Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine had to store his R6 for a few years as he and his family were going through hard times.

I am going to help him get it running again. We will be doing the usual stuff (fresh fuel, new brake fluid, new tires, battery, check tank for rust).

I have 2 questions. When I change my oil I let the bike warm up and then drain it. Will there be any issues doing this since the bike has sat for a few years, should I drain it cold.

The second is an air filter question. His bike has a BMC filter in it. Should I just be able to clean and oil it or should he pick up a new filter.

Thanks for the help.

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts
I wouldn't start the bike. Deal with the possible tank rust first, then change the oil. You may want to crank the engine by hand so you aren't going to start it dry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya first thing is make sure the tank looks ok and add some fresh fuel. I was thinking I could drain the oil and change the filter, fire it up, and then do another oil change after it ran for a wile. Might be overkill but it would make sure it got anything that had settled out of the engine.

Also, I have never cranked an engine by hand, how is that done?

Thanks

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
On the right side of the motor their will be a bigger round cover with a wide slot cut in it, kind of like a flat head screw driver slot. Take that off. Behind it will be a bolt that you will put a socket and breaker bar/ratchet on. Turn it clockwise

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pics. I will make sure to do that before we try to start it for the first time.

Anybody have info about the filter. I think it should be fine after I clean it and oil it.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
lift the tank off, disconnect the fuel lines, drain ALL the fuel out of the fuel rail before you start the bike.. Just draining the tank is not good enough. There is old funky fuel in the fuel line and the fuel rail, and it will take a good bit for the fresh gas to get to the injectors. A compressed air tip will get the fuel flowing out of the fuel rail end.. i would just drain the oil as it sits first, pour in a few quarts of rotella T 15/40 (not expensive, decent oil), run the bike, the drain again and put in your fav oil. (I use silkolene Pro4 but rotella T6 synth 5/40 will work if on a budget).

Then other stuff you mentioned. I don't see the reason for worrying about the air filter if it just sat though..

Also not understanding the reason for turning the motor over at the ignition cover. Do the oil changes, and crank that thing.. There is no way you will crank it over fast enough to move oil with a wratchet at the ignition cover. We build oil PSI on a fresh build by removing the spark plugs and cranking for a good while. this ensures oil is everywhere before it fires up.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to pick up the bike today and trailer it over to my garage and get started on it. Will post some updates later on today about how it is going.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will pick up some low priced oil and run it first. I have a few cases of Mobil 1 4t in the garage so I will put some of that in after I have ran it for a wile.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
good advice melk... i'll be doing the same for mine here very soon. been sitting for 18 months. :( life got really crazy. but seems to be settling back down now.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agg - I will be getting in touch with you in the next month or so to pick up a drain valve and a set of bleeders. Might pick up a few of the oil drain valve systems :)

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
just lemme know man. i'll video my install of the oil drain valve so you and everyone else can see how fantastic it truly is. shoulda done that with the bleeder valves, but i was too excited about using em. :laugh

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
life.. it happens..

317 rider. when you get the new gas in, don't connect the fuel line just yet. Get some hose to go from the fuel pump to a small container and turn the key on. Ensure you have good fuel pressure. The r6 pump is pretty good, but if there was ethanol in the fuel and it literally sat for 3 years or so.. check the pump before moving forward.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
life.. it happens..

317 rider. when you get the new gas in, don't connect the fuel line just yet. Get some hose to go from the fuel pump to a small container and turn the key on. Ensure you have good fuel pressure. The r6 pump is pretty good, but if there was ethanol in the fuel and it literally sat for 3 years or so.. check the pump before moving forward.
My bike had sat in pieces for 4 years when I bought it. Rebuilt it from the ground up and went to fire it for the first time. No fuel pressure. Fuel pump had gas that turned rock hard!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the bike to my garage today and did not have time to really get into it but I checked the tank and did not see any rust.

He said he thought he put fuel stabilizer in it before he put it away. The fuel looked normal and smelled normal. I will be pulling the tank this week and getting to work on it.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I got the bike to my garage today and did not have time to really get into it but I checked the tank and did not see any rust.

He said he thought he put fuel stabilizer in it before he put it away. The fuel looked normal and smelled normal. I will be pulling the tank this week and getting to work on it.
most fuel stabilizers are designed to work for 12 months or less. especially if it's an ethanol blend fuel . Pretty much during storage during the "off season" for whatever the machine was designed to do. Many will say so right on the bottle. You may have no issues at all, just don't expect a fuel stabilizer to work for that long a time.. hopefully it works perfect

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, I am still going to remove as much of the fuel as possible. I was just surprised that it looked normal and smelled normal. Having said that I don't really have much experience with old fuel and how it changes over time.

Should have the fuel out and the oil changed sometime during the middle of the week. We will see how it turns out.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Got the air filter cleaned, changed the oil, and got as much fuel out as I could.

Put fresh fuel in......and it fired right up with no problems.

All that's left is a coolant flush, new brake fluid, a good wash and some new tires :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts