Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Your mom eats my r6!!!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just comparing pictures from my first track day to my second track day, I feel I have made vast improvements.

Same turns. Gsxr was from first track day and r6 was from my second.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1435095852.143195.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1435095890.302931.jpg

There is definite improvement in the next one. Not yet dragging knee, but close. It'll get there eventually.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1435095943.475574.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1435096033.275661.jpg

What are your opinions of my improved BP?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pimpin'
480 Posts
Excellent! I can see clearly that you have developed certain confidence. It's actually impressive how you managed to do so in only 2 trackdays. I wish we had a track here in Panama. Keep doing what youre doing!

·
Your mom eats my r6!!!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud. I actually improved my lap times by 5-10 seconds over my best lap before. The first pic of me on the r6 was early in the day before I got with an instructor.

This was me and him towards the end of the day. I actually think I got a lil bit more lean than he does.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1435103083.742444.jpg

He said the only thing keeping me from moving to level 2 is that I need to consistently hit my lines.

He mentioned I was quicker when he followed me and I didn't hit my line compared to me following him and hitting them. He recommends a little more seat time and I should no problem moving from novice to intermediate and prolly to expert soon after that.

My goal is to have my racing license by the end of next year

·
Your mom eats my r6!!!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
R6 was definitely more aggressive. U sit lower into the Gsxr, it felt like. the Gsxr was not stock, by any means. Vortex rearsets, wood craft clip ons, etc. and my r6 lacks those aftermarket parts, but the I still felt the geometry of the r6 gave me more confidence. The weight difference also gave me confidence. The r6 is tons more nimble. I may ride the Gsxr again next time. I feel like if I can get good on it, getting on the r6, I would be really good, if that makes sense

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Improvement for sure, nice work!

A few things that I am always conscious of when hanging off the bike are:

1. Drag my outer arm across the tank.
2. Bend my inner elbow.
3. Make sure to get my head off the bike and look through the turn.

All of the above will help to get you where you need to be. Dont be too concerned about dragging knee. It will come with time and shouldnt be a focal point.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
More than body positioning, try to get used to the track and master the lines first. Looks like "X" marks the tip-in, apex and exit points and you seem to be missing quite a few of them.

BP will come in time and improvement has to be conscious effort. Mastering lines will help the most in terms of lap times.

Late entry can run you wide on exit, making you hold on throttle that much later, killing your drive.

BP doesnt look too bad, learn lines first, is my 2c.

·
Your mom eats my r6!!!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree. That's what my instructor said I needed to work on. Hitting my marks. It was my second track day ad my second time on that track. I plan on doing another there on the 8th of August and then another in October. I wanna get as good as I can for that track before I move to another track. Hitting my marks is pretty much all I'm gonna work on next time around. Then hopefully in October, they will clear me to either move up that day to level 2 or say it's fine to move up to level 2 the next track day.

·
Your mom eats my r6!!!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell yeah man. Msrh is a fun track. I'm biased cuz it's the only track I've been on, but I've heard from others it's one of their favorites. Thinking about changing my gearing a little. Prolly gonna go -2/+1 since I got the set from a buddy for free. Figure it would be worth a shot to try it out. Right now I am -1/0. I think next year I'm gonna try to do a trackday at COTA, if money falls right.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
better position comes from repetition. If you cant ride a motorcycle...get on a bike or a mini! :D Funny I was riding a really fast bike last weekend and had to climb forward on the bike to maintain body position. On the gas I would slide back a foot! Had to dig my arches into the pegs. My calves were burnt!

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
2) Forget your body positioning. You need to learn what an apex is, and start hitting them.
You have to slow down and not try to go fast if you want to learn lines. At slower speeds they will feel weird/incorrect, but practice them and then try to increase pace.

Going 100% will not let you learn or have margin for error. Try running 80% of your pace and practice. That 80% will slowly start improving your lap time (which you dont need to check now btw). Once you get to fast level 2/intermediate, you can check lap times.

For RideSmart, they dont check your lap time to bump you up. You need to be predictable, smooth and hold you correct lines to move up.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
You have to slow down and not try to go fast if you want to learn lines. At slower speeds they will feel weird/incorrect, but practice them and then try to increase pace.

Going 100% will not let you learn or have margin for error. Try running 80% of your pace and practice. That 80% will slowly start improving your lap time (which you dont need to check now btw). Once you get to fast level 2/intermediate, you can check lap times.

For RideSmart, they dont check your lap time to bump you up. You need to be predictable, smooth and hold you correct lines to move up.
This right here. Ridesmart is nice enough to put down those X's, try to hit them. They give you a consistent target to hit every time. The only time you should be more than a foot away from them is when you are passing someone else.

Also, if they still offer the classroom sessions, go to them, all of them. (They were required and free when I went to their trackdays) Sure after a while, it is repeating the same info, but repetition is a good thing and beats stuff into your head.

It is pretty easy to say "don't worry about body position", which it shouldn't really be your major concern. However, it is in your best interest to develop proper body position while you are learning, otherwise you pick up habits that will be harder to break later, and they go beyond just looking good or dragging knee.

If you never learn to not lock your elbows, or how to shift your weight, or that your outside arm shouldn't be perfectly straight, or keeping your weight on your feet and off your ass, that can all get you into trouble once you get up to speed and things happen. All of those are things increase your margin of error, and your ability to respond to an issue before it gets worse.

·
Your mom eats my r6!!!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ridesmart still offers classes. I went to all minus 1 or 2 due to me having to repair my bike at the track. my fan had caught my cylinder sensor (code 11) and cut through it. thanks to paul carter from sportbike repair in san Antonio informing where the sensor was located, it only took about 40 minutes or so to get to, remove, fix wires, replace, and get the bike going again. this next time around, my focus is going to be 100% hitting my marks. my right front fork was leaking a good bit and didn't wanna push too hard on right handed turns once I saw how much fluid I was losing in my fork. all small things, but things I have and will get taken care of before my next track day. first time I went my instructor informed me to get closer to the curbing. I worked on that and my BP meticulously that day. the second track day, my instructor informed me those two things were good to go. end of the day he said next time work on hitting my marks. I do have an ideal list of things I want to work on. next will be hitting my marks and passing if I get the marks down by lunch. I know I need work in those areas and there is only one way to get better at it... MORE TRACK DAYS!!!! cheers and thanks for all the advice. overall... not too bad for two track days total?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I'm surprised they let you pass tech with a leaking fork tube. If the tube is just wet, that is one thing, but if you can see fluid forming drips, it is time to change the seals and clean the fluid. Additionally, a leaking fork tube doesn't care if, or which way you are turning. Left or right it still needs to go up and down the same.

Besides the obvious issue of a bike leaking ANY fluid being let onto the track, don't push off that kind of maintenance. Most leaking forks are caused by debris getting between the slider (chrome lower tube) and the seal (pressed into the outer upper tube). This isn't the dust seal that you can see, this is above that and a VERY tight fit. Grinding bits of dirt into your fork tubes is not a good idea, and can lead to the sliders messing up the new seals if it is bad enough. Anything you can catch your fingernail on needs to be taken care of.

Sorry to sound preachy, but my maintenance motto has always been: Take care of your shit, and your shit will take care of you.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Also good tip for getting a bike (and you, and your shit) ready to go to the track is to do a dry run the weekend before the track. Get all your stuff loaded up and make sure you have everything and nothing is broken. I don't do this every time, but if it is the first day of the season or whatever, I like knowing I have my shit together sooner than the night before.

Throughout the season, it pays dividends to give your bike a really good once over AFTER you do a trackday. This means you find out about any issues as soon as possible. Don't forget that you should also check your gear too. This is probably more important that the bike. There are a lot of people at trackdays who can help you fix your bike. There usually aren't any that can help you fix a ripped seam in your suit or gloves.

There are lots of lists out there, here are a couple. You should be able to email ridesmart and get a copy of their tech checklist.
http://feelthetrack.com/2015-schedule-calendar/track-day-check-list/
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEoQFjAG&url=http://bostonmoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Boston-Moto-%E2%80%93-Track-Day-Checklist1.docx&ei=c2ORVbDSGtbhoASukoGoDQ&usg=AFQjCNEB9cH7kNKO4FmweVZ3MSOC9zZcHw&sig2=6LWfpFrbfeSe4fbL1dnNrA&bvm=bv.96783405,d.cGU&cad=rja

1 - 20 of 24 Posts