Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked a thousand times....

I set up my first trackday for June 30th! Im very excited, and I have all of my gear together. The only questions I have are about what I need to do to the bike, mainly the coolant flush. Is the best thing to use just plain distilled water? The trackday isnt through any said organization, it is set up through the track itself as an open track day. Also what kind of pressures should I be running? It is going to be an evening session on the track so temps will be about 85. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
most tracks want you to change out the coolant to something else that is track friendly. water only isn't enough to keep your engine safe. buy some Water Wetter from a auto parts store.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

it really depends on the track owner/operators what they want you to do with your bike.
most of the time you will be required to safety wire your oil filter, the drain plug(or use silicone on it) and safety wire the oil fill plug. and change out your coolant.
and of course almost always, you will have to remove your mirrors and tape up lights.

I think you said you are using 2ct's in another thread? I don't know what a good pressure is for them, I hear michelins are pretty finicky when it comes to pressures.

have fun man, you're going to have a blast. what track are you going to?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use regular water and water wetter - some use distiled, but not necessary IMO.

For tire pressure, it depends on what tire. Check with a local performance shop (i.e. does race tuning, not a dealer). There may be someone at the track, but in case there isn't, I'd find out ahead of time.

Tape up the lights and remove mirrors, make sure your brake pads are ok, tires have life left, and suspension is set to the right sag (at minimum) and (if possible) have someone check rebound/compression. Check pressures like you said, and go have fun.

Just ride within your capabilities and don't feel like it is a race. I have seen many people get on the track and go balls out just because it is legal to do so, or make stupid passes, and end up turning their bike into a taco.

Get ready to get addicted!

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys the track is Miller Motorsports Park. They hosted the Superbikes on May 29-31st. Im spoiled I know. I plan on taking it very easy, I understand completely that im not racing. I just want to work on body postition and learn how to be smooth. My mirrors are already pulled off I just use a bar end mirror. I am way excited should be a great time.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
Cj.....dude don't forget to take lots of incriminating photo's of you humping a bike...and have fun!
tires set them at 30psi front 30 psi rear.
water wetter is recommended..
make sure you have lots of liquid in yourself bro, and stretch out your legs and arms.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I use regular water and water wetter - some use distiled, but not necessary IMO.

For tire pressure, it depends on what tire. Check with a local performance shop (i.e. does race tuning, not a dealer). There may be someone at the track, but in case there isn't, I'd find out ahead of time.

Tape up the lights and remove mirrors, make sure your brake pads are ok, tires have life left, and suspension is set to the right sag (at minimum) and (if possible) have someone check rebound/compression. Check pressures like you said, and go have fun.

Just ride within your capabilities and don't feel like it is a race. I have seen many people get on the track and go balls out just because it is legal to do so, or make stupid passes, and end up turning their bike into a taco.

Get ready to get addicted!

don't use tap water dude, it has minerals in it that will cause a scale build up. like the scale build up on your faucets and shower heads etc..

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cj.....dude don't forget to take lots of incriminating photo's of you humping a bike...and have fun!
tires set them at 30psi front 30 psi rear.
water wetter is recommended..
make sure you have lots of liquid in yourself bro, and stretch out your legs and arms.
Take blackmail pics of myself??? I can probably work something out. :lmao

But I refuse to take any looking at paytheons ass and licking my lips :homo

don't use tap water dude, it has minerals in it that will cause a scale build up. like the scale build up on your faucets and shower heads etc..
I was planning on using distilled water, and I need to read up on water wetter. Thanks for all the tips guys! Ill be sure to post some pics.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,250 Posts
Yes, that is correct. Consider Engine Ice if it has been approved by the track.

Also... check with the tire guys at the track for pressure, and let them know whether or not you are running tire warmers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts