Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Went out for a few errands today, no problems. Stopped for my last errand, was in there for 5 minutes max, come out, bike won't start. I flicked killswitch, moved in and out of neutral and first gear multiple times, nothing. I was finally able to turn it after holding down the ignition (I know, probably not the best move but I was in a really horrible spot.)

I'm pretty sure it's not the battery as I just put a new one in a couple months ago, and there wasn't any of the typical clicking that signifies bad battery. I did a little bit of research, and I think it could possibly be hydrolock? I'm not exactly sure what that means, if anyone could clarify that for me it'd be great.

I'd just like to know if it does sound like hydrolock and what I can do to fix it.

I have an 07 R6, by the way.

Thanks for any help.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Hey guys. Went out for a few errands today, no problems. Stopped for my last errand, was in there for 5 minutes max, come out, bike won't start. I flicked killswitch, moved in and out of neutral and first gear multiple times, nothing. I was finally able to turn it after holding down the ignition (I know, probably not the best move but I was in a really horrible spot.)

I'm pretty sure it's not the battery as I just put a new one in a couple months ago, and there wasn't any of the typical clicking that signifies bad battery. I did a little bit of research, and I think it could possibly be hydrolock? I'm not exactly sure what that means, if anyone could clarify that for me it'd be great.

I'd just like to know if it does sound like hydrolock and what I can do to fix it.

I have an 07 R6, by the way.

Thanks for any help.
Your question is very confusing, for a variety of reasons.

Is it firing the starter at all? Or is it like when you have the kickstand down and the bike in gear, where absolutely nothing happens when you thumb the starter? You say there's no clicking, which implies it's not firing at all, but then you said you were able to get it started by 'holding down the ignition' - which makes it sound like the starter motor is turning just fine.

By 'ignition', do you mean the starter button? The ignition is the place where you put your key and turn the bike to 'on'.

Hydrolock is when a motor sucks in a bunch of water (or any fluid really) while it's running, which the pistons can't compress, so it ends up bending rods and such, and completely grenades the motor. I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Vapor lock maybe? This problem is pretty much non-existent in modern fuel-injection systems. See here for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

Has this ever happened again? Did you turn the bike off and try to restart it once you got home?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, and sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the starter.

the effect is the same as when you try to start in 1st with the kickstand down. the engine light flickers on and off while I press the starter but doesn't turn. I don't know how, but it eventually did turn over, to my amazement. I had tried the same thing for about 5 minutes and it eventually worked. rode home with no issue. got home, turned everything off, then tried to start it back up again and same thing happened.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
It sounds like the problem is electrical. Like an intermittent short. I'd start by looking for damaged wiring and loose or poor harness connections. Anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there's a hack-job wiring repair by the previous owner.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
thanks for the reply, and sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the starter.

the effect is the same as when you try to start in 1st with the kickstand down. the engine light flickers on and off while I press the starter but doesn't turn. I don't know how, but it eventually did turn over, to my amazement. I had tried the same thing for about 5 minutes and it eventually worked. rode home with no issue. got home, turned everything off, then tried to start it back up again and same thing happened.
Ok, that makes more sense. :)

It sounds like the problem is electrical. Like an intermittent short. I'd start by looking for damaged wiring and loose or poor harness connections. Anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there's a hack-job wiring repair by the previous owner.
Yeah, #1 guess would be a loose or corroded connection somewhere. I'd check the battery terminals first, then work through everything on the starter circuit, and go from there. Godspeed. I hate dealing with electrical issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, that makes more sense. :)

Yeah, #1 guess would be a loose or corroded connection somewhere. I'd check the battery terminals first, then work through everything on the starter circuit, and go from there. Godspeed. I hate dealing with electrical issues.

thanks for your help. I'm not very good with electrical either but I'll take stab at it.

I'll reply back here when I find out what the problem is.

thanks again everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts