also be the 10mm longer front forks allowing superbike competitors to make ride height changes as needed without requiring fork caps/extenders.

There's more to it than this, but this is what you should be more concerned with.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
It's a LOT of differences. There's a couple magazine articles out there identifying them.

-Better oiling at idle and in general. Mainly due to a redesign on the bottom end of the motor. 06-07's would spin bearings quite a bit, so they are larger on the 08 and it's less of an issue.

-redesigned frame, swingarm, and subframe. The frame flexes more in the center by moving reinforcements to different places. This allows the stiffer front end to not go all over the place and lets the frame flex more. The rear swingarm is internally supported differently as well. The subframe is magnesium and lighter.

-REAL important would also be the 10mm longer front forks allowing superbike competitors to make ride height changes as needed without requiring fork caps/extenders.

There's more to it than this, but this is what you should be more concerned with.
Never knew there were that many changes to 08+, oh yea Anthony, the Stahlbus Oil drain plug looks :cool:

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
:pimp: :fact
Other than the nicks/gases I put around the edges of the nut portion of the drain plug because I didn't have a deep well 19mm socket so I couldn't get a lot of meat around it so it the socket slipped off a couple times when tightening it up

·
Abide.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You beat me to it, was going to ask if you were going to be at Heartland Park this weekend. I'll be at all 4 events at BFR and the Road America weekend. Look for the guys with blue bikes and neon rims. :cheers

08+ R6 has YCC-I which is variable length intake flutes to assist in power by lengthening or shortening the intake.
Will do. I'll be the guy on the weathered orange ZX10R. #72.

Thank you for this write-up sir. Exactly what I was after. '08+ it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts