Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I have been browsing this forum forever and have gained so much knowledge here, I really appreciate it! However, I have a question. So many websites and people are claiming that "hanging off" the bike decreases the lean angle necessary for making a proper corner. No one has explained how this happens, rather, they're just stating it. To me, if you're utilizing X amount of side wall (leaning) then regardless of what you do on the bike you're going to have to use that X amount of side wall to lean. For example, if you're taking a turn at 40 mph and this requires a lean of angle of 40 degrees, how does simply hanging off the bike reduce the lean angle to 35? To me it seems that you still have to use the same patch of the tire to accomplish this? Now I do understand the physics of weight distribution and down-force and it's affect on centrifugal forces. My question is how is hanging off the bike going to reduce the amount they bike has to turn (lean angle), I DO understand that proper body position helps with traction and allowing the bikes geometry to work more properly tho. Haha, silly I know. Just doesn't make sense to me. Thanks guys!

Chris Brewer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris, you are linking [lean angle] and [speed] for a given corner angle. This is not technically correct, it is actually the [deviation of Centre of Gravity from upright] and [speed] for a given corner angle. By hanging off the bike whilst cornering, you are moving the Centre of Gravity over before the bike has even leaned over at all. So lets say, whilst sitting upright on the bike, you require 45 deg of lean to get round a corner. If theoretically whilst you were hung off the bike, you moved the CofG by 15 deg, you would only need the bike to lean 30 deg to make it around the same corner at the same speed.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Chris, you are linking [lean angle] and [speed] for a given corner angle. This is not technically correct, it is actually the [deviation of Centre of Gravity from upright] and [speed] for a given corner angle. By hanging off the bike whilst cornering, you are moving the Centre of Gravity over before the bike has even leaned over at all. So lets say, whilst sitting upright on the bike, you require 45 deg of lean to get round a corner. If theoretically whilst you were hung off the bike, you moved the CofG by 15 deg, you would only need the bike to lean 30 deg to make it around the same corner at the same speed.
and to be honest shouldnt even be a consideration until one can execute a complete clean lap on the "race line" within 10-12 seconds of a club level expert. The hanging off part anyway. You see too many folks trying to "force" the hang off... and it shows in pictures.

Unnatural

Natural

And there is no "right" or "wrong" body position. Plus its a product of evolution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, that makes total sense! I really appreciate the responses, I tried using Google but it kept giving links just stating what I said, no actual explanation. Thanks guys!

Chris Brewer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts