Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
i've heard that a PCIII should be done even w/ a K&N... so i would think a race filter would benfit w/ one too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
when i bought my bike it had full akra exhaust with a factory filter. i replaced the oem filter with k&n with out any problems that i noticed. i did not get a dyno done before and after like some might do but it ran just fine with no throttle response problems at all. i might even dare to say that it ran even better but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. i dont know if the full exhaust had something to do with it....i have read some threads saying that it might make a difference. but that is my experience. i run k&n on everything...my truck, my jeep and my bike. i have never tried bmc racing filters but people say that they are just as good or better than k&n. mine works just as expected with no maintenance needed. :cheers

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I also run K&N on my car and my bike and the quality is great.

I'm assuming your doing an air filter cause you already have an exhaust. In that case buy a PCIII, really even if you don't have an exhaust a PCIII with help out with throttle response.

If you go to www.calsportbike.com they have a special right now for a BMC filter, v-stacks and PCIII, for a damn good price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
while you may not have remap for the airfilter, to get the full potential of the air filter remapping would need to be done.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sad to say dudes.....i do not haf an aftermarket exhaust....
just that my air filter has already been used for roughly 12000km and i was thinking of changing to k&n or bmc rather than getting the OEM yamaha air filter.....
my mechanics were advising mi not to get bmc as it might cause my air fuel mixture to go too lean...resulting in piston jam in the long haul....advises??

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
any filter that will flow MORE air, will indeed result in a lean running engine. A lean running engine runs hotter, and poorer. So after time, yes it could cause problems. Right away, you're not going to notice it.

Totally agree with big deezul, but i'll add this. Stick with stock filter unless you plan on remapping or rejetting.

You can also wash your stock filter.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
I've not seen more then a 1/2 - 1 hp gains on filters. But the most definitely will benifit from tuning.

The biggest thing to be careful about if your not going to tune in with a Power Commmander is to stay clear of the BMC "Race" filters.. They can overflow sometimes when not tuned and loose a little power. You won't notice it riding much but the dyno will show it.. Either searching for a map with similar mods as your's or breaking down and getting a custom map is truly optimum once all of your mods you plan on doing power wise are done.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
Aldebaran said:
hmm so is it safe for mi to install a k&N without any pc3 without running to lean? i'm on a 04r6 btw
Yeah K&N should be fine... I mentioned the info above because there is two style of BMC's race and street.. The race flow fairly close to open (no filter) and will loose you a bit is all.. The BMC's are great filters though.. very soundly make :boob

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
SpidermanSS said:
Yeah K&N should be fine... I mentioned the info above because there is two style of BMC's race and street.. The race flow fairly close to open (no filter) and will loose you a bit is all.. The BMC's are great filters though.. very soundly make :boob
im surprised the BMC air filters are not offered for the R6 on McCoy Motorsprots.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
SpidermanSS said:
im surprised the BMC air filters are not offered for the R6 on McCoy Motorsprots.
Usually they are... Might be out of stock, if not I'll get the guys to get some more in stock... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
416 Posts
i have an 04 R6 .. i dont no bout all the terms yet .. from waht i understand when u change ur air filter to aftermarket u need to remap or rejet or pc3's ... i don't really know waht remapping/rejetting is or how they work .. i know if u increse air, u increse fuel and thats waht pc3 does, but what is it does it plug in somewhere or do u replacing something with it?? :?:

mah B for tha long reply/question

$uHa$ :cheers

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
SpidermanSS said:
stoneloco808 said:
Usually they are... Might be out of stock, if not I'll get the guys to get some more in stock... :mrgreen:
i never did see the BMC race air filters for the R6 listed on your website. i seen it listed for the R1 but not the 6.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Suhas said:
i have an 04 R6 .. i dont no bout all the terms yet .. from waht i understand when u change ur air filter to aftermarket u need to remap or rejet or pc3's ... i don't really know waht remapping/rejetting is or how they work .. i know if u increse air, u increse fuel and thats waht pc3 does, but what is it does it plug in somewhere or do u replacing something with it?? :?:

mah B for tha long reply/question

$uHa$ :cheers
remapping is what you do to the fuel injected models (03+). re-jetting is done to the carbed models (99-02). it is not necessary to remap if all you add is a air filter as the stock ecu should compensate for the increased air flow but remember, you can only get in (intake) as much air as you get out (exhaust), so just adding a air filter without an exhaust will not affect the fueling enough to make a pc3 or re-mapping necessary IMO. now, if you get into both a new filter and a slip-on or full system, then, ya, IMO, re-mapping/re-jetting would be necessary to prevent a lean condition and to bring out the max performance from your mods. also, if you add v-stax or slide stops/fuel pressure booster, then ya, a pc3 is defo recommended.

as for the pc3, it plugs into your stock wiring harness and acts as an interface with the stock ecu thru which you can change the amount of fuel delivered to the engine under different loads and at 500rpm increments up until like 12k rpms where i believe it drops to 250rpm increments but i can't remember off the top of my head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts