Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 R6

Ok I've eliminated a lot of possibilities and now officially clueless.

Basically I turn the key, you hear fuel injection prime. Hit the start button. Nothing happens.

Here's some facts

No error codes of any kind. All seem to be in order.

2 killswitches. One of them used as key, the other as regular killswitch/start button.

No side stand. Therefore the plug under the seat has the two wires crimped together.

Clutch switch wires are also crimped together.

Neutral light isn't working. I checked the neutral switch wire, the switch itself, everything. Nothing seems out of ordinary. Replugged them all, still nothing. But I have a feeling this is not the problem anyway. With clutch switch eliminated, bike should start regardless right?

Battery full. Charged all the way up to make sure.

So only thing I can think of now is the starter motor.. The bike has been sitting for 5 months or so but I doubt it would seize that fast...

Any ideas? Let me know if I can provide more info.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Little update. I suspected the Main relay (the one that looks like this > http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-R-6-R6-Main-Power-Starter-Relay-Switch-/271419002437). I have a spare one so I was swapping them out. Stupid ****ing me late at night, I forgot to disconnect battery. As I was changing relays, the one relay sparked up and the starter turned for a split second.

I disconnected battery, went on with the swap. Turned the bike on, still nothing. Checked fuses on both relays. No problems there.

So I guess the starter works... But somehow it's not starting.. Grounding problem perhaps??? I checked and made sure the main ground wires are connected.. So once again I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... Friggin ridiculous...

It was the starter relay indeed. Turns out both relays I have are fried. I finally decided to jam a screw driver into the relay terminals to short it while the bike is on and hitting starter switch. Sure enough it sparked and turned and turned on.

Hopefully this thread will enlighten a few people who are as lost as I was!

Check list for a non-starting bike:

Killswitch (we have all done it)
Battery
Kickstand Switch
Clutch Switch
Neutral Switch
Fuses
Starter relay
Starter motor

With my luck it happened to be one of the last things on my list.

·
J.Owens
40 Posts
I had the same issue I tipped the bike over and it wouldn't start at all as well as no neutral light I tried jumping the relay and still nothing after checking grounds etc... it turned out that my bike was hydra-locked. So if any one is having any issues similar to this and none of the above has worked try taking your spark plugs out and checking them. If theres any liquid what so ever on them leave the spark plugs out and try to start it should push the liquid out and you should be good to go that's what happened to my bike.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same issue I tipped the bike over and it wouldn't start at all as well as no neutral light I tried jumping the relay and still nothing after checking grounds etc... it turned out that my bike was hydra-locked. So if any one is having any issues similar to this and none of the above has worked try taking your spark plugs out and checking them. If theres any liquid what so ever on them leave the spark plugs out and try to start it should push the liquid out and you should be good to go that's what happened to my bike.
Nice. Good to know this is also a possibility.

Btw I was thinking I might have a grounding issue too. I doubt it but I'll make sure before ordering a relay. I should probably check my relays too obviously with a voltmeter haha.

·
J.Owens
40 Posts
yeah if you ever have the suspicion that your starter is bad take it out attach the power cable and tap a ground wire to it and it should spin. please dont hold the starter in your hand though youll shock the shit out of yourself. And if your bike is running like crap take the spark plugs out anyway and start it you never know there could be some mystery liquid in there and it could be messing your bike up. But it sounds like your bike is running fine

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah if you ever have the suspicion that your starter is bad take it out attach the power cable and tap a ground wire to it and it should spin. please dont hold the starter in your hand though youll shock the shit out of yourself. And if your bike is running like crap take the spark plugs out anyway and start it you never know there could be some mystery liquid in there and it could be messing your bike up. But it sounds like your bike is running fine
Yeah once I got it to run it was running surprisingly good although it sat in my trailer for 5 months. But I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Back to going broke tracking!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke too soon!!!!!

Alright I really need help now.. So here's the latest

I received my new relay. Plug it in. Turns on, primes fuel, starter button doesn't function. Starter button isn't melfunctioning as i made sure the wiring was good and tried two killswitches.

So right now the only way bike works is when I jam a screwdriver between +/- terminals of the relay..

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.