Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done installing a pair of bi xenon projectors from a bmw 3 series into my 2nd gen r6... I did a how to and here is the link: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pnt24/R6/bixenon/

Overall I'm very pleased with the oem look as well as the output, sorry i dont have any pictures of the output yet since my bikes is still in pieces putting mods and getting ready for some maintenance. Let me know what you think! Ill add more pictures as they come and show how I mounted the ballasts in the trunk!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
very nice mod...damn nice write up!
Love to see the "extra mile" put into the creativity on mods...hate to say it tho, that is too damn much work for me! hahaha

looks very cool too.
:cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
great write up you may have just inspired me to try it. Got some questions though, where did you get the projectors and how many man hours did the whole project take?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys forgot I posted this here, lol.. I remembered I posted it in the how to but forgot about it here completely...

Thanks Yoda, I really wanted to do something different to my bike over the winter, i had originally planned to do the outside lows and inside highs with hid but this I thought looked more custom as well as providing more light (and also only uses 1 bulb, less strain on battery)...

Denkou: the projectors are commonly known as bosch bi xenon, or e46 bi xenon. I bought some off ebay before but since I mess with a lot of hid equipment and trade some I probably ended up paying around 120 for these. The whole project took me about a month cause I only worked on it in my spare time (working 2 jobs now), I would say you can get this done in a weekend taking a bunch of breaks and relaxing... there are some things you want to let dry and heal like the JB weld so that might be a restriction on time.

Icemaninlv: I'm not sure what years the sl it comes on, I know "most" 2001-2004 bmw 3 series use this one. They are the ONLY projector that have the line through the middle so if you're on ebay just make sure they got the line. Like I said the projectors probably around 120 although they range up to 200 on a good ebay bid... ballasts and bulbs around 220, shrouds I paid 30 although they sell normally for 80 and up to 100+, and then misc hardware and wiring harness I made probably about 50... It wasnt that cheap but try and compare it to hid as an option off a factory bmw and it sounds better, lol...

njk27: I have them installed on my bike as well as a few pictures of the wiring and how the ballasts are mounted, when I get my bike back together (fully) i'll take some nice pictures and update the how to.

Btw the how to took a while to complete but was the bulk of that information was written during work when I had nothing to do, lol... glad to hear people are liking it!

Forgot to mention I was "the first" person to do this :jump on a 2nd gen r6 which gives me certain pleasure as I'm usually not the first, ahah, ngng on r6mn did this on his 99 (I believe) r6 with different xenon projectors. If you want more information on xenon hid in general or lighting upgrades check out www.hidplanet.com/forums the for sale section has a lot of this stuff in there time to time as well. Thanks again for all the comments!

·
Registered
786 Posts
All ya need now are the little halos around em (Angel Eyes) for the day time.. haha would be a sweet mod, I don't think HiBimmin's angeleyes had Xenon projectors... just HID Or whatever? I could be wrong

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was gonna make angel eyes but I think they look ricey/cheesy and dont go with the OEMness of the install, so I forgot about them for this one ;)

Highbimmin doesnt add hid he just chanegs the stock projectors so the outside lenses are low and the inside are highs, he can wire it up to support hid but he doesnt include it...

I thought I'd post this up to give ya an idea how it looks on the bike!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts