Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
yeeehaaaaw
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I need help. I bought my bike last year, found someone had welded the countershaft nut on. so I split the cases and replaced the countershaft. after getting the bike put back together it fired right up and I took it for a spin. one mile down the road it seized up the back end and when I pulled over I realized I never torqued the cct to the head. it completely jumped timing and thrashed the head journals. bought new head put it in fired right up ran great for 30 miles and then valve chatter was really loud. bombed exhaust cam. intake cam and journals were immaculate. only exhaust was destroyed. third head installed by a shop. yesterday at about 50 miles on this head. seized. thrashed exhaust cam. intake is beautiful. I thought there is only one oil passage to the head which is under the intake cam, but im starting to wonder if when I mated the case halves I oozed some yamabond into an oil passage or possibly coolant galley. really im just in need of steering in the right direction. anyone have any ideas what would be bombing my exhaust cam

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
too much gasket material is common mistake of beginner builders. Even on dirt bike motors.
yea, you can plug up oil passages right and left pretty easy with a little too much goop.
so it's not that one cam or the other was simply out of time and trashed valves, it ran good for awhile THEN damage occurred ?

i would consider parting that motor out and just buying a good used motor from a reliable seller .. just a thought.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Yeah the timing is still perfect. So there is a way to starve only the exhaust cam?
I am not positive, but i would imagine that is very possible.
is there any chance you used camshaft caps from different heads?? the caps are line bored TO THE HEAD thus you can not mix camshaft caps with other heads. you can mix cams, but not cam caps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts