Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 r6 and i noticed the other night when riding that it is sputtering and missing/backfiring between 6-8k rpms below 5k prms it runs fine and idles like normal. what do you guys think it might be? a dirty carb or bad spark plug or coil? or something different. luckily i just fixed my gto so the bike has been driven 5 miles like this just to get it home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was told the mods on the bike are a yoshi header and pipe and that the bike was already synced for the mods

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
It's more than likely that you need to adjust the slide needles in the carbs. If the bike has a jet kit, move the needle one clip lower or higher and see if it helps.. If it doesn't have a jet kit with adjustable needles they can be shimmed. If you see it has adjustable needles, and the clip is way high or low, go the opposite with your adjustment. Ex. if its on the 2nd clip down, goto the 3rd, but if it's on the 5th, move it to the 4th, etc..

It can't hurt to check other easier things first tho. Fuel filter, air filter, etc..

·
You see my cool wheelie?
94 Posts
buy yourself and ivans jet kit and never look back, it absolutely transformed my bike. there is no comparison!

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
buy yourself and ivans jet kit and never look back, it absolutely transformed my bike. there is no comparison!
I've never heard anything bad about ivans kits. :fact

In reality, you don't need a jet kit. You can save around $80 by just ordering the individual jets and shimming your needles. The results will be more than satisfactory.

·
You see my cool wheelie?
94 Posts
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/r6.htm/

Ivan spent almost 2 years testing this kit before he released it, it runs absurdly well. It replaces the main air and fuel, and the pilot air and he sends you all of the taps necessary to pull the stock jets, thread the holes and replace with new jets. His needles alone have 5 different grind angles to get the absolutely best profile. My bike now feels damn near as fast as a 750 in the top end.

He also offered me great customer support over the phone as I have a frankenstein 03 engine with the 99 carbs in my 99 R6 and he was extremely helpful. His instructions are very thorough and I would buy the kit again in a second. Previously I have never purchased a jet kit and have always just bought the jets myself and shimmed the needle but with a bike this touchy it is really worth it. It will transform your bike.

By no means am I affiliated with Ivans products. Just a VERY happy customer.

For another look into how well thought out this kit is he states that the secondaries on your mid-pipe must be between 6-10" ( stock header works fine) otherwise it's not going to run right. It also requires the stock air filter and all airbox plumbing to be factory. It actually made a big difference for me.

If your willing to pay for it, you will not regret it.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/r6.htm/

Ivan spent almost 2 years testing this kit before he released it, it runs absurdly well. It replaces the main air and fuel, and the pilot air and he sends you all of the taps necessary to pull the stock jets, thread the holes and replace with new jets. His needles alone have 5 different grind angles to get the absolutely best profile. My bike now feels damn near as fast as a 750 in the top end.

He also offered me great customer support over the phone as I have a frankenstein 03 engine with the 99 carbs in my 99 R6 and he was extremely helpful. His instructions are very thorough and I would buy the kit again in a second. Previously I have never purchased a jet kit and have always just bought the jets myself and shimmed the needle but with a bike this touchy it is really worth it. It will transform your bike.

By no means am I affiliated with Ivans products. Just a VERY happy customer.

For another look into how well thought out this kit is he states that the secondaries on your mid-pipe must be between 6-10" ( stock header works fine) otherwise it's not going to run right. It also requires the stock air filter and all airbox plumbing to be factory. It actually made a big difference for me.

If your willing to pay for it, you will not regret it.
Thanks for the info and review!! :cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts