Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, have a 2007 R6. Bike is completely stock except for a 520 conversion and a speedo dr. The bike sat outside last night and it rained a little bit. Sky cleared up and I went to ride it. The bike started up perfectly and rode perfectly too. Went to go get gas, shut it off (obviously), filled it up and started it up again. Again, nothing out of the ordinary and started up perfectly. Went to go ride it and it bogged out on me and died.

Now it will not stay running. When it is running, it will not rev up and wants to die and eventually does die after a few seconds.

Anyone else have this issue? Anything I can look for besides the general blown fuses? My battery is fine, fuel pump is priming, and the bike will crank over but not fire.

Thanks

·
Laugh now, cry later
994 Posts
Try this : Open your killswitch and clean it. Sometimes dirt gets in it and between connections. Happened to me 2 year ago on my 2003.

2) Bad ign. coils?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried cleaning my kill switch, didn't do anything.

The bike wants to start up but will not fire. I think it is a short in the ignition or something.

Any other info or tips?

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
im literally having the exact same issue right now. i tore everything but the fuel pump apart last night and couldn't find anything. gonna dig back into it tonight, and if i find anything ill let you know.

several of my mechanic friends said that sometimes motorcycles will have problems after it rains and they just need to thoroughly dry out and will be good to go again. i'm hoping this is the case for mine and it will be alright again in a few days...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im literally having the exact same issue right now. i tore everything but the fuel pump apart last night and couldn't find anything. gonna dig back into it tonight, and if i find anything ill let you know.

several of my mechanic friends said that sometimes motorcycles will have problems after it rains and they just need to thoroughly dry out and will be good to go again. i'm hoping this is the case for mine and it will be alright again in a few days...
Was your bike out in the rain before this happened and did it just suddenly die on your like how mine did?

Please let me know if you find anything!

Thank you too!

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
mine was essentially the same. it was out in the rain, then i went to warm her up after work yesterday and she fired up and ran for about 2 minutes at idle then i went to take her down the street and back to warm up a bit more before i left and then she bogged down when i tried to give some throttle and died.

after that it would crank as hard as normal, but wouldn't fire up. i need mine fixed asap too because i'm trying to sell it so i'm hoping by the time i get home its dried itself out and fires up.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
After all of that shenanigans I finally pulled my fuel pump and emptied the tank. My entire pump was filled with water that got in the lines by me trying to crank it repeatedly so I emptied the tank and drained the pump and let it sit and bake in the sun all day today. I grabbed a can of starting fluid on the way home from work and sprayed the intake and on the second shot mine fired up quick and stayed running like normal in the driveway for 30 minutes and then I took her for a ride to be sure.

It'd probably be worth checking your tank like I did. Good luck man...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After all of that shenanigans I finally pulled my fuel pump and emptied the tank. My entire pump was filled with water that got in the lines by me trying to crank it repeatedly so I emptied the tank and drained the pump and let it sit and bake in the sun all day today. I grabbed a can of starting fluid on the way home from work and sprayed the intake and on the second shot mine fired up quick and stayed running like normal in the driveway for 30 minutes and then I took her for a ride to be sure.

It'd probably be worth checking your tank like I did. Good luck man...
Turns out my pump had a bunch of water in it too, drained the tank and found out the problem. Put new fuel into the tank, cranked it over about 20 times and finally got all the water out of the lines and now it runs like normal.

Thanks for the help dude, I appreciate it!

All this trouble for some water in the fuel :mad::curse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.