Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Some what new to street riding and wanted some advice. Definitely plan on making it to the track soon. I haven't got my knee down yet, but I'm not to worried about that. I'm more concerned with proper positioning. Given how my tires look I'm wondering if im "hanging" off enough. I don't have any pics of me riding yet I do apologize for that. But I was hoping for some feedback base on how my tires look if that's possible. Thanks for the help guys. I should add on these rides I am in no way pushing the envelope considering I'm on the street.

Attachments

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Judging your body position by looking at pictures of tires is like learning to fcuk by sticking your dick in the mashed potatoes.

You're not going to learn shit, and everyone's going to be pissed you ruined their dinner.

The thing that everyone does wrong at first, which you're probably doing wrong too, is moving their ass way off the seat, instead of getting your head down and inside of the bike. Ride around at a comfortable pace, and practice getting your head & shoulders over, and don't move your ass at all. Think lead with your head into the turn. If you're turning left, once you're in position, you should be able to move your head to the right, and knock it against the left side of the windshield if you're in the right place.

Once you've got it drilled into your mind that moving your upper body towards the inside of the turn is the major movement, then start moving your ass over, so you've got at most one cheek off the seat.

Good luck and godspeed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHAHA, ok fair enough and understood. I am sure you are right. Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely work on that.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Chill the **** out and stop looking at your tires. You shouldn't even be remotely concerned with your body position on the street.

Get your ass to a trackday and talk with an instructor for some one on one time, or listen to whatever they say in the classroom (if it is offered, take the "class" or whatever). You'll learn more in one day on the track than you'll learn in a year on the street.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense thanks. Kind of an unrelated question, but who do you guys go through for track days? I am in the bay area if that helps at all. I really want to get to one and finally have enough money put away for it.

·
Reads the rulez
2,245 Posts
Judging your body position by looking at pictures of tires is like learning to fcuk by sticking your dick in the mashed potatoes.

You're not going to learn shit, and everyone's going to be pissed you ruined their dinner.
Well that sums it up quite well. Nicely done. :bowroll

·
Registered
219 Posts
Makes sense thanks. Kind of an unrelated question, but who do you guys go through for track days? I am in the bay area if that helps at all. I really want to get to one and finally have enough money put away for it.
Hahaha, this thread had me laughing earlier :D

Have you thought about a riding school at all? I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and we go to Laguna and Infineon which are both close :too cool: You enjoy a wicked fun day at the track while learning all the correct techniques like body position, throttle control, visual skills etc...

Let me know if you have any questions about CSS or riding tech in general and I'll do my best to answer.

In the mean time I've also got a riding blog and have done up a few articles that you may be interested in:

http://www.motomom.ca/school-or-track-day/

http://www.motomom.ca/track-days-not-just-for-racers/

http://www.motomom.ca/8-mistakes-new-track-riders-make-and-how-to-avoid-them/

CHEERS!!!

·
1up,5down
129 Posts

The thing that everyone does wrong at first, which you're probably doing wrong too, is moving their ass way off the seat, instead of getting your head down and inside of the bike. Ride around at a comfortable pace, and practice getting your head & shoulders over, and don't move your ass at all. Think lead with your head into the turn. If you're turning left, once you're in position, you should be able to move your head to the right, and knock it against the left side of the windshield if you're in the right place.

Once you've got it drilled into your mind that moving your upper body towards the inside of the turn is the major movement, then start moving your ass over, so you've got at most one cheek off the seat.

Good luck and godspeed.
this guy hit it right on the money... on my first few track days i was getting my ass off the seat, knee out and dragging and i felt as if i had decent body position. as i got faster i had an instructor follow me and he told me i was still too upright and to lean over and lead with my head... once i did this it felt much more comfortable. i was now literally on the side of the bike instead of on top of the bike. with this new body position the lean angle of my bike actually lessened and the bike felt more planted....

p.s. dont try to drag your knee! especially on the street! dragging of the knee is a RESULT of proper body position and technique...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey guys. Some what new to street riding and wanted some advice. Definitely plan on making it to the track soon. I haven't got my knee down yet, but I'm not to worried about that. I'm more concerned with proper positioning. Given how my tires look I'm wondering if im "hanging" off enough. I don't have any pics of me riding yet I do apologize for that. But I was hoping for some feedback base on how my tires look if that's possible. Thanks for the help guys. I should add on these rides I am in no way pushing the envelope considering I'm on the street.
How would you define proper body position? What are you aiming to accomplish?

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
tires don't tell you anything about your body position. they DO tell you about your controls (gas and brake).

the rear shows you're kinda soft/weak on exit. more gas.

the front shows you're REALLY pussyfooting into the corner.

basically, you lose the "edge" of the rear tire with the gas, and you lose the "edge" of the front tire with brake...

and judging by your tires you have a LOT of both left to use before you start maxing out your tires.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Really cant judge body position at all from looking at tire wear.

You want to get your butt off the seat, your knee out which will square you up, and your upper body off center but parallel with the center of the bike. In other words, you dont want to get crossed up. And most important, turn your head and look through the turn.

Two things I do to help force proper position is I drag out outside arm across the tank and I drop my inside elbow. This helps to get the upper half of my body off center which is your largest center of mass and far more important than getting your butt over. I see a lot of new riders who get their butt way off the seat, but then leave their upper body and head right over the center line which is counter productive.

Also worth noting, you should really get yourself out to the racetrack where all of this can be practiced in a safer and more controlled environment. I dont condone dragging knee on public roads where there are simply too many variables.

I dont have a ton of pics on this computer, but I attached two for reference.

Attachments

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
Fremont huh? I live there too, well very close. I go with Keigwins and swear by them. Very very cool people and very friendly and helpful!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
here is what you can tell from the tire photos:

that tire is not getting hot AT ALL.. if you were to try and get a knee down on THOSE tires, you will likely crash. Those are:
A) WAY to hard a compound
B) you are going wicked slow.
C) both

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
I must convert you to Precision!
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

You know what I do need to give them a try. I have heard only good things about them. They would be the only org I haven't tried yet. Really didn't like Z2, PTT was good, and obviously love Keigwins.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts