Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, so here's my story. im gunna try to break this first long post into a couple short ones so bear with me here. first things first, i had my first (and hopefully last) accident, it was at night, out riding my headlights, NOOB MISTAKE. ohh well lesson learned.

so here is my bike before the accident :)

here is my bike the morning after the accident :(

injuries i received were a minor concussion, and some road rash to lower back (tramp stamp area)

i knew the snow wasn't far away so i had to focus on getting my bike ride-able to my storage spot,

first things to come were the renthal clip-on's and the PSR click-n-roll front brake lever.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, once i got those things on i got her to the place where i would store it for the winter and stripped it down.

all cleaned up.

now what do do about all those ugly fairings?

i decided to order a custom painted set from Auctmarts. after lots of communication, and about a month - six weeks later they showed up at my door :toocool:

after much reaming out the holes to make the bolts line up, it came out pretty good :):):)

more hi-def pictures to come, its my birthday today !! so going out to celebrate a little bit.. :pimp:pimp

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks goods; you need to get faster headlights though...
the projectors are a cool mod, i might make it another project :)

It happens to the best of us! Glad you are doing pretty much okay man! :cheers

Good luck with your rebuild :)
thanks!!

the crash happened mid-late October, but im all healed up now!!

funny thing was the road rash kind of looked like a butterfly, so my dad would always make fun of me for having a butterfly tramp stamp. :poke

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are some better pics

:secret i thought they did a pretty good job on this

i know im missing two bolts, thought i had the holes done big enough, but not quite, a little bit of fine tuning left is all :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so now here's whats on the list left to do:

• powder coat my front and rear rims gold (bought a mint second hand rear)
  • get fork seals redone (leaking alot :( )
  • new rubber: going with S20's, current setup is bt016 on rear and dunlop sportmax radial up front
  • depending on the size of my tax return, might go with m4 midpipe and grab a gytr slip on
  • if i do get the midpipe i will also be getting the bazzaz with z-afm

have new grips on the way, and only a few payments left on my new helmet, got the same one again cause i loved it so much the first time... :werd

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
Looks good! Auctmarts fairings have horrible fitment though......My friend got a set for his 600rr and the side fairings didn't fcking line up at all to anything. Took all gawt damn day to get them somewhat(zipties) on :laugh

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
So how would you rate the aftermarket fairings (from dealer to product)? I'm considering buying a set in a few months.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good! Auctmarts fairings have horrible fitment though......My friend got a set for his 600rr and the side fairings didn't fcking line up at all to anything. Took all gawt damn day to get them somewhat(zipties) on :laugh
yea, it took me about 15 min per side to ream all the holes on the black fairing just to get them lined up so the screws would go in, but for 600 to my door, not that bad.

later on when i graduate college i can just buy a new right eye piece and then have the entire OEM fairings sanded and custom painted like these, that way everything will fit as it should :fact

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So how would you rate the aftermarket fairings (from dealer to product)? I'm considering buying a set in a few months.
the dealer is a great guy to deal with, really nice, and accommodating, he makes sure that you get what you want colour wise.

however the fitment for me would be a 6/10 because there are some gaps in the tail section, and some in the main fairings too, alot of work is required to get them to where they need to be, and some of the joints dont line up flush, one might stick out a bit further than the other.

for the black mid fairing on my bike, there was soooo much reaming involved for the top two holes that when the screws are in the body work, you can see part of the original hole drilled by the worker. it is rather unsightly, but can only see it when your really looking... just like anything else you get what you pay for, for roughly 1/3 of the cost of oem, your gunna get 1/3 the quality.

the part that pisses me off the most was that the flush mounts dont sit properly in the holes!! such a piss off. but with a little modification im sure i can get them to fit, i just dont wanna file some paint off and have it show when the turn signal seats properly..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks!

nice! You should of bought used fairings on this forum and got them painted
well, hindsight is always 20/20 haha. what i should have done was just bought the right eye piece from Yamaha for $80, then had the scratched up fairings filled in with bondo and painted at a local paint shop, would have roughly cost as much as the new fairings, and then picked up a mint tail on the forums for cheap.

but overall im happy with how it turned out. :YEA

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i also forgot to mention that i have a new tank too !! its charcoal, and perfect, ill probably end up selling the dented one as a track tank to someone for next to nothing.

seeing as the nearest track for me to ride means taking a ferry across the ocean :( (NOT CHEAP !!) ill be lucky if that bike sees one track day.

but for someone doing a street/track combo bike then it can be a tank they can throw on and not have to worry about wrecking it if they crash.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey guys, did some work on the bike this week.

changed tanks and got the PC III and the mjs midpipe installed

the muffler is really heavy, glad its off

and a pic of her all buttoned back up, this bike is now loud !!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts