Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know the real loud clunk sound like when you put it into first. When i pull in the clutch all the way and downshift at speed. like from third to second at 40MPH or so, i get that clunking sound. Rode a friends CBR and didnt get that, is this normal for our bikes? I never really paid attention to it till i rode a bike that didnt do it, so i really couldnt tell ya if it has done it all along or what.

Any advice/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Are you rev matching during the shift? If you're letting your RPM's drop during your shift, then engaging 2nd, this will happen. Try searching "shifting techniques" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Rev-matching during a shift/downshift is so much smoother on you and your bike.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
I get alot when going to 1st. Also when you put the bike in neutral while go around 45mph, then up shifting or down shifting. She doesn't like that

·
High Five!
1,025 Posts
I get it occasionally. The majority of the time is from 2nd to 1st.

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
I get alot when going to 1st. Also when you put the bike in neutral while go around 45mph, then up shifting or down shifting. She doesn't like that
+1

But yeah, take some time and learn to properly blip the throttle for a smooth transition

·
Read Only
1,581 Posts
I've been reading up on this. Blipping is just flipping the throttle right? Correct me if I am wrong. I want to be up and down shifting perfect.

Sorry for threadjack

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I've been reading up on this. Blipping is just flipping the throttle right? Correct me if I am wrong. I want to be up and down shifting perfect.

Sorry for threadjack
yes, meaning when you downshift you will match the revs for that gear/speed your at so it won't feel like you downshifted at all. you won't "jerk" forward because you probably have a slipper clutch. its a great technique for the track from what i've been reading.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts
yes, meaning when you downshift you will match the revs for that gear/speed your at so it won't feel like you downshifted at all. you won't "jerk" forward because you probably have a slipper clutch. its a great technique for the track from what i've been reading.
It's a great technique no matter where you're riding. Makes for an easier transition to a lower gear without the above mentioned "jerk" forward. It's not so much matching the revs, but just reducing the difference between what the bike is at and what it's going to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts