Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My R1 Owns Me...
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I hate to ask but;

I have a 2008 R6 with 4713 miles on it that is completely stock besides an Akrapovic slip on.

On cold start bike cranks up fine. Once the bike has warmed up. I turn it off and then turn the key back to the on position. Press the start button and it starts but then shuts right back off.

Also while it was running from the cold start you can kinda has a strong gas smaill and when you rev the bike it has a light hessitation at around 2-3k rpm, but once higher then that it screams.

Bike will only start if you hold throttle open to keep it from dying once it cranks. Bike rides perfectly fine, but it is a hassle having to hold throttle open for 3-5 seconds to keep it from dying.

I have not checked the battery, but it seems to have enough power to crank the bike so I don't think it's in need of a new battery, I'm thinking it might be a bad spark plug or wire since the smell of gas is present while running.

If you have any info that might help I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Slick bike man. I had this exact same problem and it was in fact the battery, the battery had enough juice to start it half of the time(battery showed only 16% life when tested) but not enough to keep it running. It would crank over, hit like it wanted to run, and then die. Replaced with a Scorpion battery from batterystuff and now it starts perfect.

Have the battery tested at a parts store first, but from my experience I have a feeling this is your problem.

Edit: Just seen it starts when cold, mine didn't start period, may not have anything to do with the battery?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Is your idle speed set correctly?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is it firing on all 4? Simple way to test if you dont have a heat gun is to lick your fingers and tap each exhaust pipe fairly close to the head, you will be able to tell if one isnt firing consistently from the heat difference. That is an easy thing to check and eliminate.

·
I eat chicken strips
348 Posts
Hold the start button down about a second or two longer and it'll stay running. And there's no need to touch the throttle when doing this. Promise.

·
My R1 Owns Me...
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hold the start button down about a second or two longer and it'll stay running. And there's no need to touch the throttle when doing this. Promise.
I changed spark plugs and no change, but then I was getting irritated at this point, so I was like screw it and I held the ignition button down for a second or so longer then it should take and wouldn't you know she fired right up.

Thinking it was a fluke I let her run for about 3-5 minutes, hit the kill switch and did it again. Hallelujah were back in buisness. LoL.

Whatever it is you nailed it; holding the start button for a second longer and it stays running. Wish you would have come along several weeks ago when I first posted this. Unfortunately the post became off subject about another members sig, so I had to make another post.

THANKS R6 FORUMS!!!!

Randy

·
I eat chicken strips
348 Posts
No problem. Sucks you changed plugs already though. My buddy's R6 did the same thing and he asked me to come over and check it out. I can't tell you what causes it, but it worked. And worked every time after.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
that is weird lol...good to know though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts