Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuously doing research to prepare for next year, one of the obstacles to tackle is bike transport. On the occasions I do not have transport lined up, I've been trying to reason what would be a good way to get to track days alone and with minimum investment. Since I do not own neither a pick up / SUV or a home with driveway / garage I've been thinking this somewhat: a versahaul connected to an installed hitch to my standard 4 door sedan? I have an '04 Passat and an '06 Altima, and was wondering your opinions as to overall reliability & safety of this type of transport. I've seen plenty of people with hitches mounted on standard 4 door sedans (and in the advent I could borrow someone's SUV in the off chance) and the versahaul seems to be the most cost and space effective, since I can literally keep it in my basement and mount / dismount as I need. I've attached a photo of the product. My most major concern would be the reliability in which the hitch is installed to handle the weight. Thanks for your opinions / concerns

Attachments

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same worry here. My biggest hesitation is the drives home. Figure to get to the track late evening before or early morning I can't imagine much stop / go, but caught in traffic getting home etc I'd give me reason to question it.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
as long as it has 3 mounting points and doesnt rely solely on the receiver hitch... that would be a nice setup.

·
Waiting On the weather...
1,270 Posts
First off these will only be for a class 3 or higher receiver hitch. You will not be able to get more than a class 2 for the above mentioned cars.

That brings me to the second thing. You are talking about putting a 400lb. bike approx. 1-2 feet off the back of a sedan that is barley rated for that much load in the trunk. The load from that much weight with that kind of leverage would likely have the front tires off the ground.

One last thing im not sure of the load rating for this one specifically but most are onlt rated for average weight of a dirt bike.

IMO your best bet is to save this money and find a small pickup for using to haul the bike around. Or at the least put the hitch on the car and get a small trailer.

52,014 Posts
Not worth the risk. Period.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Not worth the risk. Period.
I think its funny that you guys honestly believe that those hitch mounts are going to break. I would be suspect on like a class 1 or 2 hitch, but above that, they are rated to take more than enough tongue weight to adequately handle your bike. Assuming you can securely mount it and keep it from moving around, it will be just fine. Still though, I have a truck so I dont have to worry...:laugh

52,014 Posts
I think its funny that you guys honestly believe that those hitch mounts are going to break. I would be suspect on like a class 1 or 2 hitch, but above that, they are rated to take more than enough tongue weight to adequately handle your bike. Assuming you can securely mount it and keep it from moving around, it will be just fine. Still though, I have a truck so I dont have to worry...:laugh
So in other words, you'd be willing to put your RSV-R Factory on a Class III hitch on a VW Passat or Nissan Altima? If you're comfortable with it, all the power to you...

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
So in other words, you'd be willing to put your RSV-R Factory on a Class III hitch on a VW Passat or Nissan Altima? If you're comfortable with it, all the power to you...
If thats what I had to do to get to the track, you would see it.:fact

I went to an enduro once in Oregon with my CR250 and I didnt have a truck and my folks truck was in the shop. I took the bike apart enough to where I could fit it in the back of my VW rabbit and drove it up there in the back. Then I put it together, ran the race, and when it was over, I took it apart again and drove home. Its a question of common sense AND motivation. But then, as I said, I have a truck now..... but I am rather careless... 2 old tiedowns and a single baxley all the way to SLC and back was fine at 85mph... and I have full coverage....so.... yeah...

52,014 Posts
If thats what I had to do to get to the track, you would see it.:fact

I went to an enduro once in Oregon with my CR250 and I didnt have a truck and my folks truck was in the shop. I took the bike apart enough to where I could fit it in the back of my VW rabbit and drove it up there in the back. Then I put it together, ran the race, and when it was over, I took it apart again and drove home. Its a question of common sense AND motivation. But then, as I said, I have a truck now..... but I am rather careless... 2 old tiedowns and a single baxley all the way to SLC and back was fine at 85mph... and I have full coverage....so.... yeah...
Apples and oranges... RSV-R Factory probably weighs around 460 wet which I'm guessing weighs a bit more than your CR250 and would likely not fit well in the back of a VW Rabbit. Carrier/hitch strength aside, you're not going anywhere fast safely and certainly nowhere close to 85. Common sense AND motivation would see him better off riding the bike to the trackday and have a friend/gf take the sedan as a supplies vehicle.

OP, you can look into a Kendon single or multi-rail trailer that will stand up on its end. Maybe you can store it in a friend's garage as it takes up very little floor real estate.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Apples and oranges... RSV-R Factory probably weighs around 460 wet which I'm guessing weighs a bit more than your CR250 and would likely not fit well in the back of a VW Rabbit. Carrier/hitch strength aside, you're not going anywhere fast safely and certainly nowhere close to 85. Common sense AND motivation would see him better off riding the bike to the trackday and have a friend/gf take the sedan as a supplies vehicle.

OP, you can look into a Kendon single or multi-rail trailer that will stand up on its end. Maybe you can store it in a friend's garage as it takes up very little floor real estate.
I wasnt implying that a dirt bike weighs the same or that he should try to fit the bike in his car. I was only stating that where there is a will, there is a way. And if you are hauling anything attached to your hitch and doing 85, youre making a big mistake. Ive ridden to a track day before too...with only a backpack...on two different occasions at two different tracks. Like I said, where there is a will, there is a way. The best move would be a trailer or a small pickup though.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Other options include renting a truck or trailer from uhaul or the equivalent, paying one of your friends with a truck to drive, seeing if you can find someone else on the forum going.... I also know of people who will call the track club to see if they know anyone who is close to you who may be able to help with a ride, especially those guys bringing a trailer and wanting to reduce the gas bill, and you know the club will try to help you if you are buying a day from them... There are a lot of ways to get your bike to the track.

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
Other options include renting a truck or trailer from uhaul or the equivalent, paying one of your friends with a truck to drive, seeing if you can find someone else on the forum going.... I also know of people who will call the track club to see if they know anyone who is close to you who may be able to help with a ride, especially those guys bringing a trailer and wanting to reduce the gas bill, and you know the club will try to help you if you are buying a day from them... There are a lot of ways to get your bike to the track.
Was going to suggest this. Rent a pickup for the day and have piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
I will chime in real quick. You can use that set up if you can get a class 3 hitch. It's not ideal but you can do it safely as long as you have a front engine car.

Maxxx it won't be the prettiest and most logical but as long as you can get everything strapped down you would be good to go!

Steph, you are absolutely right, where there is a will there is a way. You can get it done.

OP Ideally you would want to get a trailer, you can get a hitch attached to your car and you can get a fold away trailer from harbor freight and keep it on your balcony or by the back door. It's and easy set up and can easily tow @ 700 lbs. your bike and your tools if needed.

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
He can buy a fold up trailer and get a hitch installed and it would be something he could use for a long time. and it would only cost 2-3x as much as 1 weekends truck with trailer rental. It's a great long term investment.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts

:werd

Many sedans can be fitted with a hitch to tow a small trailer. You can either buy the small trailer and stand it up on it's end when not in use. Or, you can rent a trailer from U-Haul for $30 a day (depending on the size). Or, rent a pick-up truck or van for the day. Borrow a friend's truck or ask them to come. There are a lot of different ways to get your bike to the track, but I wouldn't trust what you posted unless you had an SUV or truck. Even then, I'd be nervous. :eek5

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Its not like I have seen bikes fall off of trailers though.... oh wait, yeah I have.... It all depends on how well you secure things, how you drive, and so much more. If you are not comfortable with your setup, do something different until you are comfortable.

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
He can buy a fold up trailer and get a hitch installed and it would be something he could use for a long time. and it would only cost 2-3x as much as 1 weekends truck with trailer rental. It's a great long term investment.
Very true. If it is going to be a regular thing then spend the money on a permanent solution.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've put my bike on this thing for 5k miles.
It was on a Chevy Avalanche dough.......
I wouldn't have any concern doing It again.
BUT
I don't think I would do It on a car.....
-hitch size
-car size and weigh
-suspension setting
-laggages inside
all things to keep in mind.!!!
400 lbs on the back of a car.. the suspension will be damn slammed!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts