Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 R6 - candy red. I bought the bkmoto kit with dual halos & demon eyes. I already put audi-style LED strips on [the outside between the headlamps and fairing] so I didn't need those. I have them hooked into my blinkers so they alternate-flash with my flush mounts which I love.

Let me start off by saying this mod is not for the squeemish, which may be why he charges so much to do it for you. You have to take all of your fairings off, which on the R6 can be a pita for the couple of large side pieces, completely disassemble the headlight assembly, which includes using a heat gun or the oven (I opted for the heat gun), and assemble the kit - which is really not easy. It would be so much nicer if the plastic piece you put the halo rings on actually had some kind of slots, or backing piece for the rings to be mounted on. It's a challenge to get them on their correctly. He makes it look easy in the video (he's had practice) but it's tricky. Also, it would be better if the halo rings were LEDs instead of CCFLs. I cracked one of the halo rings when tightening one of the lights after leveling. What's funny is he says in the video to be careful at that point, and a momentary lapse of concentration was enough to do it.

I called him to get a replacement. He answered the phone and quickly took care of me - sent a replacement out the next day (I had to pay for it of course).

The section in the video for the wiring is for a different bike, but it's similar. Would be nice if he included a note in the kit that provided details on what to do for the R6 as most people don't want to take the chance of frying their bike's electrical system. Would save him a lot of questions after.

Using a heat gun to take apart the head light assembly really wasn't as bad as I thought, nor was putting it back together. But, I must have touched the inside of the lens at some point and didn't notice it until after I got the whole bike back together, so there's a little bit of smudging on one that I can't get rid of unless I take it all apart again - blah.

The other challenge is what to do with all of the electrical components (there are a LOT) after you hook it all up. There isn't a lot of room to fit all that stuff and you have to be careful it doesn't get in the way of your steering.

I had an issue with one of the inverters for my demon eyes not working. I emailed twice and called & left a message and have still not gotten any response. I ended up buying a pair of inverters from a place in chicago for $9 free fast shipping so not a huge deal but would like it to be resolved.

All said and done, I'm really happy with the results. Hopefully the bulbs last because I don't want to have to get back in there again.

Attachments

·
Like a ViRus
63 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while now... I think it makes a big difference on the overall look of the bike. I've seen a couple of cheap ready made headlights on ebay that come with everything pre-installed !!
problem is, they're probably crap.

Now are these lights, ballasts etc.. better quality? or does he charge more because of the hand work involved?
what's your opinion on this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Zeocide,

I agree - this mod makes a HUGE aesthetic difference on the R6 especially, even without the halos or demon eyes....even without any of the lights on. I had a 2001 R6 and liked that both low beams worked. I don't like the one-side-lit headlamp look and wasn't happy about that when I got this R6, so I always rode with my high beams on. I also got tired of people at stop lights telling me one of my lights was out - they didn't understand it was by design. The stock lights on the R6 are also terrible for night riding so these HIDs should make a HUGE difference at night. I thought about this mod for months. The price definitely turned me off, but I finally talked myself into it.

It would DEFINITELY be an easier mod if all you had to do is replace your headlight assembly with one he does for you. I can see why he's able to charge so much for a completed assembly - it's intimidating to take all that stuff apart and scary to cut your stock parts, and it takes quite a bit of time to do it if you take your time. It's not a mod to do if you are in a hurry, or want immediate results, or are not a 'handy' type person. I'm 45, so I've had years of tinkering with things. If I was in my 20s I probably wouldn't have been comfortable doing this. Not saying you can't do it if you're in your 20s, but I personally wouldn't have had the patience or confidence to tackle it. I had to dremel out the inside of my 2001 R6 fairing to install front flushmounts, so I figured I could handle this. I also installed the Y pipe on this R6 (cutting out my cat), which involved removing the whole exhaust system. That was another worthwhile mod - what an awesome sound difference that made! I reviewed that product in another post.

This is a great winter project so you are forced to take your time. Measure twice, cut once kind of mentality for a LOT of the steps. You really have to pay attention to the video and make sure everything is as he says. He gives very good instructions, but it's definitely easy to make a mistake at quite a few places in the process if you don't pay close attention.

I actually glued one of my rear halos on incorrectly the first time (wires in wrong spot) - fortunately the glue wasn't fully set and I was able to remove it and do it again without cracking the ring. It's not easy to do everything cleanly, not getting glue in spots you don't want it. He makes it look really easy in the video - I give him a lot of credit.

Spray painting the reflectors black wasn't actually all that easy either. I used the exact same paint he did in the video, but there were quite a few spots where the paint wouldn't stick. I had to keep wiping it off in spots and do it again. Took days to get this part completed. I did it in my basement so it wasn't a temperature problem.

I'd say the parts individually purchased would be quite a bit cheaper but this is the case with anything like this - you are paying for the convenience of having everything in a kit. To do this yourself, you'd have to know exactly what to get and possibly get it from multiple sources. The halo rings are really cheap (from China), especially if you buy them in bulk. He's making a good profit on them for sure, but if you ordered them from China it would probably take weeks to get them so he's justified in doing so. He charged me $16 to send me a new rear halo ($10 for the ring and $6 to ship) that I cracked while leveling the 2nd HID. I think when I found some online they were a fraction of that, but again...from China. I'm guessing you may be able to find them in the states for a little less than what he charges.

The front housings for the lights are just plastic with a shiny reflective paint/coating - probably pretty cheap as well. If ANY of my halos go out, I'm probably not going to waste my time replacing them with CCFLs again. I'm going to look elsewhere for new plastic housings and use LED halos instead of CCFLs.

I saw another site online that has similar kits as this, except it uses LEDs for the halos/demon eyes and it's just as expensive...for the kit to install and the assembled one.

So - I guess the answer to your question is that you may be able to save a little money going with something else, but it may cost you in time and frustration trying to get all the parts yourself. My guess is most of the parts from these kits probably come from China, regardless of the seller. Sellers of the kits are buying this stuff in bulk and then selling the kits for a good profit. They appear to be good quality, but time will tell.

I can't say yet whether this mod was worth the time and money spent. I'll know more this spring/summer/fall when I can ride. If the rings don't break or burn out then I will be VERY happy. But if any of the halos stop working I'm going to be pissed because it will be a royal pain-in-the-ass to replace them now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good there buddy! Wished I could get angel eyes, unfortunately its illegal here :X
That's odd...

Does that mean you can't drive a BMW or other vehicle that has halos? There are quite a few cars now that come standard with halos - BMW has been doing it for years.

I checked the local laws before putting red LEDs all over my bike and as far as I could tell they were OK as long as they aren't strobing.

I was concerned about the red demon eyes too, and even bought an additional switch for them, but couldn't figure out how to wire it correctly so I just ended up leaving it set up so they come on with the halos. I won't sorry about it unless I get pulled over. Worst case I can just disconnect them at the inverter which is easy. I am not a crazy rider so I can't see getting crap about them. They really aren't that bright - the picture makes them look brighter than they are.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That's odd...

Does that mean you can't drive a BMW or other vehicle that has halos? There are quite a few cars now that come standard with halos - BMW has been doing it for years.

I checked the local laws before putting red LEDs all over my bike and as far as I could tell they were OK as long as they aren't strobing.

I was concerned about the red demon eyes too, and even bought an additional switch for them, but couldn't figure out how to wire it correctly so I just ended up leaving it set up so they come on with the halos. I won't sorry about it unless I get pulled over. Worst case I can just disconnect them at the inverter which is easy. I am not a crazy rider so I can't see getting crap about them. They really aren't that bright - the picture makes them look brighter than they are.

I know in PA you can not have any Red lights on the front of a vehicle, but I will be doing what you did and just get a switch. Should a cop say something I will just switch it off. It looks too good to not get Red Demon Eyes. But then again I probably won't be riding around with them on much because they are not bright enough to attract attention from a distance. So I wonder how much they are really worth it, haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How (or where) did you get the LED strips in the front? I want to do some but I want to figure out a way to make them look like the new Audi strips, so instead of seeing individual bulbs you just see light connected. Don't know if that would have to be something completely different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's odd...

Yeah, unfortunately back here in Singapore we're not allowed to touch the headlight assembly of the bike because in the law and for the safety of all road users "you might be fiddling with a safety feature of the vehicle". it's really ridiculous here, racing rearsets were not legalized till about a year ago and flower brake disks are still illegal even though they improve braking performance(?) correct me if I'm wrong. LED Signal lights are illegal too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know in PA you can not have any Red lights on the front of a vehicle, but I will be doing what you did and just get a switch. Should a cop say something I will just switch it off. It looks too good to not get Red Demon Eyes. But then again I probably won't be riding around with them on much because they are not bright enough to attract attention from a distance. So I wonder how much they are really worth it, haha.
I did read that - that red in the front of a vehicle was a no-no, but I couldn't find anything for my area. I haven't had it outside in the regular light to see what they look like, so I can't tell if they are really that noticeable. The pic definitely makes them look more red than they are just looking at them. The projector headlamp thing is a concave glass and the demon eye ring sits behind it, so the color is a little warped by the glass...the degree of color changes depending on the angle you see it from.

Guess I'll find out when the weather is good enough to ride and I pass a few cops or end up behind one at a stop light.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How (or where) did you get the LED strips in the front? I want to do some but I want to figure out a way to make them look like the new Audi strips, so instead of seeing individual bulbs you just see light connected. Don't know if that would have to be something completely different.
I got mine at Walmart for $19. They can be cut, and just stick on. I've seen some at Auto Zone (different brand), for $25, but they aren't a 'left'-'right' set...meaning they emit light on the same side relative to the wire...so you can't really use them on a bike. Well, maybe you could, but not without a bunch more work.

I'm not sure where you can get the type of lights that are actual strips of light...meaning it looks more like a continuous strand of light instead of individual lights. I've never seen them in a store, but I've never really looked around for them either. I'm guessing something like that would be quite a bit more expensive, and maybe not as flexible.

What's nice about these is you can install them without taking your bike apart. It was a little tricky getting them wired into the front blinkers as there's not much room to work inside the fairing, so it would definitely be easier if you removed the side plastic. You don't have to remove the headlamp though. You can squeeze them between the lamp and the fairing. You'd think it would look kind of cheesy, but it actually isn't that noticeable, and they tuck in there pretty good.

I'm sure you could find some (like bkmoto sells) that can go on the inside of your headlamp, but that's a lot more work. I actually had a set on there from earlier this year, and then when I did the HID/halo project I replaced them with newer ones that were a bit brighter.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Im in CT. I used to have foglights on my car and the lenses were a deep blue color. Cops stopped me numerous times. They said it was illegal. Got a few tickets until i decided to take it out. I guess according to the red and blue are for law enforcement, fire department, ambulance and so on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Im in CT. I used to have foglights on my car and the lenses were a deep blue color. Cops stopped me numerous times. They said it was illegal. Got a few tickets until i decided to take it out. I guess according to the red and blue are for law enforcement, fire department, ambulance and so on.

I grew up in CT and wouldn't be surprised by any law there. I just looked in the KY laws and did not find anything that stated colored lights in the front were illegal...there's not reference to color at all. It does say flashing lights are illegal unless you are using them to turn or warn others of traffic, etc. The laws are very specific for other items such as beam distance, intensity, etc.

·
Registered
766 Posts
A lot of times cops just wants to give tickets. I used to have red window tip on a car of mine. Cop wanted to give me a ticket saying it was illegal to have colored window tint. Thankfully i had a print out of CT laws saying that u r allowed to have colored window tint unless they were too dark. I forgot the percentage

·
Like a ViRus
63 Posts
@mmletzko

I agree with you on a lot of the things you said!
For example, i just don't like the look of one light on and one off, everyone tells me all the time that my light is out ! Don't get me wrong, i love the halos/ devil eyes etc..
but i also would have probably never considered them at all if i had low/high lights on both sides.
First I called the traffic department (DMV) here in Sweden, and the answer i got was very concrete!!
It was not like "hmm...maybe this or maybe that".. "let us check ".... etc...

I was told immediately the law quote and number... i in short the front light can only be white or a light yellow, can not contain red or blue... and if the 2 front lights are more than 20cm apart (7.8"), then one has to be high and one has to be low.
I was also told that police are very aware of such laws. Halos were allowed.
anyway....
I'm still going to do it, and drive around with Halos in the day ... (driving around with "day" lights is a requirement in Sweden).
I am also in my forties and i have a workshop , so i consider myself pretty handy.. so to actually do it myself seems more fun than scary, only problem is that i have very little experience and info when it comes to electrical stuff.

You also mentioned that you had a lot of problems painting the reflectors, so i asked my friend that works for a car painting workshop and he said, a simple uncomplicated way is to get verrrrrry fine sandpaper and just scrub the surface first, and that will allow the color to stick easier.
I thought i mention it anyway in case someone else has the same issue.

edit: A friend just did his and he sprayed 2 layers of plastic primer first, and then black

·
I eat my R6
51 Posts
I'm also from the Philadelphia area, and I haven't run into to any cop troubles. Rode around for 7 hours last weekend and passed plenty of cops. Just finished putting mine on last weekend. I have blue and white halos with a blue demon eye. I let my friend ride my bike around the block just so I could see what they look like from far away, and the demon really shows up! The domed shape of the new projector makes the demon eye not really show up if you're very close, but once you move back away from the bike it goes into focus and it's very visible.
Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That looks sweeeeeet. Did you do the install yourself or buy one assembled? How did you like the install??

It's been a while so I guess I provide an update.

Since I put these in I've had to take apart my headlight assembly 2 more times. The first time it was after I got the bike out for the first time after the assembly. I must have had a wire just a little too snug or something because when I got back from my ride I noticed a halo was out. I suspect what happened was I had one of the wires just a little too tight and when I turned my handle bars enough, it tugged on the wire a little bit and cracked the ring.

Because I wasn't happy with the job I did the first time, I actually ended up ordering a new set of the plastic housings, and new halos. Turns out I used the wrong glue the first time so I couldn't get the old rings off. Not to mention, there was glue residue that I couldn't remove. I wasn't terribly disappointed though because it gave me the opportunity to clean the inside of the lenses, which were smudgy and I didn't notice until I had it back together.

Soooo, I replaced everything and did a MUCH neater job the 2nd time around, and also cleaned the lenses. When I did the wire management, I was much more careful with where I ran them, tie-wrapped them, etc.

I went a whole riding season with no issues...which I was really happy about. Then, when I was preparing my bike for the winter, I noticed a hazy condensation inside both headlamps. It looked like condensation at first, but it turned out it wasn't. It was some kind of film. At first I though maybe it was caused by the stabil I put in as that's when I noticed it. So, I had to take it apart, for the 3rd time now, and clean them. I used Nu Finish Scratch Doctor and it worked awesome. My lens covers looked like new.

2016's riding season was fine - no issues...until it got cold outside. One day while it was in the garage and I looked at it, I noticed that hazy film again, although not nearly as bad this time.

After a bunch of research, the only thing I could come up with was that it was caused by 'out-gassing', from the paint used to paint the old reflector pieces. When I took it apart to clean it, I took the opportunity to paint a couple of spots that needed some touch-up.

Well this time I figured out a way to clean that little bit of film without taking the bike apart. I got some magnets and a little soft jewelry bag. I put one magnet inside the jewelry bag, unscrewed the bulb access piece, and stuck the bag (tied to a string so I could pull it back out) through the hole with a piece of stiff airline tubing (stiff enough to hold the bag, but flexible enough to move around) and got it up to the front of the headlamp until I could 'catch' it with the other magnet on the outside of the headlamp (wrapped in a cloth). Once they were stuck to each other...I just cleaned it by moving the magnet around on the outside...which cleaned the inside. I have a reef aquarium, so this magnet cleaning idea stemmed from that - that's how the inside of aquarium glass is cleaned.

Anyway, I was able to clean both sides in about 10 minutes without taking anything apart...I was so happy.

I'm hoping at the end of this year I won't have that issue anymore...that all of the 'out-gassing' will have occurred.

Outside of that, the lights have been awesome - no issues (knock on wood)! I've never been pulled over either.

·
I eat my R6
51 Posts
That's good to know about the fogging. I experienced that after my first long ride with them installed, but I'm hoping it was just a lack of adhesive around the wires going through the dust caps.

And thanks, they turned out great! The install wasn't perfectly smooth. One cracked halo, then decided to change the color of one of the halos after it was already glued on, and used 4 switches so that everything is completely independent. Very time consuming, but it kept me busy during the off-season. Boris always responded quickly too, and answered questions I had clearly and quickly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the regular fogging - condensation...I get that sometimes when I ride to work in the morning and it's a little chilly. But after a short time in the sun it just dries up.

The other problem I had wasn't condensation - it was actually a whitish film...not something that goes away with time, or heat. The first time it took a good bit of scrubbing to get it all out. Fortunately this past fall it was much lighter and easier to get off.

Did you paint your reflectors black? If so, i'll be curious to see if you get it once the whether gets cold after a warm season. Like I said, the only thing I can attribute it to was out-gassing from the painting.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts