Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unforgiven
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 r6 with 8500 miles on it, just changed the spark plugs and put in a new bmc air filter from stock and also installed a power commander 5 which I think is causing this whole problem because the bike has never done this before installing that.
I have mjs headers on the bike with a graves slip on, I am running the custom mjs map on the power commander and have also tried the full stock map on the pc5 to hopefully fix the problem but again no luck.
Onto the problem.. The bike will run great for a total random amount of time sometimes 2 minutes and sometimes 45 minutes or until I make it to where I'm going. After this given completely random amount of time all the sudden the bike or I'm guessing the power commander will dump a crap ton of fuel out to the point I can smell fuel the exhaust is smoking white smoke and actual physical fuel is on the inside of the slip on that's how much fuel it's dumping out. This then causes the bike to run like shit, sound differently and then finally stall any about 20 seconds of it dumping out the fuel.
After this I plug in the laptop and reload a map weather it be the mjs map or the fully stock map and then the bike will run fine again. I'll take it out again and it might right for half an hour or might only make it around the block and have to come back home because of the issue.
Why the hell is it doing this? Not sure it's the pc5 but really odd the bike didn't do this before the install and every time I reload a map it's really odd that the problem stops. I've installed the air optimized as it's called by dyno jet that comes with the pc5 that's just a shitty plastic box that plugs into the bikes real o2 senor could this be the issue?
I'm so grateful to anyone who can help with this, really sucks having a bike that's only a few years old and not being able to enjoy it not knowing how long it's going to run or if it's going to let me sit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For it to dump enough fuel that you can actually see raw fuel then the injector would have to be stuck wide open. Possible driver issue on the board but not likely. Take a REAL good look at the harness. If you pinched the PCV harness and it is grounding one of the striped wires it will stick the injector open. We have seen many people do this.

·
Unforgiven
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the response. Actually called you guys after not getting any responses to this thread except "did you take the pc out of the bike" lol. Anyway, the guy I talked to said to update the firmware and to do it 2 or 3 times because it doesn't always take and that could fix the issue. Although I just got the pc5 a month ago I tried to update the firmware to the latest version on your site and reloaded just the stock r6 map for now and took it for a good hour ride and the problem has yet to happen again. Supposed to rain for a solid 2 days tonight but once that's over I'm going to take it out again on a. Ice long ride after loading the custom mjs map that I'd like the be using and see if it happens again.
Would love to thing that updating the firmware has fixed the problem but nothing is ever that easy for myself lol. So far it has though. If the problem persists I will check the harnesses like you said. I was pretty careful finding a good spot under the tank for them and running the wires however but anything is possible. Just to be certain, you are talking about the harnesses from the pc5 that connect into the bike correct? Just make sure nothing is pinched or anything like that involving them?
Thanks again for your help.

·
Unforgiven
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take the tank off and check the harness once the problem happens again.
I also didn't think the firmware would cause the issue but was reassured by the guy that I talked to at your company that the firmware would be the first place to start since it can fix minor bugs like this. I didn't think this was minor but whatever. After firmware he said to try and load a 0 map with 0 fuel changes and if the problem still happens then they'll get it in house to take a look at the pc5. Your answer was very helpful though and I will be doing that as soon as it happens s again

·
Unforgiven
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to reply back to this in case anyone else has or is having this issue with a power commander because the guy I called at dyno tech said he has never heard of the issue before although the person that replied to the thread from dyno tech said it was a common issue and I was unable to find any help on these forums and the Internet in general prior to this thread.
I thought the issue was fixed by updating the firmware since the problem stopped for a few days but then sure enough it randomly came back again as I was sitting at a red light.
In short the response in this thread is what fixed the issue. I placed the pc5 under my seat on top of the bikes ecu since I wanted my passenger seat space free for my tool pouch and a couple other small things I like to keep on the bike back there. The problem was indeed that the wire going from the pc5 to the bike harness was kinked however. I had the wire running out hidden under the side of my plastic but it had to go back into the bike right where the seat connects and it was a tiny spot that I didn't notice that was just barely getting kinked every time I would put my seat back on and I think my weight on the seat is what was causing the issue which is why it would stop when I'd take the seat off and put it back on until I later got on the bike and shifted my weight causing the issue again at what seemed random times.
The only way I noticed the issue was running my fingers down the wire and feeling a small indent in the wire which just so happened to be right on top of the blue wire also.
I moved the harness wire out of the inside edge of the plastic and ran it down under all the other wires under my seat and next to the battery up through the foam inserts by the tank to get it inside the bike which was how it was before just a tiny section right before those inserts were sticking out on the seat rail getting pinched by the swat.
After moving the wire I loaded the mjs map for their headers the map that I wanted to be running all along since I thought maybe the problem was the map and was most recently using just the stock r6 map. Took the bike over to a friends which was just a few minutes away because I didn't know if the issue was really fixed or not but finally had no issue there and back. After that went out on a limb and agreed to go on a little 2 and a half hour trip there and back with my girlfriend on the back with 2 other buddies on their bikes and had no issues the whole time and the bike ran lovely. So I am calling this one fixed.
All this was very frustrating for me since I take great care in my bike which is fairly new in the first place with not that many miles on it and after spending $400 for some headers, $80 for a bmc air filter, $400 for a graves slip on, the $260 for the pc5 and putting new plugs in it all at the same time of installing all this and only to find out the bike would randomly keep doing this and having me worry it was going to leave me sit somewhere on the occasion I couldn't keep it running through red lights after it started running rich and get it home.
This turned out to be a lot longer response then I first thought lol. Just want to say thank you very much for your response to the gut at dyno tech who posted in the thread. Without you I'm sure the issue would still be happening and my pc5 would be sitting at dyno tech getting check for issues since that was my next step after running a 0 map and updating the firmware like I was told on the phone.
I hope my ordeal can help somebody else. Check your harness wire for kinks. I do everything myself on my bike and have owned several before this one and am pretty mechanically inclined and definitely didn't think I had the wire kinked, or that that could be causing the issue, but I did and so far, it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.