Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my new motor all put in and ready to ride so I took it out tonight.
Anyways when I shift from first to second the bike most of the time will jump out of gear back to nuetral. And when I shift from third to fourth or second to third it does the same thing. When I down shift into these gears it doesn't really do it unless I down shift then let of the throttle and it'll just coast and rev like its in nuetral. Is this a clutch problem?? It strange because it engages in first fine and will cruise great in 6th but sorta in between it wants to slip.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply? How do I trouble shoot the tranny? Sorry its my first bike haha

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
i'm not 100% sure. i know my 02 yzf600r had those EXACT symptoms. i got a diagnosis from a local race shop that it was a banged up second gear "gear" or whatever it's called.

to me, the fact that it's not isolated to one gear (like mine was to second) makes me think it might be clutch. there are some other guys on here that are clutch masters, so i'll let them toss their ideas at ya. but either way - i have a feeling you'll need to break into the motor.

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
When you shift after the "neutral" is it back between 1st and 2nd or up where it came out of like 3rd or 4th. I'm thinking your internal shifting linkage that turns the gear shifting cam might have an issue, that or worn shifting forks, is this a used motor you bought off "some guy".

Sorry agg.... really have to disagree, I believe in no way possible is this the clutch.

Shifting forks = big job
Linkage = moderate job

Linkage can be done in the bike, forks the motor has to be removed

Yeah guys.... I do WAY more than headlights :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah when I try to shift into second it'll come back into neutral but when it slips out of the higher gear it goes into like a "no man's land" I have to keep shifting around until it puts itself in a gear. Also it seems like if I'm on the throttle harder while shifting it won't come out of gear as much.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well a little update on it. I took the bike out again today and found out that if when I shift up into second if I keep my foot up to hold it in gear for a few seconds it won't jump back out. So maybe it may just be an issue with my shifter linkage??

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
that's def not a clutch issue.
a clutch issue is pretty much only a slipping. where you give it gas and it doesn accelerate but the engine does.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Well a little update on it. I took the bike out again today and found out that if when I shift up into second if I keep my foot up to hold it in gear for a few seconds it won't jump back out. So maybe it may just be an issue with my shifter linkage??
one thing you can check really easy is the detent spring under the cover that goes around the shift shaft.

that's the spring that returns the shifter linkage. but I think it only causes the shifter to stay in the wrong spot and make it hard to shift into the next gear.

sounds like you bought a engine with a bad trans.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm kind of afraid I did to. This blows. The guy will take the motor back but its just a b!tch that I did all the work on the motor swap and now will probably have to take it back out again. Thanks for all the help though guys!
I'll probably run it up to a shop and just listen to what they think it is for sure but they'll probably say the same thing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I still have it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I think I've got the problem fixed. I adjusted the position on the shifter linkage on the shifter bar that comes out of the motor and once I did that it shifts fine now! When I first adjusted it I rotated it more towards the back end of the bike and that wouldn't even let me shift into second gear so when I moved it towards the front of the bike it shifts good now! Hopefully that was the issue!

·
Registered
1 Posts
the shift rod is probably rubbing on the frame. make sure it doesnt hit or bind on anything. detent spring may have popped off as well...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts