Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got finished putting on my new tires..then i took it around the block to warm it up to clean the change.
-Turn bike off
-Try to turn it on again to ride up driveway
-Nothing turns on, and nothing flashes on the display
-When i turn the key to on it makes a little buzzy noise where the key hole is (not clicking like a battery would)

Overall i am confused on why it would run and start fine before and then all the sudden not even budge anything electric. I checked wiring and fuses and everything seems to be fine..YES my kickstand was up :*tongue

Thanks for further help or tips

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, after i had it on the battery tender for 20 minutes i turned the key again, this time the display did show up... but the buzzing continued to buzz as long as it was turned to on

·
click, click, vroom!
872 Posts
it sounds like your battery, or possibly a bad connection at one of the terminals. that buzz in the video sounds like a relay trying to engage that just doesn't have enough current to it. i can't tell from the video where exactly the buzzing is coming from, but that could be the relay for the fuel pump trying to kick on to prime the pump, it could be a flasher relay if you accidentally left a blinker on when you parked the bike. either way, it looks like you've got enough juice to turn the cluster on but not power anything else. check voltage at the battery, or just pop it out and run it in to autozone or oreilly's and have them test it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Ok so after a nights worth of having the battery on the tender i went to try to start the bike, when i turned the key to ON everything lite up normally and the display was working. After trying to use the electric starter it completely killed everything on the display and the original problem was back to normal.

Is this indicating that my starter relay has gone bad? :usa

·
click, click, vroom!
872 Posts
no, that sounds to me like you've got a bad battery. if your battery is bad you can leave it on a charger as long as you want and it won't take a full charge. like i said before, take a voltage reading on the battery or take it out of the bike and get it tested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, that sounds to me like you've got a bad battery. if your battery is bad you can leave it on a charger as long as you want and it won't take a full charge. like i said before, take a voltage reading on the battery or take it out of the bike and get it tested.
awesome, thanks for the advice ima go run this battery thru those tests

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOLUTION: so turns out it was the battery, i just took it out and tested the voltage and it was steady at 12.6, but as i turned the key to ON it went down to 5-6

1 - 9 of 9 Posts