Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys looking for some advice. I have a 1999 r6. I recently had to replace the rectifier and when I did it started up just fine. Ran great. The next morning I went to ride it to work I turned on the choke Let it warm up and once it got over 100 the idle just kept getting lower and lower until it dies. And then it won't start. When I came home that afternoon it did the same thing but during all this I checked it with a voltmeter. It's running 12.4 sitting. 11.9 with the ignition on. And 14.4 it never loses volts any ideas?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,341 Posts
How many miles on it? The symptom you describe is usually associated with a need for a valve adjustment. (tight valve clearance)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
24000. I thought maybe vacuum lock cause it's acting like it's starving for fuel but I ruled that out. The idles just keep dropping till it stalls. I checked the ohms on the coils and they were at 1ohm and 9.5 on the secondary.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,341 Posts
Now see, you made me have to look up the resistance specs.

You primary might be a little high, but if they are all the same, that is not likely your issue. You are 1000 miles past due for a valve lash check. I'd be willing to bet a couple are tight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought i put it in there my bad man. its been a long day. I just checked with my buddy and he never had it done. Is that something that can be done easily at the house? Or would it be better to have the shop do it

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,341 Posts
Checking isn't that bad. If any need to be adjusted, you will need to remove the cams. It isn't hard, but can be intimidating. A shop will charge around $500, easily. IMO it is worth learning to do it yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean the manual shows you how to remove all that. But im gonna look for a youtube video. I was supposed to go to Deals gap this weekend but doesnt look like its gonna happen. I appreciate the advice man.

·
"Dont be afraid to twist"
4 Posts
Hey, just throwing this out there. My bike was shutting down at 180 on the temp. Took it to local Yamaha, diagnosed as poor valve clearance needing adjustment. With labor they wanted 750 dollars hahaha. So I need to learn to also do this, which I believe I have a guy who can help and show me. Also, I never noticed a ticking sound like when I picked it up from the dealer, I feel like they made it worse..but that's just me haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It actually ended up being some pretty clogged carbs. But i think there more underlaying issues. Im having fuel issues now so i think my pump may be bad as well gonna replace al the lines and the filter tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts