Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 06 r6 and it has been pulling to the right lately to the point where I got to lean my body to the left just to keep it going straight. I checked psi and it was fine and it was not windy. Thought it might be the road but it consistently pulls right on any road. The one thing I found is if i run my finger across the tread of the tires i feel a raised bump running along the tread of the tires. Don't know if that could be affecting it, other than that the tires look fine.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_crowned_road

Also, if your tires have bumps they're cupped. That's going to need replacing (and stop the wheelies!).

Check how tight your steering head nut is (36mm, top of the triple tree), it doesn't need to be very tight at ALL, and if it's too tight it'll cause handling issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I never wheelie and I know about crowned roads. I think its what you were saying about the cupped tires. I just don't know how they got that way I have only ridden the bike about 4,500 miles and I am not an aggressive rider. Anyone know some good deals on some quality tires? I got those stock dunlops on their right now that no one seems to like.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I never wheelie and I know about crowned roads. I think its what you were saying about the cupped tires. I just don't know how they got that way I have only ridden the bike about 4,500 miles and I am not an aggressive rider. Anyone know some good deals on some quality tires? I got those stock dunlops on their right now that no one seems to like.
Yeah, they suck.

If you ride street and you don't push it to the limit (although I've beaten mine pretty hard and they've been great to me) I would suggest the Pilot Road 2. I've ridden my set for 4500 mostly highway miles and still flog the shit out of them on the street on weekends and they look brand spankin' new.

Lots of guys will suggest softer, more track oriented tires but if you're not on the track or running twisties constantly, it's a waste and they wear out very quickly.

ALSO-- I don't think your tires are causing your steering issue.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the rear tire is aligned properly within the adjusters?

Also, as mentioned, steering head bearings...maybe shot, maybe too tight, maybe just need to be re-greased (it is an 06)

And your tires might be cupped due to mis alignment issues...

Also, look into fork alignment as well...

Good luck and let us know what you find...

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Lots of guys will suggest softer, more track oriented tires but if you're not on the track or running twisties constantly, it's a waste and they wear out very quickly.
The power pures are on mega sale right now for $239 thru RidersDiscount.

I love em
Like I said..

Have you checked to make sure the rear tire is aligned properly within the adjusters?

Also, as mentioned, steering head bearings...maybe shot, maybe too tight, maybe just need to be re-greased (it is an 06)

And your tires might be cupped due to mis alignment issues...

Also, look into fork alignment as well...

Good luck and let us know what you find...
I was referring to the Steering head nut, the 36mm big guy right on the top of the triple tree.. I'm with you on re-greasing the steering head bearing, but how would one go about tightening a bearing? :poke

I agree with all the rest of your points.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. On my commute to work I hit a lot of bumps and holes on the highway and when i get to downtown it gets even worse so I think that's what might have contributed to the problem, might have knocked something out of alignment, thus cupping the tires. The roads suck around here! as for tires i just need something that's good for regular everyday street use and are good in rain.

·
10,295 Posts
Like I said..

I was referring to the Steering head nut, the 36mm big guy right on the top of the triple tree.. I'm with you on re-greasing the steering head bearing, but how would one go about tightening a bearing? :poke

I agree with all the rest of your points.
That top 36mm nut doesnt tighten the stem bearing...

The best way to tighten the stem bearing is to remove the upper triple, get in there with a spanner wrench, tighten to spec, then reassemble the upper triple, clip-ons, and re-align the forks in the triples at the same time...

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
That top 36mm nut doesnt tighten the stem bearing...

The best way to tighten the stem bearing is to remove the upper triple, get in there with a spanner wrench, tighten to spec, then reassemble the upper triple, clip-ons, and re-align the forks in the triples at the same time...
I know, I repacked the steering head a month ago.. but what I'm saying is that there's nothing to tighten in a bearing.. See below.

·
10,295 Posts
haha, ok, yes I know one cant tighten a bearing per say...I shouldve been more specific when describing.

I shouldve said tighten the steering stem bearing assembly...:lmao

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts