Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried starting my bike and it won't turn over, I tried jump starting from a car but no luck. so I went and bought a new battery. I tried starting still no luck/ I check ands saw even the lights don't come on. I was wondering if I fried something by jump starting please help. I own a 2001 R6,

·
Registered
786 Posts
Eeeeee...... yea, I think you messed up your bat by trying to jump start it from a car battery.... I think the manual strictly forbids that kinda thing. Guys who are more knowledgeable than me woulda maybe have tried to start the bike by putting it in 4th gear, making sure key is in and set at ON, making sure kill switch isn't on, kickstand up, and then trying to ride/roll it down a hill and dump the clutch....

Try this method with the old battery first... if either battery doesn't start the bike, you may have some wiring problem, which the other guys can help you out with more than I can.

I wouldn't worry too much though, shit happens either way... just lastnight I finally figured out how to get my battery out (have to take the rubber strap holding it down OFF before thinking its a handle and pulling upwards) .....

either way you have a fesh battery which you can keep for later (keep it fresh on a charger if you end up using the old one again and its not messed) ...
Ahhh its friday, dealerships are open late.... I gotta buy a battery tender sometime soon

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question, but did you charge the new battery before you tried starting it up?

As for jump starting, I don't think it's a big deal, 12 volts is 12 volts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the yamaha dealer, he said they do come charged,thats why i am not sure why its not doing anything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I checked the kill switch made sure it was off, I swiched out a couple of fuses with spares but still no luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there one main fuse besides the one in the fuse box that might control all the pwr ??. because even if it doesn't start atleast lights should come on.

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
What does it do when you hit the start button? Anything? Do you hear the solenoid click? If it does nothing at all, disconnect the + and check the resistance of the wire to the starter.

Also, check your ground wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help, but for some reason the main fuse was missing, and I don't see the spare either, I have no idea how it ran before, i just put a wire to jumper and see if that was it, and everything came up. but still don't have a clue how it ran this long!!!

·
Hit It and Quit It
1,716 Posts
thanks for all the help, but for some reason the main fuse was missing, and I don't see the spare either, I have no idea how it ran before, i just put a wire to jumper and see if that was it, and everything came up. but still don't have a clue how it ran this long!!!
Maybe a friend was jacking with you and took it out.
Like some I know who like to hit the kill switch when you are at a light. :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss

·
Something Clever
1,272 Posts
Is the rest of your electiral system alright? That's what a car battery damages, the electrical system and hence why you shouldn't use one. Wow, I think that's the first time I've used "hence" sober......shite.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i cant tell u how long ive sat and just tried and tried to get my 4 wheeler to start only to see that the kill swith was on...... OMG do u ever feel like a complete dumbass :cuss

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, dont ever jump a bike from a car eventhough there both 12v, cars have 2x or more amps than bikes and will fry your whole electrical circuit.

·
Registered
586 Posts
R6_on_1_wheel said:
First of all, dont ever jump a bike from a car eventhough there both 12v, cars have 2x or more amps than bikes and will fry your whole electrical circuit.
Weird, I've done it on more than one occasion, even on different bikes, and didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
did you figure out the problem? my bike is having the same problem....where is the "main" fuse if you dont mind me asking. I'm on a 99 ... i think they're both the same.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i agree with R6_on_1_wheel....... that would prolly be the last thing i use to jump my bike....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ve heard its totally fine to jump start from a car, heard it many times from different technicians

1 - 20 of 25 Posts