Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an ‘08 R6 with about 15k miles on it. The other day while I was riding home from work I was stopped at a light and suddenly my idle changed, I lost 80% of my power, and it sounds like a dirtbike. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, and the coils work fine. I’m out of ideas. Anyone have any clue?

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Hey guys, I have an ‘08 R6 with about 15k miles on it. The other day while I was riding home from work I was stopped at a light and suddenly my idle changed, I lost 80% of my power, and it sounds like a dirtbike. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, and the coils work fine. I’m out of ideas. Anyone have any clue?

If you think it’s not running on all four cylinders, let it idle. Spray water on the header tubes. See which one/ones are cold. Swap the coils from the good ones to the cold cylinders and see if the issue follows the coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Reading ohms/resistance on my coils wasn't helpful. But we're talking a tiny .08 range in primary coil specification when all of your volt meters only read down to tenths of an Ohm, rather than Hundredths. I was able to spot my "bad" one by using a spark gap tester. Adjusted out to a HUGE gap, I was able to see that one wasn't able to consistently/reliably fire at the same gap that the other three did. They performed the same on all four wires, so I knew it wasn't the wire harness or the ECU.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Reading ohms/resistance on my coils wasn't helpful. But we're talking a tiny .08 range in primary coil specification when all of your volt meters only read down to tenths of an Ohm, rather than Hundredths. I was able to spot my "bad" one by using a spark gap tester. Adjusted out to a HUGE gap, I was able to see that one wasn't able to consistently/reliably fire at the same gap that the other three did. They performed the same on all four wires, so I knew it wasn't the wire harness or the ECU.
there's a company that makes an awesome ignition test system but it's very expensive. but I want it anyway.
https://tecmate.com/products/ignitionmate/
and they have the best synchronizer on the market https://tecmate.com/products/vacuummate/

both of these would set a mechanic back $1000 though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts