Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just figured id share an issue I had yesterday with my build im doing.

Long story short, bought a written off 07 r6, and a new frame/engine to swap over to make the bike streetable.

Yesterday was its first start. The bike wouldn't stay running without gas and was awful to get running in the first place. Myself and a friend looked over every connection we could, found nothing out of the ordinary, other than my neutral light wouldn't come on in the cluster.

In comes my other friend who offered to be a new pair of eyes, which can sometimes help. We pull the tank, have a look around, and he finds the neutral switch wire is plugged into the rear brake pressure switch plug. So we check the sensor, its fried. Swap over a new sensor, and the bike runs perfect.

Pretty odd how just having that sensor plugged into the wrong plug can make that big of a difference though.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
It probably had nothing to do with your issues. I'd say it is more likely that something wasn't connected correctly when the tank was on the first time, and you accidentally fixed it when you put the tank back on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so, I removed that tank half a dozen times trying to fix the issue.

I had an ECU code, two TPS codes, and an exup code (expected)

All gone, now.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I don't think so, I removed that tank half a dozen times trying to fix the issue.

I had an ECU code, two TPS codes, and an exup code (expected)

All gone, now.
I haven't looked at the wiring diagram or anything, but it may be entirely possible that the neutral sensor being swapped caused it.

You swapped out the fried neutral sensor or the fried brake sensor? If you really want to see what it was, put it back the way you had it when it was running like crap, (along with whatever sensor you had that was fried, not your good one), then see if it throws the same codes and runs like shit.

Also, depending on how long it sat, lord knows what kind of crap or water was built up in the fuel system. Maybe it just took a bit to clear everything out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello all, just figured id share an issue I had yesterday with my build im doing.

Long story short, bought a written off 07 r6, and a new frame/engine to swap over to make the bike streetable.

Yesterday was its first start. The bike wouldn't stay running without gas and was awful to get running in the first place. Myself and a friend looked over every connection we could, found nothing out of the ordinary, other than my neutral light wouldn't come on in the cluster.

In comes my other friend who offered to be a new pair of eyes, which can sometimes help. We pull the tank, have a look around, and he finds the neutral switch wire is plugged into the rear brake pressure switch plug. So we check the sensor, its fried. Swap over a new sensor, and the bike runs perfect.

Pretty odd how just having that sensor plugged into the wrong plug can make that big of a difference though.

edit: i fail at posting pictures...just click link...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't looked at the wiring diagram or anything, but it may be entirely possible that the neutral sensor being swapped caused it.

You swapped out the fried neutral sensor or the fried brake sensor? If you really want to see what it was, put it back the way you had it when it was running like crap, (along with whatever sensor you had that was fried, not your good one), then see if it throws the same codes and runs like shit.

Also, depending on how long it sat, lord knows what kind of crap or water was built up in the fuel system. Maybe it just took a bit to clear everything out.
neutral sensor. I could do that, but I don't really care enough to bother to be honest. hahaha.

it didn't sit, it was maybe 2-3 months max. the engine was used by a local racer in his race bike, now, its my girlfriends street bike.

edit: i fail at posting pictures...just click link...
Thanks for that, im not sure what this thread would be without your input. A+.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Thanks for that, im not sure what this thread would be without your input. A+.
:bowroll:bowroll:bowroll

1 - 8 of 8 Posts