Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone or if there is a company that makes a turbo kit for the R6?

space

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i guess this isnt a hot topic....

space

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have nerver seen it done on a R6. But check out Mr. Turbo. They do not list a kit for the R6, but I am sure they could make one up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
why would you want to boost an r6? you should just get an r1 im sure they have boost kits for them, plus they are way faster anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in all honesty, the R6 is too fast so a R1 would be just plan out insane for me (cant believe i just said that)

but then again, me being the boost junkie that I am, I can see me adding a turbo to this...plus I'm a little guy so a 600 is just my size....

space

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm not too sure about you guys wanting turbos.

Hasn't the R6 got enough acceleration/power for you. I'm thinking 0-60 in 3.5 sec & 170mph top speed is pretty quick ????

I'd hate to be halfway round a corner, accelerating out, & have a turbo kick in ? You'd be off into the scenery before you knew it ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
It sure would sound cool tho hearin that thing spool up :FU

·
Registered
50 Posts
On the plus side, since the displacement is still a 600, insurance wouldn't be as high, on the negative side, well there's too much to consider. The R6 has plenty of power, I take it drag racing all the time. Even with my RT of .7 to .9, I still manage to run 11.6 to 11.9, which tells me my baby is incredibly fast. A turbo is asking for trouble I would say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah....there is nothing like hearing a turbo spool up and the BOV goes PSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTT :mrgreen: .....peoples heads turn really quick

I dont think if the turbo kicked in accerlating out of the turn would be bad if its light boost....now if you opened it up, then yeah, your asking for it....but remember, you control the throttle.....

I think i'm going to do some cosmetic work on it first before going that route....the bike does have more power then I need....

thanks,
space

·
Registered
327 Posts
Check out the GYT-R cams on the yamaha web site. Webb Cams has some, too. Or you can go with nitrous...
Look up turbos on the web, they make them for everything now. :mrgreen:
Turbo on the R6 will pretty much turn it into a dragrace bike. The daily driver part of it will get a whole lot smaller, unless you don't run much boost through it, and if you spend the $4,000 on the kit (not installed), what's the point of not running much boost? There are a lot of problems that turbos create in the really high revs, on the new sportbikes, like engine blowing.
When you put the turbo on, you have to put a thicker head gasket on the engine to drop the compression ratio (somewhat defeating the purpose a little, but not much). If you don't you'll blow the gasket, and have to put it on anyway.
You can get some pretty awesome power out of a good set of cams, and some other engine work. The $4,000+ you would spend on the turbo could easily be dropped in the engine, and make it more dependable, too. Instead of dropping the turbo in, and get mad because every time you spool it up, you pop, or blow something.
Throw some cams in it, nitrous, do a little head work, and you'll ave more to brag about, too. How many times have you actually seen a bottle on a bike? I have only seen one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts