Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 2001 R6. It has a factory jet kit and 520 chain/sprocket kit. Anyway, I was riding yesterday and I noticed it wasn't running right, and about 5 minutes later, it bogged down and died on me. This is the 2nd time it has happened. Both times I've just parked it, waited 3 to 5 minutes, and it fires right up and runs great. The time between the two occurences was about 3 to 4 weeks. I keep it inside, so I don't know if moisture is in the gas, or if the plugs are bad, or if it's the fuel filter. The bike runs fine, its just that this has happened twice, and I just wanna fix it. I'm guessing plugs or fuel filter, but more opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sounds like possibly an electrial problem. If you're suspecting plugs, you might as well get some new ones, throw them in. While you do that, pull your coils and test them. If your coils are going bad, your plugs can foul out.

You need compression, fuel, spark for it to run.

If you think it is a fuel related problem, you can change the filter and fuel and verify that it is getting fuel to the carbs and into the engine, then you have to worry about compression and spark.

I don't think it is carb related yet....it would be more consistent, thats why i think it's electrical.

Check the coils.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll check that out. I'm planning on changing the plugs this weekend, so I'll go ahead and check the coils. I might even replace them since I'll have it apart, but I agree, I think it's something electrical. We'll see this weekend. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
No problem, that's what we're all here for.

Keep me informed and good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
189 Posts
vd,

listening to redline is like rolling in gasoline then playing with matches, it just isn't a good idea :hammer

·
Registered
212 Posts
On this same subject.... i have a 99' 6 and i just had it serviced.... Yesterday i got new tires put on and my throttle play tightened. I rode home everything was fine, but after that i noticed it was sorta bubblin in lower rpms... and it began shutting off occasionally when i ride.... It is perfect from 5 to redline but before that it doesnt sound as crisp. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Thxs for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts