Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
wants to drag knee
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only issue i have with the bike is when i ride it then let it sit at work for about four hours. when i leave for lunch and its above 85 outside the bike cranks and cranks but i have to rev it to get it to start. any ideas on why? plugs? filter?

thanks

Joel

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
Does it do it if you ride the bike and it gets hot then say you turn it off and run inside then come back out? if so it could be your starter.

·
wants to drag knee
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, the only time it does it is when i ride it to work ( about a 3 to 5 min ride) and then it sits in the parkinglot for about four hours. the bikes temp is cooled off but the bike its self has been sitting in the sun on a 95 deg day. thats the only time it happens, bike has around 4k miles on it and as far as i know its the stock plugs

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have issues like that to. Mine are more of what the other poster said...run bike hard and then run inside for 5 min and come out and its still hot and it turns over a lot then starts. Happens once in a while and i can feel when it will happen. So i just turn the key of and on and then it ussually starts right away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mine does the same...i think the gas in the line get burnt up and it takes a few cranks to get the gas flowing again....only thing i could think of

the only issue i have with the bike is when i ride it then let it sit at work for about four hours. when i leave for lunch and its above 85 outside the bike cranks and cranks but i have to rev it to get it to start. any ideas on why? plugs? filter?

thanks

Joel

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
mine happened to me today...my bike temp was 217 degree when the problem started

·
Registered
29 Posts
same thing was happening to my 08. My resolution; turning the bike to power, putting my helmet and gloves on and then start it up. fires right up everytime, if I just wait it will fire up but if I try to rush it after work I will have to give it gas to start. Ive tried counting to 10, still do it, but counting to 30, fires up. Its stupid I know, but the bike makes up for it in so many ways.

·
wants to drag knee
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so this is a normal problem? any cures for it?

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
sounds like maybe the fuel is evaporating out of the lines somehow and its just taking a minute to build up pressure in the lines again from what mightysupra said, which is kinda weird. I have an '04 and right now in Texas it's been about 97's the past few weeks and my bike sits out in the sun at work everyday and I've never had this problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know its old, but does anyone have a definitive answer as to why this is happening? I live in the high desert of CA, and after an 8 hour day at work, my bike tries to start, but I have to give it gas to get it to start all the way. Anyone know why? I was also thinking the gas in the lines is evaporating, but I am not sure, thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Old thread but I'm having a similar problem that I wasn't having last summer. Bike will start up no problem at all if hot and in the shade. But if its sitting in the sun for even 5 minutes it will take a few tries to fire up, and needs throttle. :nono It's scaring me does anyone know what might cause this? 35k miles on the bike :scared

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem is with the engine i guess, when the bike reside in parking for such a long time, and the temperature is so high, the fuel in the engine get evaporated and when you just want to start it, it takes a little time to come to the normal stage.

·
No Passengers!!!
51 Posts
I had the same problem. It used to do the same when cold and only @ first start up for the day. This started in September 2010. As of March 2011 the bike started doing it when warm as well. I had to give her juice and keep it on approx 2000rpm for 10sec and only then would it stay idling... No matter if she's in the shade or not. Problem was found to be the TPS values in the diagnostic mode. Was slightly out. She now starts 1st time everytime! I have a 2006 with 4800km on the clock.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Mine has done thhis, periodically for years.....Only when left in the sun. I believe it has to do with fuel evaporation. I have made a habit of opening the fuel tank to vent it if the bike is sitting in the sun for a while, and it seems to work. Once it starts there are no more effects and I can't repeat the issue....unless I let it sit in the sun for a couple of hours.

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
Is everyones bike here black?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Is everyones bike here black?
:lmao No. My tank used to be silver. My current tank is yellow. It did it with both.

Previously, I had a custom map that I wrote for my Yosh exhaust, but that system was destroyed in an accident. The map for my current exhaust is a generic map (since I don't own a dyno anymore, and haven't gotten it to one, yet) and I haven't done any tweaking to it, yet. It does seem more prevelant with the new set-up, but I have only had the bike out a couple of times since it was put back together.

On my old map I added fuel at 1000 and 1250 RPMs in the 0% throttle column, to minimize the issue. With the generic map, the issue seems to be a little worse, so I'll probably try the same thing (only this time at 750 and 500 RPM, so it's not idling rich). I will have to play around with it, but it is hard to repeat, so adjustments aren't easy to validate. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mine R6 2005 is black, and i have the same problem...on sun its ok, but if i stop and engine is about 200F , it wont catch again... or very very hard. Starter is spinning, but thats all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is it cranking over at normal speed?

I had a car that was doing the same thing, but you could hear that it cranked more slowly when warm.

Replaced the battery - problem solved.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts