Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 R6 and whenever I'm going a constant speed or slightly accelerating my bike tugs from front to back. I thought it could be my chain wasn't tight enough and was catching funny, but my buddy said that was fine. I think it might be that I need to get the carbs cleaned. Any suggestions?

·
Stock R6.. keepin it rea!
271 Posts
I am having the same problem its really only noticable at low speeds for me though.. I am thinking I need to clean the carbs and replace the spark plugs and wires. Is carb cleaning hard is there a write up, and how long should it take?

·
I love hot dogs.
144 Posts
change out your filter as well

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Do mean to get off track but can you describe what is happening alittle different...

Does the bike seem to fall on its face or something.

Jerking or what...

Also what do you have inetalled extra --- Air Filter or Etc...

Has the bike been rejetted or is it factory still...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I'm accelerating slightly or holding a constant speed at around 6k rpm's the bike will tug back and forth. It will do it in spurts so like when i am increasing speed it will jolt forward to back 5 or 6 times, then be okay when I hit 10k rpms.

I went to a Yamaha dealer around here and the guy said that its just because its getting old. Said my carbs, chain and sprocket were fine.

The bike is completely stock except for the Leo Vince slipon I have.

·
271 Posts
how else can I explain it really mine is around 6-7k in first and its just the slightest noticable. Its like when you run out of gas the bike starts to sputter but this is a lot less noticable. I think I just need a tune up. It could also just be because the bike is carburated and not fuel injected I am sure fuel injection is alot smoother compared to carb.

·
SHIFT!!
100 Posts
Schwizard, the dealer you took it to is an idiot. Take it to a different one and don't let them tell you its because its old. It sounds like the bike is running rich (or maybe lean) around that rpm. When its happening see it there is any dark smoke coming from your exhaust, if so its probably running rich. Also try to replicate the problem while the engine is cold (ie while the temp reads "LO"). Then do it when the engine is really hot (ie the fan has turned on multiple times). If the problem is worse when it is really hot then the bike is running too rich. If it gets better when hot then the bike is running too lean. That Leo Vince maybe what is causing the problem. If you get it to a professional tuner he should be able to clean and rejet your carbs so it runs properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whats up fellas. I saw this post last month and I'm just now able to reply to it. I have exactly the same problem. Fuel injection doesn't make a different because mine is an 06 R6 and everything your guys' bikes are doing mine is too. I've changed the spark plugs, added fuel injector cleaner and nothing. I regapped them and nothing. Finally went to the dealer and the mechanic said it was my chain without having the bike there. I explain to him what was happening and he asked if there was a spot on the chain that got really tight when I spun the wheel. And I did. He said that was the problem. I ordered a new chain and two spockets, got it installed today, and the dang problem is finally GONE!! I suggest changing your chain and sprockets if they need changing.

·
271 Posts
Thats not the case with my bike. I think its the carbs it could just be normal too. I mean the bike is 8 years old going on 9. I changed the air filter, plugs, oil and oil filter, chain and sprocket. I did all this because it needed a tune up and new chain not because of the problem.

Anyway I did this and just finished a day before my bike show trip about three hours away. The bike rides great but it still tugs if I stay steady at 6 or 7 RPM. I am going to hold off an get the carbs cleaned over the winter or something. Any diagrams or write ups on carb cleaning for the 2000 R6 I am pretty mechanical and can probably do this my self.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have a non standard end can, you will need to at least change the needle position. The supplier should have told you this, and provided manufacturer suggestions.
It is nothing at all to do with it being old or anything. You have what is called a flat spot, and getting someone who knows there way round carbs will sort it in an hour. Its usually best to get a Dyno run done so you can find out of its running rich or weak, which will tell you what adjustments you have to have made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts