Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has probably been covered in this forum and if so, please link the thread.

I am wondering what bike protection you guys are using..

I have come across "GB Racing Protection Bundle".. which covers
  • Alternator / Generator / Stator Case Cover
  • Clutch / Gearbox Case Cover
  • Pulse / Timing Case Cover
  • Bullet Frame Sliders, left and right (Street or Race)
  • 6mm Paddock Stand / Swingarm Crash Bobbins
  • Lower Chain Guard / Shark Fin
Is this kit worth it?..

I am also looking for a suitable tank protector (08 r6) ??

What else?

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
I run the following setup on both bikes ('08 & '14):

1. woodcraft case savers (left & right)
2. clip ons
3. fixed peg rearsets (vortex & gilles)
4. woodcraft frame sliders ('08 only)
5. ETI tank sliders ('08 only)

You'll hear differing opinions between the GB and woodcraft. Some prefer the GB as they simply go over the oem covers and don't require removing the oem ones. I prefer the woodcraft as they're beefier and have replaceable sliders, but they're also more expensive.

I'm mixed on frame sliders. I run the woodcraft on the '08 as they're low profile, but that bike still tumbled last Feb so I didn't put them on the '14. Sliders are better if the bike stays on the track/road, but more often it's the grass or transition to grass that causes the flips.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
The best protection from crashing is not crashing. ;)
beat me to it :)

but for anyone doing track riding/racing, please, for everyone's sake, get engine case covers of some sort to prevent oil from going on the track.. the stator cover is magnesium and very thin. Oil will come out, and ya will likely ruin a stator in a minor lowside without case protection. I have seen cranks get damaged from crashes without stator cover protection. (if stator gets pushed onto the magneto/flywheel hard enough..)

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
This is what I use.

Attachments

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
I run the following setup on both bikes ('08 & '14):

1. woodcraft case savers (left & right)
2. clip ons
3. fixed peg rearsets (vortex & gilles)
4. woodcraft frame sliders ('08 only)
5. ETI tank sliders ('08 only)

You'll hear differing opinions between the GB and woodcraft. Some prefer the GB as they simply go over the oem covers and don't require removing the oem ones. I prefer the woodcraft as they're beefier and have replaceable sliders, but they're also more expensive.

I'm mixed on frame sliders. I run the woodcraft on the '08 as they're low profile, but that bike still tumbled last Feb so I didn't put them on the '14. Sliders are better if the bike stays on the track/road, but more often it's the grass or transition to grass that causes the flips.
This plus a clutch slider is what I use.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The best tank sliders I've seen are made local and sold at a small track shop in Ontario.

http://www.bickleracing.com/

For 2006+ R6r bikes they are the best build quality I've seen for tank sliders.

I have a 2004 R6 track bike, I found the small shop that makes the sliders, gave him my tank for molds, and he made some tank sliders. Layers of carbon fiber and kevlar. I don't know of any others on the market for 03-05 R6 bikes.

I went for a 100 ft slide on the track last year, it shaved the slider and completely protected the tank. Money well spent for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up going with the ETI tank sliders but have a few questions..

Did anyone have issues spraying over their 'primed' coat?? When I sprayed it (black) it bubbled and came out looking pretty crap even with a few coats.. This usually means the primer is not suited to the paint (I would say)?.. I cant remember the type of paint but am wondering if anyone had the same problem?..

Should I try sanding back and priming again?

Also, how exactly do you go about installing them? Do you need to lift the fuel tank out of the way (for an 08 R6)? the instructions dont mention this at all..
The screw provided requires a BOLT/washer, so in order to get to the bolt (behind the fuel tank), the tank would need to be removed, correct?

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
I've painted mine twice now, using fresh primer both times. No issues w/ peeling paint or anything and used basic dupli color rattle can from pep boys.

Yes, I would try sanding and priming again.

For install, you need to lift the tank to drill a small hole in each side of the upper tank cowl. The rear uses the same screw as the side black tank fairings.

Here's mine after the respray a few months back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
gb cases are great, my sponsor sells them, bluestreakracing, i had a fella message me on here to tell me that the price from blue streak was better than anything else he found, worth checking out, tell tony mariusz sent you if you inquire about them.

i like the gb cases because they bolt over the stock cases so you get that much extra protection, plus they fit nice and have a real clean look when installed. as for frame sliders, im starting to steer away from them. ive crashed my gixxer twice, first time it saved the body, second time it saved some of it as well, the sliders however on my r6 had a grade 8 bolt im guessing as it broke a half inch in to the frame, needless to say we pulled the motor last night, had to drill it, damaged the threads, had to drill it, fill it with jb weld and repair the mount. so im leaning towards avoid frame sliders for that reason. it was about an hour to drill out enough to remove the motor and a couple hours of work to fix. so its really a toss up for me now. granted my first crash on the gixxer i broke a peg which saved some of the body and most of the exhaust, the swing arm slider took some damage but did its job quite well.
that being said i watched a 675 daytona crash and the frame slider hit the grass and tore a chunk out of the frame.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
For what y'all are spending for stuff to protect your bike in a crash - which it won't - you could buy a decent track bike with some rash, I mean character, already on it, and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

<-- here's mine

·
Registered
112 Posts
For what y'all are spending for stuff to protect your bike in a crash - which it won't - you could buy a decent track bike with some rash, I mean character, already on it, and you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Saying that every type of bike protection doesn't work is a very broad statement, and I'm pretty sure that every person who has gone for a slide will be disagreeing with you on that one.

Are you going to argue that race clipons, rearsets, and engine cases are for stupid people to waste their money on and that they serve no useful purpose if you go for a slide? Because I'm pretty sure that every person at the track will be disagreeing with you on that one. And the majority of track bikes out there will have these 3 items for in case the bike goes down. That makes them 'protection' items.

Going all out on protection won't protect you from every type of crash, but it has the potential to minimize damage, and if you're lucky not end your day early.

I had tank sliders on when I went for a 100 foot slide. The damage to my slider indicated my tank might have been rashed all the way through, saved me $350+ for another good used tank. For me, money well spent.

I had race clipons on the bike. The bar bent instead of snapping like the oem would have. $15 to replace the bar rather than $100+ for oem. For me, money well spent.

Vortex rearsets, the peg on the sliding side of the bike ground half way down and the foot peg/lever bent from the slide, rather than snapping like the oem would have in this instance. Replaced the peg for $23, bent the other bits strait (billet aluminum is good for one bend, oem cast aluminum not so much). For me, money well spent.

Woodcraft engine cases with slider plates. Got lucky and they only took a little rash. But the impact from my high side? I've seen oem cases crack from less, besides that oem cases are paper thin aluminum. For me, money well spent.

Sure, there is lots of protection bits out there that are only good for a specific kind of uncommon crash and most people won't think about buying it. But saying that none of it works? No, not on your side for that one. Mostly because it's worked for me and just about every person I've ever met at the track.

If the plan is just to never fall, or to only low side around the slowest hairpin corner, then problem solved, bike protection is a pointless investment.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts

<-- here's mine
Tell that to 99% of countless people who have crashed with frame sliders/engine covers/tank covers. Or this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQy72y6lU8

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
um what kinda motorcycle are you buying for ~$750 that's mechanically sound & will pass a tech safety inspection?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts