Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I took my bike for a long 100 mile ride, and when we got back in to town, I noticed my bike would not turn off. Meaning, I turned the ignition to "off" and the "N" light stayed lit and the headlights stayed on. I can also push the estart and it will turn (will not turn over but it will crank) the motor.

I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a couple of days, reconnected the battery and nothing came on. So I started it back up let it warm up to about 150, and hit the kill switch and turned the ignition to "OFF", and the same symptoms occurred.

Anyone have any clues WTF might be going on with my bike? It never did that to me before, but I never took it out on a ride that long either.

Your help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

TYIA, JR

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just reread my post... just so there is no confusion, the bike does actually stop running when I flip the key or hit the kill switch, but the electronics seem to still be on.

Sorry for any confusion.

-JR

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
Length of the ride isn't the problem. Many of us do over 100 miles everyday on our bikes. That's some weird symptoms though, the only thing I can think of that would cause that is if you rewired something wrong and kept it on a constant hot. I have no clue, but someone should chime in with good info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if you cycle the key without starting the bike? Does the cluster stay lit?
Yup sure does, the only difference between on/off when I cycle the key is "OFF" dims the lights on the cluster and the headlights slightly

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you talking with the key still in? or out?
Key still in the ignition, and cycling between the on/off positions. On = lights and cluster on full brightness--ready to rock.

Off = slightly dimmer cluster and headlight....but still powered on like it's ready to rock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know how to read a wiring diagram?
ummm, electrical is not my specialty for sure. I could take a look at it but not sure if I could make much sense of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Short to ground, short to power or lastly a relay with sticking contacts.
Awesome, that gives me something to go by. Should I start at the ignition and follow those wires? Or how exactly would I test for a short to ground, power or a bad relay?:stupic sorry, like I said I am not much of an electritian, but I do own a voltmeter, so enough to be curious/dangerous...haha!

And BTW, thanks for your help so far bro, it is very much appreciated. I'll buy ya a beer if your ever in Albuquerque. :cheers

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,234 Posts
It sounds like it could be a sticky set of contacts in the key switch. Try this: When the key is in the off position, use a small mallet or a screwdriver handle and give the bottom side of the keyswitch a good rap. If the lights go out, this is your problem. If not, you may have two wires that have shorted together somewhere.

If the contacts are sticking, it could be mechanical (meaning the shaft isn't opening the contacts), or it is electrical (meaning one or more have "welded" themselves together) Either way you would probably have to replace the key switch. Although some graphite lube might fix a mechanical issue.

Two wires shorted together will involve taking off bodywork and tracing down wires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, looks like I am gonna have to chase down a ground. I took a screw driver and rubber mallet and gave it a few taps and nothing changed.

I don't know the ground issues seems strange to me, because it was working fine, and then all of a sudden...this.

I am wondering if I should just buy a new ignition and give it a whirl, my only concern is that I don't want to just throw new parts at the problem until I find it, ya know?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bringing this post back from the dead... I finally had time to take my bike apart and look for the issue. I could not find any frayed wires, or exposed wires that were touching anywhere on the bike so I went ahead and assumed it was a bad ignition.

I bought a new ignition and installed it last weekend, the problem was resolved for about 6 hours when I went back out to the garage and found my bike was back on again (even though the key was turned to the off position).

Can anyone offer any insight as to what could possibly be the issue now? I really want to get my bike back in normal running condition so I can start riding it to work ect, or just plan start riding it and not have to worry about a dead battery when I get back on it.

Any help is much appreciated.

-JR

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a great suggestion for a temp fix, but I would prefer to get a more permanent fix in place and just resolve the issue altogether if possible. Any other thoughts on what could be causing this issue?

·
Mexico lindo
667 Posts
Are you talking with the key still in? or out?
Key still in the ignition, and cycling between the on/off positions. On = lights and cluster on full brightness--ready to rock.

Off = slightly dimmer cluster and headlight....but still powered on like it's ready to rock.
Have you tried just removing the key instead of leaving it in? Sounds like you keep leaving the key in the ignition. Take it out and see what happens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I have been leaving the key in the ignition because I park it inside my garage. However even with the key pulled out the issue remains...the bike power stays on, lights one, cluster on. I don't think leaving the key in the ignition in the off position would cause this to happen...unless this is like a known issue with the R6??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts