Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well amigos it's time for new rubber.

While commuting yesterday and taking a left, my rear tire while crossing the painted-lane divider line slipped out a tad and I almost lost it! As soon as (half-second later) the tire made re-contact with the pavement (as I had crossed through the painted divider already) she straightened out but it was a bad scare and fish tail wobble! Almost a decade on sport bikes and half that time commuting daily and this is how I'm gonna go down for my first plunge??? Nope.

Now I've been out of the game as far as reading up on the forums or knowing what tires are the current stickiest for the street. It used to be that the Pilot Power (way back) then the Power Pure as well as the Q2 or Q3's were King but like I said, I've been out of the game for a while and have no clue about the latest and greatest.

On all of my previous bikes, I have always run Michelin Pilot Powers or Pilot Power Pures. Despite me commuting on the street everyday, I would rather sacrifice tire longevity for stickiness and safety! If I remember correctly, I purchased my last set of Pilot Power Pures from a guy (Scott maybe?) at STG http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/ and I got them for an amazing price shipped! (like ~ $100 front/$130 rear)

I guess I am asking...what is the stickiest, latest and greatest tire for the street for someone who commutes? Keep in mind that price is a factor. Also keep in mind that I have run for years, with success, Pilot Powers and Pilot Pures. I would be open to the latest Q series by Dunlop given the price was good. Just please don't recommend Pilot Roads or the likes as I simply don't feel they are sticky enough.

Thanks Cabrons!

Oh also, where O where to buy whatever you recommend!? Links to sites or contact info is much appreciated!

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
Re: Beware of dem painted lane-divid​er lines. Need new tires, looking for advice!

Just run non DOT tires. Stickiest tires you can get.

·
Living The Dream
3,797 Posts
Re: Beware of dem painted lane-divid​er lines. Need new tires, looking for advice!

ill always stick with my power pures...i have as much confidence with those as i did with my 2ct's plus the power pures are nearing 12k and still look new :toocool:

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts

Painted lines are always going to be slicker than the pavement to the right and left. It doesn't matter what tire you run.

·
Hello
523 Posts

ill always stick with my power pures...i have as much confidence with those as i did with my 2ct's plus the power pures are nearing 12k and still look new :toocool:
WOW! Ive never made it that far on any set of tires much less a performance set! Usually the stickier they are the less mileage can be expected from them.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,489 Posts

Pilot Road 2. More than enough grip to drag a knee any time you want. I am at something like 14k miles on mine and they still look new. I had just hoped to get 10-12k out of them, but now I am wondering if they will ever wear out. I ran Pilot Powers before, but the life of them sucks and I am paying for more grip than I will ever need on the street.

·
Vroom Vroom
603 Posts

I'm running the Pilot Power 2 ct and have never had a problem.

Where you rolling on the throttle or something? It seems weird for it do just do that unless if it was wet, recent oil on it, or maybe the paint is just slicker over there. New paint?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks man. I too love dem pures!:YEA 12k on yours?! That's crazy!

Painted lines are always going to be slicker than the pavement to the right and left. It doesn't matter what tire you run.
Ya don't suppose...

Pilot Road 2. More than enough grip to drag a knee any time you want. I am at something like 14k miles on mine and they still look new. I had just hoped to get 10-12k out of them, but now I am wondering if they will ever wear out. I ran Pilot Powers before, but the life of them sucks and I am paying for more grip than I will ever need on the street.
Thanks!

I'm running the Pilot Power 2 ct and have never had a problem.

Where you rolling on the throttle or something? It seems weird for it do just do that unless if it was wet, recent oil on it, or maybe the paint is just slicker over there. New paint?
No rolling on the throttle or anything out of the norm!:eek:oh:nono except for a skid mark post-wobble in my undies.

Here's my rear at only 6,900 miles. Pilot Power Pures....and I ALWAYS keep my psi in the appropriate range (daily, I'm anal about tire psi).

I guess that's what 110+ degree pavement does to tires :mad:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just to verify, from the pics above of the wear bars....would you say it is time for new rubber? I'm horrible at reading these damn wear bars haha:mad:

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,489 Posts

Just to verify, from the pics above of the wear bars....would you say it is time for new rubber? I'm horrible at reading these damn wear bars haha:mad:
Looks to me like they are a little short of being flush with the tread. I would keep riding them and consider ordering a new set as soon as some of the wear bars are flush with the tread. Base it on the ones closest to being flush. If you don't lean a lot, you will have a lot left on the sides, but the centers will be worn down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Looks to me like they are a little short of being flush with the tread. I would keep riding them and consider ordering a new set as soon as some of the wear bars are flush with the tread. Base it on the ones closest to being flush. If you don't lean a lot, you will have a lot left on the sides, but the centers will be worn down.
Thanks :cheers the middle is about flush. I don't lean enough to wear the side compound. Lot of highway miles and hot pavement:throwup

·
Yeah Science!
7,318 Posts

Do a track day? Problem solved

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,489 Posts

Thanks :cheers the middle is about flush. I don't lean enough to wear the side compound. Lot of highway miles and hot pavement:throwup
tough to get a good picture, but I tried. This is how my Pilot Road 2 tires look after 13,818 miles. I circled the wear indicators in yellow to try to make it easier to see.

I also put two pictures of my puppies in, because they are friggin awesome.:lmao

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Off topic, but I am having Clutch cable/lever issues! Possibly the cable is stretched or a bolt (I don't know where though) needs to be tightened? See pic below, notice the space/gap the lever is allowed to rest at? I have to constantly push the lever FORWARD to get it back to its correct resting position. This amount of play is causing my clutch to stay disengaged at random shift times....meaning, my 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shifts I notice that the motor is revving for a sec before the clutch engages FULLY. Think "slipping the clutch". The clutch will engage on shifts, it is just at some points the lever seems to not spring back to disengage immediately thus causing erratic rev'ing at times. *

No matter how much I roll/adjust my clutch cable "nut" on the handlebar, the slack/tension does not affect the gap/incorrect resting position of the lever.

Any help?!*

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,489 Posts

If moving the adjuster does nothing, I would say it sounds like something is sticking on the lever itself. If that isnt the issue, it may be a dirty clutch cable getting stuck in the cover. When was the last time you lubed the clutch cable?

There is supposed to be a little gap there(my rule of thumb is that you should be able to stick a dime in the gap). I know on my 2003 r6, there are two adjustments. There is the roller knob thing, and then there is another adjuster on the cable itself(I think it is down by the engine). Try adjusting the one down by the cover and that should take out a lot of the play. If that doesnt work, see if there is someone on here that is local to you that can check it out. If you were near St. Louis, I would offer to help. You're like 1500 miles away, though.

·
Living The Dream
3,797 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Haha well she kept staring at me.....I figured she wanted some of my IPA:drink She got some alright :jump

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts

Sounds to me like your cable is in dire need of some cable lube.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Sounds to me like your cable is in dire need of some cable lube.
Thanks, where do I apply it? Isn't there some kind of sensor on the 09 that deals with clutch control? Thought I read that somewhere. Kind of like how's there's no physical cable on the throttle, there's just the TPS.

Also, the cable down by the crank case/clutch case, It most likely does not need adjusting right? Funny..I see these things everyday yet I can't remember really looking at any of it...:bash

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.