Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Go SOX'S
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if my suspension may be set up wrong for my weight and height but after I come out of a hard left it is very hard to drop to the right quickly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
When was the last time you had your steering head bearing adjustment done?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
how old are your tires? is the front wearing more on one side etc?

also make sure the front forks have the same rebound, compression and preload adjustments.

you would know already if the steering head bearings were loose. you would feel it clunk over bumps.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
Not like i'm an expert but there are too many unknowns. Did this just start? Are you counter steering? Did you change something (tires, or brands)?

·
Go SOX'S
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k its not the bearings b/c i would hear the knocking and preload is set right. my tires are generally new and have equal wear on the left and right side.

·
Muskokan R6
14 Posts
if the bike is just sitting still, turning the bars left and right fast does it still do it? Could it possibly be the dampner???

·
Registered
159 Posts
akinz said:
if the bike is just sitting still, turning the bars left and right fast does it still do it? Could it possibly be the dampner???
I would think if it were the damper, that it would effect the right to left lean as well. A damper isn't set for one specific side... It is set over all, which affects leaning both directions equally.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Depends on the damper. My Scott's damper has settings for range of damping from center to left and center to right. If not set correctly, it will dampen more on one side than the other.

·
Registered
56 Posts
this may sound a little too obvious, but have you checked your rear tire alignment??!!

when i bought my 05, the rear tire was off just a hair, and it caused me to have to muscle the bike into left-hand turns, but it would lay right over in right-handers.
doesn't cost anything to double check.......

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah same thing i was going to say: check the rear tire alignment.

also, do you use the throttle cut trick? after you're done turning left, cut the gas completely so the bike will come back up quickly as hell, and when its up give back some gas and lean right... maybe its not the bike that isnt acting right.. it can be you but its a subjective point..

oh yeah and watch out for the shaft effet on the throttle when changing directions so fast

·
Registered
296 Posts
Getting off the throttle a little to help load the front tire is a good tip. Shaft effect ???

You can also force the bars over a little to help snap it around too. Another thing that I have found to help the bike rotate is lower the forks in the triple clamps so they sit fush. Really lighten up the effort needed to rotate the bike on mine.

DK

·
Go SOX'S
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah ive been using the throttle to get it to turn more smoothly, ill try D.Kings approach also. thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a similar problem. Discovered that preload and rebound dampening didn't match between my front forks. My bike was diving a little right, and acting like a pig when trying to go left again. It was the right fork that didn't have enough preload and had an extra click or two or rebound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
having different settings in each fork will effect both right and left. The axle connects both fork legs and does not flex. It's like some riders will put different springs in each fork to fine tune the spring weight.
Chances are you favor turing one direction. Some riders find turning one direction more easy than the other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts