Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to go ahead an boost my 07' R6S. Now I only have one question....what's the biggest turbo I can put in this puppy without blowning the engine. I was told to use like an 88 t-bird coupe turbo or one from a 02-05 wrx. I am going to have it built and I refuse to buy the kits that cost way too much...besides....can't find one for an R6S.:( Anyways, my mechanic told me that it might be better to mount the turbo by my back tire, so it has more breathing room to cool down i guess. I kinda wanted to mount it in the normal spot, which is right under the headers, but he said that's y people have problems with theirs leaking....it gets too hot. All well, I just need some suggestions on a good turbo to use that i can get off of ebay :D. Ride Safe!! :toocool:

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I forgot to ask....Where would be a good place to get a intercooler for the project? Cuz if the turbo is put in the rear by the tire, then i'll have that room in the front for an intercooler. And i was thinking a water/meth mix to cool her down...lemme kno some ideas. L8r :YEA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do some searching on this thread and on r6messagenet.com There are a few turbo r6's out there. Mostly 03 and up and home brewed not kits you can buy. None of them were remote mounted all right under the radiator.

·
Drag Racer
186 Posts
Too much work to boost one... Just spray it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive thought of this too. you could probably use the stock manifold, just have a welder make a clean 4-1 spot to bolt up the snail....probably would need fuel rail and injectors, and a PC....and a boost controller of some sort. I dont see it being all that crazy of a project. but then again, it could end up bein a HUGE headache. I just have boost knowledge from when I was in the import seen and had a T3/T4 on my H22 BB4 prelude. R.I.P. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would be a cool project to see done, but the n2o would be alot cheaper
Yea it would, but im gonna build my own turbo kit for about $500 give or take...and who know's....might do that as well...but then i'd be afraid to ride the damn bike:jacked Ride Safe!!:pimp

·
I is the noob
9 Posts
comming from the wrx world i think that the wrx turbo might be a little big, maybe something like a KO3 from a 1.8vw might help with spool time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a guy on Sport Bike Network that just finished an 03 r6 I think he did a pretty good job. He is getting over 130 to the back tire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can put whatever size turbo on your bike that you want. The size of the turbo wont blow the motor, high boost levels can.

Your best bet would probably be a stock dsm turbo along with a supra or DSM side mount IC. They will be about the right size for the bike. Custom IC piping, bigger injectors, PC, possibly fuel pump, blah blah..

Or you can go the route of meth injection and no IC. I personally would rather have a IC over meth, that you have to refill, ect..

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Use a Garrett or Turbonetics 20-30 mil turbo... anything bigger wont spool... factory turbos from the old plymouth dusters are about this size.. very small casing. Front mount will help it spool.. any cooling gains by rear mounting would certainly be lost in the distance from the motor. DEF do intercooled.. these motors run hot enough that added boost is really going to be an issue.

Is your motor stock internals? If so I DO NOT RECCOMEND this. every time you increase boost, it is like increasing your compression ratio. these motors run high enough that unless you tune the turbo for VERY low rpms (which is defeating because they spool better higher) your going lose rings, heads, valves (pushback) at higher rpms.

Also, another thing to think about... unless you use a VERY nice ball-bearing turbo... your going to have issues with the RPM it is designed to run at... most T2 turbos spool at 60-80,000 rpm on cars that redline lower than 8,000.. as we don't even see power until that point, I can DEF see overspooling the turbo OR getting blow-off so soon that you've lost any gains...

Also... any thought to upgraded clutch/chain/sprockets/wheel bearings? The added hp available with turbo puts TREMENDOUS stress on drivetrain parts.

Can you put a turbo together cheaper than the kit? sure. Can you slap any turbo on and get proper long-lasting gains? no. The kits are kits for a reason.

Next thing. Tuning. A proper turbo set up needs a proper tune (HOURS on a dyno with a programmable ecu) to be effective. If not, your power delivery will be so unpredictable that, again, the gains would be outweighed.

just my .02

·
Registered
36 Posts
The turbo the guy on sportbike network used a TD04L-13T Turbocharger he has a whole thread on it did very good job. Bike looks great.

·
PhotoChopper
2,369 Posts
did you paint the bottom fairing or is that one huge decal?

Wasn't it silver\grey? :confused:

I want to debadge my bike but I don't really want the gray\blue theme

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good luck, everything on that bike will be custom, the real way to size a turbo is find out how much air it takes in,(there is a mathematical formula) and match it to a compressor map, and figure out what pressure ratio (boost) at the rpm you want. Before you put a wrench to that bike buy and read Maximum Boost, it's a great book. You have no idea how much work that will take. You can't just put a turbo on it, and boost isn't the only thing what will blow it up, not getting enough fuel to it will blow it up. Long story short, read Maximum Boost, more than once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts