Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently did an oil change on my 08 R6 with a K&N 204-1 filter and 10w-40 from Motul 1 where I accidentally over filled it on my first run. Had it smoking on me on my test ride (around 4-5mins). I immediately drained the proper amount of oil to around half dipstick level~ but after another test run, I'm still seeing/smelling white smoke coming from where the airbox/triple tree is and a little from the exhaust. I did some research before making the post and seems like it could be excess oil burning from when I overfilled it. Could this be the case and it's just burning oil for now? Should I be worried and keep letting it burn off excess? I used yamalube before and this hasn't happened.

Also getting conflicting comments about it being a coolant problem because oil burns blue.

Thank you

·
Registered
115 Posts
Probably shot oil into the airbox via the crankcase breather. Clean the airbox up bud and around the throttle bodies if any has leaked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably shot oil into the airbox via the crankcase breather. Clean the airbox up bud and around the throttle bodies if any has leaked out.
Does oil residue being in the airbox cause it to smoke? Didn't know the two were linked. I'm doing a few more test runs to see if it'll just burn off, hopefully a coolant flush tmr to see if that helps. are there any major signs that I should look out for though?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does oil residue being in the airbox cause it to smoke? Didn't know the two were linked. I'm doing a few more test runs to see if it'll just burn off, hopefully a coolant flush tmr to see if that helps. are there any major signs that I should look out for though?
Oil going through the airbox into the cylinders would cause smoke from the exhaust, oil draining from the air box onto the block would burn off, oil on the headers (perhaps from changing the filter) would cause smoke from the manifold.

Over oiling can cause damage to bearings by frothing the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts