Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I decided to fill gas because I knew I was about 10 miles away from when my gas light usually comes on. Usually my gas light comes on around 115 miles.

So I filled up at 104.6 miles and filled up 1.995 gallons. 52 mpg. I usually get 40-42 mpg. Needless to say I was stunned. Only thing I did different this fillup was increase my tires to proper PSI. People who put on my tires had them low. I also spent more time in lower gears, not shifting to higher gears as soon as I did before.

I will monitor my gas mileage the next few tanks, hopefully I can keep this average.

Anyone ever notice anything like this?

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
So basically you only changed all the major aspects of fuel economy. lol

I was getting an average 36 mpg in New Orleans, I've been getting an average of 43 mpg here in Phoenix. I'm sure its a mix of altitude and a lot more interstate travel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine is around 150. I can do over 160 mpg when my light is on. With a few canyon rides and free way riding and street of course.

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically you only changed all the major aspects of fuel economy. lol

I was getting an average 36 mpg in New Orleans, I've been getting an average of 43 mpg here in Phoenix. I'm sure its a mix of altitude and a lot more interstate travel.
Well yeah I agree with that on the tires. However my old tires were inflated to proper PSI and i got about 42 mpg. So I am not sure if the change in gear choice is playing a role.

Usually I was just following the manual and getting into 5th gear at like 35 mph and 6th around 40-45 mph. Now after taking some advice from other members, i get into 5th at about 45-50 mph and 6th gear only at 60 mph+

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
Well yeah I agree with that on the tires. However my old tires were inflated to proper PSI and i got about 42 mpg. So I am not sure if the change in gear choice is playing a role.

Usually I was just following the manual and getting into 5th gear at like 35 mph and 6th around 40-45 mph. Now after taking some advice from other members, i get into 5th at about 45-50 mph and 6th gear only at 60 mph+
Can't help ya there, I have no idea what speed I'm doing when I shift.

·
Coo Beenz
785 Posts
I figure when I'm doin a wheelie, I'll get better mileage because I don't have the rolling resistance of the front wheel....right?
:sing

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
I run PSI at 32R and 32F on stock Dunlops, that seems to be where they stick the best with no carcass issues. My gas light comes on at 150 miles every time whether it be weekend rides or trolling around back and forth to work. No idea what kind of gas mileage that is cause I don't pay attention to it. I'm gonna ride no matter what the price of gas and the bike don't go without it.:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Once I switch to Amsoil and flush out all my fluids, I will expect really good MPG too

Last time I filled I got 35 MPG, which is only 4 MPG better than I get on my Celica GT-S

·
did100MphiDeserveAthread!
436 Posts
i usually get 134 to a full tank. how r u guys getting 150?

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I have no clue how much mpg my bike gets... I really don't care but you guys are going to make me look into it...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
i usually get 134 to a full tank. how r u guys getting 150?
If you are doing stop and go city driving, you're on track with what I normally see.

I added air to my tires this weekend for the cold weather.. Next thing I know, I got like 75 miles and popped the gas cap to fill up figuring I'd need gas. Bike barely took any.. I was stunned. I guess the cold weather and the increase in tire pressure helped more than I thought it would.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I hate when people measure per tank.

First, not everyone drives their bike to same amount of "empty". Some people freak out before their fuel light comes on, other people drive their bike 20 miles past the fuel light.

Second, not everyone fills up the same amount of gas to the same level. Some people over pump their tanks, others put the nozzle in too far and have a lot more space left.

Finally, if you're trying to calculate your MPG you want to make sure you're filling up to the exact same level each time. If you're calculating based on MILES DRIVEN divided by FUEL ADDED, your variable here is both how much fuel was on your bike the previous tank, and how much you put in when you went to fuel up and calculate your MPG.

If you over filled your tank the first trip and drove 100 miles, then only filled it halfway (2 gal), then yeah 100 miles (from a full tank) divided by 2 gallons is gonna give you 50 mpg, but your tank is half full.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i usually run it about 20-30 miles past the low fuel light, put in 10 dollars and its pretty much to the brim. who cares about the gas mileage, if you got a sportbike to save money on transportation, your stupid.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
This brings me to a question for everyone: When do you stop pumping gas in your bike?
I normally stop pumping gas in the bike when I'm driving or when I'm not riding the bike. :*tongue

1 - 20 of 43 Posts