Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ride hard, ride safe.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's your friendly neibhorhood DefiantEnd with another question that couldn't be found searching, so here goes nothing :p.

I am still trying to get to the 500 mile mark since I bought the bike brand new off the showroom floor and for some odd reason I had to ask this. I love this bike so daggum much that when I hit the 1000 mile mark and completely break it in, when redlining does it hurt the bikes or are they specifically made for this type of riding? And if so, can they ride along at 20-30 MPH without hurting the engine?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
i got my bike with 0 miles on it and i kept it under 8k rom for the first 50 miles, then ran it hard. Bikes power is amazing. For the break in period tho dont keep the bike at a constant rpm

·
Ride hard, ride safe.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what's the absolute best way to keep it from staying in the same RPM? If I'm riding at a constant 40 MPH, should I hold in the clutch and start revving a little bit? Or just use the gears to help brake the engine and come to a stop?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Everyone has different opinions on this but just ride it like your going to after the break in period it wont hurt it IMO. I babyed mine for a while and couldnt take it and my is still running fine at 5k miles.

·
vroom on a yamaha
550 Posts
i would just do what the manual says. I'm sure the company has many certified engineers that tested this and found this method to give optimum performance and durability. yet again it is your bike so drive it ad you wish.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
keep it under 8k for the first 600 miles get it serviced and then what i did was kept it under 12k till i hit the 1000 miles mark changed the oil then you can run it hard..but important thing is keep it under 8k and dont keep it at a constant rpm

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
My best friend biought an 08 brand new. Got it home, changed the oil then traailered to the track. Ran it hardcore 2 days. Changed the oil again. No metal fragments then and still perfect to the day. Bike pulls damn hard. Has never had an issue. These engines are cnc machined, they are so well builtand meant to be abused. In fact its not even abusing, its just what these engines are designed for

·
EMT/FF/Rider
1,560 Posts
My best friend biought an 08 brand new. Got it home, changed the oil then traailered to the track. Ran it hardcore 2 days. Changed the oil again. No metal fragments then and still perfect to the day. Bike pulls damn hard. Has never had an issue. These engines are cnc machined, they are so well builtand meant to be abused. In fact its not even abusing, its just what these engines are designed for
+1 Heard about some guy doing this on a Laguna track day from the local shop as well

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts

·
High Five!
1,025 Posts
No reason to be just cruising at 16k. It sounds sooo sweet hitting those rpms but to just cruise around with the engine blaring is annoying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
what's the absolute best way to keep it from staying in the same RPM? If I'm riding at a constant 40 MPH, should I hold in the clutch and start revving a little bit? Or just use the gears to help brake the engine and come to a stop?
The best way to vary the rpm's while at a constant speed is to let off the throttle completely and let the bike coast a bit. For instance, if your going 40mph, let off the throttle until your speed drops to around 20mph or so then accelerate back up to speed again. You'll want to accelerate with a fairly large amount of throttle opening without lugging the engine. Shift down a gear if necessary. I would repeat this process several times with each ride during the break-in period. This will help to seat the rings against the cylinder walls ensuring good ring sealing for max compression and to prevent oil-burning issues in the future. I wouldn't recommend doing this with others driving behind you though for obvious reasons.

DO NOT disengage the clutch and rev the engine. Subjecting the engine to high speeds with no load on it is not a good thing. You should avoid doing this ever and not just during the break-in period. Little blips here and there is totally acceptable, but you definitely don't wanna be taching it out towards redline in neutral or with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also, forget about downshifting through the gears as a way of varying engine rpms. Save this practice for when its necessary such as before entering a corner, slowing for traffic or for added acceleration. You'll definitely want to be rev-matching as well. Its alot easier and smoother on your bike.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Also, forget about downshifting through the gears as a way of varying engine rpms. Save this practice for when its necessary such as before entering a corner, slowing for traffic or for added acceleration. You'll definitely want to be rev-matching as well. Its alot easier and smoother on your bike.
:werd
Doing this has made cornering so much smoother for me even though I only ride the street for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts