Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered a Blue Flame 3D Silver Carbon Dual Outlet Race Can

the other day and just finished installing it earlier tonight. The reason I chose the particular manufacturer is I had read some good reviews about them and also Pete (Wolf) recommended them as well and if you are aknowledging your competition, then they must be doing something right.
Initial Impression
When I opened the box yesterday, it felt like X-Mas! The can was perfect! The quality of craftmanship was top notch. Everything was nicely polished and fit perfectly. You cannot get the full effect of the 3D effect of the can unless you see it in person. The Silver colored carbon is covered with clear coating of some sort which adds tremendoud depth to it. All the neccessary parts were included, which doesn't always happen with things. There was the mount for the can and relocation brackets for the foot pegs and turn indicators (this one mounts to the back of the stock mud guard, only the parts I used are pictured).

Since I was removing the pegs and have an integrated tail, those pieces were left alone. This thing was a thing of purest beauty. I couldn't get it on my bike fat enough.

Installation
It's pretty straight forward. First, loosen the pipe clamp on the existing slip-on where it meets the collector pipes. The remove the bolt that holds the can to the mounting bracket and the pull the stock piece off. Next, unbolt the liscese plate holder and remove the undertail (just leave it dangling on the wires) and the tail plastics. If you so desire, you can install the foot peg relocation brackets put not the foot pegs at this time. Otherwise, remove both foot pegs and set them off to the side.

pipe and right peg removed

left peg removed

Now it's time to re-install the plastics. Once they are re-installed, the tricky part starts. You need to mount the bracket inbetween the liscense plate holder and the undertail and it takes some work to get the bolt holes lined up. Once you get those started, get them tight but leave a little bit of wiggle room in them yet.

mounting bracket mounted between plastic and plate holder

I then attached the mid-pipe to the collector pipe and left the pipe clamp untightened and then slid on the can. Once this is done. then you can adjust the mid-pipe for length and rotation in relation to the mouting bracket to get the can to it. Once everything is in alignment, tighten everything down and that's it. Fire it up!

finished pipe install (without the seats re-installed)

The Sound
The sound is frightening. It's absolutely roars. The carbon can seems to absorb all the metalic ringy-ness to it and leaves it with a deep rumble that is almost V Twin like, only better. It is loud though. It is marked on the end cap "Not for road use" which stands to reason since it is a race can. My wife heard it inside the house while watching tv and I was in the garage 40 feet away with the doors closed (was hoping for a free buzz but I didn't run it near long enough!). I do have a video clip taken with my digital camera (not camcorder) and I will insert the link whenever it gets posted.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
YEA! Right on Mike! Very very nice piece!! Looks sexy on your R6!

And I think you sold me on picking the black Carbon Blue Flame myself when you mentioned the sound is V-twin like and top notch quality for the low price!!! And you are one lucky dude to get the last silver 3D carbon piece from Bue Flame! :pimp

Post some sound bytes or if not email them to me! :hammer

:eek:t
BTW, i hope that thing in the garbage is not what i think it is????? :hump

Mike

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mikeeh76 said:
Post some sound bytes or if not email them to me! :hammer
I would but the video file is 8 megs large so most mailboxes will reject it. But again, I'm really, REALLY impressed by the quality of the can for the price. Like I said to you before, I got 2x the quality at half the price as compared to the underseats. Left me with alot of money to do other mods. Would have loved to get the underseats but this is by far the better decision. And as you noted, I got the LAST 3D Silver Carbon Blue Flame can!

Mikeeh76 said:
BTW, i hope that thing in the garbage is not what i think it is????? :hump
Why yes it is! It's a remnant from my bachelor party! If you look closely at the last picture as well, in between my can and the white bucket, you can vaguely make out a chain on the floor..... the other end is attached to the bowling ball I had attached to my ankle for the weekend. The ball gets passed around amongst our group of friends. I'm the 3rd to have it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Man! I'm dyin'! That thing looks sweet!!! Who did you buy it through?
Congrats!

Alden

ps... GET THE VIDEO POSTED!!! :jump :jump

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought it thru Hammy the Can Man, www.hammythecanman.com . Brian is the guy you deal with and he's a good guy. Goes out of his way to help you and his prices are good. But BF no longer makes the silver carbon can. I think they are going to stop making carbon cans all together but not sure. I emailed the vid to DJ but it was to big so I need to find another way to get it to him.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Looks good pen. Damn good!
:boob

Would you recommend Hammythecanman?

I just checked out his site and he seems to carry the pipe I want. Sent him an e-mail for pricing.

How long did it take to get your pipe?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, I would recommend him. He very nice and very responsive and honest with his opinion. It took about a 5-7 days as it had to come from our sister nation, Engerland.

I've spoken to DJ and the video section is not gonna be operable for another few weeks due to the site host being a dick. so once he moves it to a new site, in around 2-3 weeks, it'll be up and operational. If anyone uses messenger, my email is [email protected]. Hit me up and I can transfer the video to you.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Guys, he's talking about his new pipe. Hammy the can man doesnt sell blow up dolls :hammer At least i don't think so. :roll:

Nice lookin pipe!!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Pen, that pipe is really PIMP :pimp

Red, that blow-up doll was an :eek:t
I just wanted to make sure with Pen what it is..well could've been a mannequin.

But anyways, it seems the BF is a good choice! and I ordered mine today from Brian http://www.hammythecanman.com. As Pen said, and from my experience, he is a great guy and very honest. And very patient too. Check him out for your new set of exhaust!

Mike

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes, he is very quick and VERY responsive. He seems like a really good guy, I am a but few days away from convincing the wife to let me spend that much money on my bike.

When I order, I will order from him.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jasamb said:
I am a but few days away from convincing the wife to let me spend that much money on my bike.[/iquote]

Tell her you're ordering the "super special cuz your the best wifey in the world" model and you can get whatever you want!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
penfold said:
Tell her you're ordering the "super special cuz your the best wifey in the world" model and you can get whatever you want!
"Yea......that's it"

:mrgreen:

Hey penfold, only today did I find out where your signature phrase come from...

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jasamb said:
"Yea......that's it"
Didn't work for me either!

jasamb said:
Hey penfold, only today did I find out where your signature phrase come from...
Don't tell anyone else! I was trying to keep it a secret! If it wasn't for you meddling forum members........

Looks like you're making up ground on my post count.....you post whore.....I'm gonna start making fun of you now!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Bring it Mr. 738

...nerd

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Pen,
Im with you i've got a Blue Flame on my 02 it looks and sounds great, but the police over here don't like the not for road use sign stamped on the band. So I rang the guys at Blue Flame and they sent me a plain band with rivets and even paid the p&p great service. :scared

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I HAVE THE BEST WIFE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!

:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump

·
Registered
100 Posts
They sound the best when you accelerate hard in 1st, 2nd or 3rd then let off the gas they make an awsome popping sound BLOODY FANTASTIC everybody looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jasamb said:
I HAVE THE BEST WIFE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!

:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump
That's the idea, now show her your post! certainly it means something if you posted it to over 650 members.

river said:
They sound the best when you accelerate hard in 1st, 2nd or 3rd then let off the gas they make an awsome popping sound BLOODY FANTASTIC everybody looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya man, I can't wait to get it out on the road. might go out for a quick one tonight if I can bolt out of here soon! and it sounds bad ass without any load so I can't wait to here it under WOT!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts