Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2008 R6 I bought about 7 months ago. It ran fine, I road it about 2 miles after buying it and parked it in the garage. I replaced a few minor things on it. Clutch and brake levers, clutch cable and replaced the lowering links with OEM ones. I was preparing to start riding it next week so, I have changed the oil and put in anti-freeze per maintenance guide and a K&N air filter. went to fill it up with gas (in my garage) and noticed that all the gas came right back out. So I bought a brand new tank and replaced it. While I had the tank off I noticed the O-ring of the fuel pump was tore so I replaced it and also replaced the center piece of the pump (the part with the filter) with a new one. Now the bike will not stay on for more than 20-30 seconds. I have checked for bends in the lines as well as leakage or fuel loss. I keep getting the same result. If I can get any assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

Below is a 57 second video of what its doing. I can not figure out how to upload a video here to this site unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2008 R6 I bought about 7 months ago. It ran fine, I road it about 2 miles after buying it and parked it in the garage. I replaced a few minor things on it. Clutch and brake levers, clutch cable and replaced the lowering links with OEM ones. I was preparing to start riding it next week so, I have changed the oil and put in anti-freeze per maintenance guide and a K&N air filter. went to fill it up with gas (in my garage) and noticed that all the gas came right back out. So I bought a brand new tank and replaced it. While I had the tank off I noticed the O-ring of the fuel pump was tore so I replaced it and also replaced the center piece of the pump (the part with the filter) with a new one. Now the bike will not stay on for more than 20-30 seconds. I have checked for bends in the lines as well as leakage or fuel loss. I keep getting the same result. If I can get any assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

Below is a 57 second video of what its doing. I can not figure out how to upload a video here to this site unfortunately.

Rail not primed yet? You've got to get fuel in the rail buddy.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Sounds like it's priming but the sound gets rather odd as it builds pressure in the line.

Have you verified fuel pressure against spec?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rail not primed yet? You've got to get fuel in the rail buddy.
@1202067 - I will add more fuel to the tank and try again first thing in the morning. I was sure it was priming but then again I am no mechanic and simply follow instructions.
@Intuit - I am sorry to bother you but can you explain or provide a link to how I can do that.

Thank you both in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

I'm not sure about the 08 R6 fuel module, but it primes & starts ok, but just shuts off? Might be a fuel flow problem? & ya did state you swapped out the fuel filter, & i think the fuel reg is on that part? Have ya checked the fuel regulator? Or better yet if ya filter swap out had the reg included? Swap out the old reg from the other you removed? & see? It's not a big job to check?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, the new one came with the reg. I want to do as you suggested however, I can not seem to get the "filter" off the old one.(Just figured how to get it off. I will try all this tomorrow and update you all. Thank you)
"No worries mate", it also pays to pick up a tube of rubber grease, to lightly coat O rings & rubber seals, so further reassembly- disassembly's will vastly reduce wear, & the chance of tearing em up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Spider64 Okay, I will do that as I wait for the next part. So this is what I have done now.

Took the NEW reg OUT of the Old fuel pump housing. I was able to get the new and old filter off both pump and then switch. So the clean new filter is on the old reg with the original wiring and housing. I replaced it and filled it all the way up with gas (took way more than I thought it would). I then turned I primed it 3 times.. Then I attempted to turn it on ....heard a click...NOTHING...then I press the starter again and it cracked up and died. (At this point I say let me check the lines again). I found that the fuel lines exterior appeared fine. However, I started to squeeze a bit to see if something was clogged in the lines but found there where 3 unseen brakes behind the outer tubing of the hose. I took some plies and squeezed the rubber hose in in place to attempt to give it a cylinder structure. After about 3 minutes of doing this I tried again. It ran for almost 2 minutes before dying. So I believe that may be my culprit. I was going to try again however, I did not have my gas tank propped up and almost lost my middle finger as it slammed down on top of it cutting to the meat.(extra info there moral of that part is don't cut corners). ..Anyway here is a video I took of the line.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2016/yzfr6-yzfr6gcgy/intake-2
Pretty sure its part 31 and I checked from 2008-2016 and they all have the same part number. I am going to shoot down to the dealership on Tuesday as they should have one in stock for me to pick up. If not I will end up ordering it. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The fuel line will be shown in the cable routing section of the service manual.

I often forget to mention kinked fuel lines. Common issue I overlook quite a bit.

Sounds like you're on the tail end of it now.

Good luck bud!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
@1202067 - You didn't miss anything. He stated in the first post, ".... I have checked for bends in the lines as well as leakage or fuel loss. ...".

Fuel and brake hoses are often if not always multi-layered though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,
Thank you all for your previous suggestions. However, I can not get the bike to start still. I finally received the gas line and plugged it in. However, the same results still occur.

I turn the key while it is in neutral. After the key is turned on I press the starter switch. At that time NOTHING happens it simply makes a click... click ... after doing this a few more times holding down the start longer the bike will begin to run. It will run for about 35-45 seconds. During that time it is dropping in idle. If I give it throttle it dies immediately. I can not start in any gear. Please find videos below.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Runs like sh* when it does run. It's likely stalling. How do those plugs look? Are they properly gapped? As opposed to before, the pump sounds normal. Sounds like you're getting closer to getting this licked. Different engine control setup (older) but my when I had cold start idle issues it was combination of auto-choke (you probably don't have one) and a lean fuel mixture. The issue came on progressively over a period of years and eventually got so bad that touching the throttle would stall it. Vacuum, valve lash and other metrics checked out fine. Returned to normal behavior after enriching the fuel mixture. I've been told by another member that he had similar issues and his timing chain was stretched.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bike appeared to run fine on purchase. The items that I changed where

Installed new full exhaust
Clutch Cable
Clutch Lever
removed servo
added servo buddy
fuel hose
Gas tank cap
Added kickstand

I will now pull the plugs and simply replace them as you seem to suggest.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Okay then that explains it. After all those exhaust changes, need to have it tuned.

Idling an engine with this cam/stroke/compression combination, optimized for high RPM is tricky. So "minor" changes have a big impact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
below is the exhaust that is now on thaw bike.

you're staying u should have it tuned. I was under the impression it do so the bike needed to be running?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts