Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last night I was at my friends house. My bike was parked outside, like it always was before, and some guy backed right into my bike. He had a truck, with a hitch. He gave me his name and number, and said he would take care of it, and sorry for meeting this way. He had to goto the store or do whatever, and I wasnt feeling really good about the situation. I called the cops and they did a report. He doesnt have insurance..

I'm currently waiting for the estimate from the dealer that I got the bike from. Here are some pictures of the damage, not all of it though. (Okay, only two of the 5 I uploaded were within the size limit..)

Anyway, the right side of my bike is damaged. Tail, mid-fairing, lower fairing, gas tank, front fairing, front fork (where his hitch hit), front fender is cracked in three places, and my throttle part of the handle bar is bent downwards & cracked. As well as my brake lever is bent outwards.

Just from the guy at the dealer looking at some of the damage, he said probably going to be a few thousand to repair everything. He also said that I shouldnt of drove it about 20 miles to there because of the throttle being the way it is..

I am going to call the insurance company here soon, but wanted to hear some of your opinions on what I should do about this guy not having insurance.. I'll take it to court if I have to, but would rather not. I mean, if he doesnt follow through with what he was saying last night, then hell yeah. I'm not getting screwed over on this!

-m0nkey

Attachments

·
What traffic?
68 Posts
That really sucks man. I can relate, since I'm going through a similar experience. All I can tell you is that it is going to be more expensive then you think to fix it. Mine was actually totaled, although I admit mine was hit a lot harder. You can see my post here.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67583

I'm not parking in streets anymore. :mad:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really sucks man. I can relate, since I'm going through a similar experience. All I can tell you is that it is going to be more expensive then you think to fix it. Mine was actually totaled, although I admit mine was hit a lot harder. You can see my post here.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67583

I'm not parking in streets anymore. :mad:
Yeah, I saw your post right before I made this. I dont think I will be parking on a street anymore either! haha I know it will probably be more than what he said. I mean, they are going to replace everything that is scrached up. When I wreaked my last bike and replaced everything, it was a sheit ton of money! I'm not going to be suprised on what the total is going to be.

-m0nkey

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
I must admit, in the past few months after reading some of these posts on here, I've all but given up on parking in the streets. When I ride to the city, I roll up on the sidewalk now. When I'm at the malls I park beyond the barrier that keep cars from the pedestrians, and at home she stays outside for 10 minutes to cool off before I roll her into the garage.

effing crazy to have to worry about people driving their vehicles into your parked bike.

Hope you make out well with this one dude. Hope it doesn't have to get uncivilized! Good luck.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My guess is that you are going to have a fight on your hands to get your money. No way does that guy have a clue how much it cost to replace fairings etc on a modern sportbike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I got the estimate.. 3kish. I called this guy and told him, he was like theres no way that little damage costs that much. I told him everything that was wrong, and he said well that would do it. Then after that, he said why did I park so close to his truck. Now he is saying that it should be 50/50 because of me parking "close to his truck". "Didnt back up about 2 feet before I hit your bike".

I didnt think I was really close to his truck. Even so, shouldnt you look behind your vehicle before you move it? I dont want to pay for this.. but wtf

-m0nkey

·
Registered
592 Posts
So, I got the estimate.. 3kish. I called this guy and told him, he was like theres no way that little damage costs that much. I told him everything that was wrong, and he said well that would do it. Then after that, he said why did I park so close to his truck. Now he is saying that it should be 50/50 because of me parking "close to his truck". "Didnt back up about 2 feet before I hit your bike".

I didnt think I was really close to his truck. Even so, shouldnt you look behind your vehicle before you move it? I dont want to pay for this.. but wtf

-m0nkey

About what I thought would happen,sorry bro..

·
Screw 4 wheels
142 Posts
Just have a lawyer write him a letter and he will pay.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
take it to court if he's gonna be a bish about it...matter of fact claim some more injuries to for more money...fact of the matter is, you win...His vehicle was the one moving,not yours...you win

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
ouch.sorry bro

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
take it to court if he's gonna be a bish about it...matter of fact claim some more injuries to for more money...fact of the matter is, you win...His vehicle was the one moving,not yours...you win
How much do you think the court is gonna cost? I dont have money to throw around, if this is gonna be expensive I dont know how I would do it.

-m0nkey

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
free,sue him for the court cost also as a slap in the face.

·
Screw 4 wheels
142 Posts
First have a lawyer write a letter saying you will sue him and see what he does...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wouldnt I still have to pay for the lawyer first? Then get money from the sue?

I think if I get a letter saying that I am going to sue, he'll just run back to Georgia where he lives.. He is up here because he just found out that his girl friend is preggers.. So he is "staying for awhile". If he ran back down there, then I'm screwed.

-m0nkey

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can you list what wrong with it? To me, fairing damage and a little paint chip off the tank shouldn't be $3000. That just crazy. I rebuilt my bike and with the TOTAL front end replaced cost me $2500. So $3000 doesn't sound right.

·
im michael jordan ballin
749 Posts
Can you list what wrong with it? To me, fairing damage and a little paint chip off the tank shouldn't be $3000. That just crazy. I rebuilt my bike and with the TOTAL front end replaced cost me $2500. So $3000 doesn't sound right.
This is exactly what I was wondering... how in the world did the guy come up with 3k in damages? Thats bullshit, unless there is other damage that you haven't told us about or shown us in pictures... I still find it hard to believe that it would be 3k in damages from being backed into.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well.. here is what he said he was going to replace: Front fork (left), front fender, tail piece, front, mid, and lower fairing, the right side of the handle bar, brake lever, (dont know what is exactly needed to fix that, its messed up pretty bad), exaust cover, right footpeg, and the gas tank.

I think that is it. Once I get a copy of the estimate, I'll post everything, and the cost of each. The estimate includes labor..:throwup

-m0nkey

·
burrr
158 Posts
nothing sucks worse than walking out to a parking lot and seeing your bike laying on the ground. At lease you were able to talk to the guy, the cunts that ran into my bike drove off.

·
burrr
158 Posts
by the way i would recommend doing the work yourself and buying fairings off ebay. that is what I did and i pocketed about $1500 in insurance money after I had fixed my bike. they gave me about $2000 and it only took about $500 to fix.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts