Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, short back story. Bike was acquired a few weeks again from a friends sibling. Was wrecked, and now I have a project. The bike came with a key broken off in the ignition, no big deal right? Hah, much bigger of a deal than I thought it'd be. Well this past Saturday I broke down the front end and after a few hours of screwing around with it, got the ignition cylinder off the tree. New one has arrived and will be going on next week sometime, so this isn't a thread about "hotwiring" a R6.

However, insert the problem. I was not sure if the bike would fire, so I did cross some wires and baaazing fired right up! In my haste/excitment some wires accidentally got crossed that shouldn't have been crossed I think.

The reason this happened was because I really wanted to know if the bike started as that was one of the big mysteries of buying a broken bike.. I should have just been patient.. :rocket

The ignition has red, brown, and two different blues. Well the blues and the red and brown touched each other while the bike was on and it instantly shut down, and now I get nothing when hitting the start. Fuel pump primes, lights come up, but the starter button won't do anything now...

The question is, what did I blow? What should I look into?

Thanks guys.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
It's worth using a continuity tester or a multimeter to check the fuses if you have one. Occasionally, depending on where they blow, it can be hard to tell visually if they're still OK or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
there is a big 40 amp dead center under the seat, sounds like you may have nuked it, there is a spare under there in the same spot, just try that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
there is a big 40 amp dead center under the seat, sounds like you may have nuked it, there is a spare under there in the same spot, just try that
Alrighty, I'll check that out.

Are the only fuse boxes the one on the left side of the bike, and the one under the seat?

I won't be able to mess with it until this weekend, so updates may be slow.

·
Formerly UnknownResource
490 Posts
Alrighty, I'll check that out.

Are the only fuse boxes the one of the left side of the bike and under the seat?

I won't get able to mess with it until this weekend, so updates may be slow.
Yup. There are 2 fuses on the starter solenoid under the seat. Check those too.

sent while on the move

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update... Turns out to be something to do with the kickstand kill switch, or what ever its proper name is. It was starting fine in neutral with the kickstand down. Then, after criss-crossing some wires, that stopped. Wouldn't start at all, neutral or otherwise. It starts fine with the kickstand up, however. So, Derp. lol

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Update... Turns out to be something to do with the kickstand kill switch, or what ever its proper name is. It was starting fine in neutral with the kickstand down. Then, after criss-crossing some wires, that stopped. Wouldn't start at all, neutral or otherwise. It starts fine with the kickstand up, however. So, Derp. lol
So is it something with the gear indicator, or did you figure it out?

The bike should start and run in gear (with the clutch in), with the kickstand down, but not both.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Duplicate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So is it something with the gear indicator, or did you figure it out?

The bike should start and run in gear (with the clutch in), with the kickstand down, but not both.

Here's what it does, or doesn't do, rather.

It will start in gear, or neutral, with the kickstand up.

It will not start at all with the kickstand down. It doesn't matter whether it is in neutral or gear, clutch in or out.

Does this point to a the kickstand switch or something to do with the gear indicator?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Here's what it does, or doesn't do, rather.

It will start in gear, or neutral, with the kickstand up.

It will not start at all with the kickstand down. It doesn't matter whether it is in neutral or gear, clutch in or out.

Does this point to a the kickstand switch or something to do with the gear indicator?
Is it possible you wired the neutral and kickstand switches backwards? It should start in neutral with the kickstand up or down, but only in gear with the kickstand up

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Actually I'm not sure if that would explain the behavior you're seeing, but I'd check both those switches and the circuit they use

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only wiring I tinkered with was the ignition switch wiring.

It really has to be wiring at one of those switches, or the switch itself. Seems logical anyway. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts