Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2004 Yamaha R6 sitting out in the lot and there were heavy winds and rain over the night but the bike was covered. I think the wind somehow caught the cover and acted as a parachute and pulled the bike over because it was laying down on the opposite side of the stand. The bike was probably on its side for around 8+ hours. I turned it upright let it sit for a day and cranked it and it would start up but it sounded awful and the engine wouldn't stay running. I think rain got all up inside it but I have no idea what the problem could be. I tried pulling the spark plugs but after that the engine wouldn't even start up it would only crank. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Do you have a diagnostic mode? You can go in and read each sensor... kickstand, neutral, etc. Indirectly, the diag mode can be used to determine whether the kill switch is functional.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2004 Yamaha R6 sitting out in the lot and there were heavy winds and rain over the night but the bike was covered. I think the wind somehow caught the cover and acted as a parachute and pulled the bike over because it was laying down on the opposite side of the stand. The bike was probably on its side for around 8+ hours. I turned it upright let it sit for a day and cranked it and it would start up but it sounded awful and the engine wouldn't stay running. I think rain got all up inside it but I have no idea what the problem could be. I tried pulling the spark plugs but after that the engine wouldn't even start up it would only crank. Any ideas?
Potentially dumb question, but how much gas is in it? When a bike falls over it is common that fuel runs out of the cap/overflow. If it's about empty it will definitely run poorly. Easy thing to check just in case

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a diagnostic mode? You can go in and read each sensor... kickstand, neutral, etc. Indirectly, the diag mode can be used to determine whether the kill switch is functional.
yep diag code reads 13 which is air intake sensor short circuit or open and I know its not open but would that prevent the motorcycle from starting? Also the motorcycle normally makes a humming noise before startup which is the fuel pump priming I assume. However, the noise is constantly on now after the kill switch is switched to on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Potentially dumb question, but how much gas is in it? When a bike falls over it is common that fuel runs out of the cap/overflow. If it's about empty it will definitely run poorly. Easy thing to check just in case
Yeah gas is all good. I'm sure this isn't going to be a simple fix although I wish it was.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It's normal for the pump to constantly run in diag mode. The instructions actually tell us to disconnect its wire harness(es) before entering diag mode. If it's doing that outside of diag mode, perhaps that's a clue. Does it try to start when spraying carb-cleaner into the intake? (note: damages any oil in the air filter)

I think these use manifold absolute pressure (MAP) along with intake temperature sensor to calculate intake air. I know it'll run without air intake temperature, but not sure about the MAP sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts