Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Imperator
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a 2008 Yamaha R6 with a rebuilt title. Supposedly because the bike was repossessed at some point. The bikes looks to be in pretty good condition and shifts fine. Motor sounds as it should. It was either I get this bike at a pretty good price ($4400) or don't ride this season. (I sold my 1000RR after a lowside at the track).

Anyway, I've had a 2006 R6 and a 2008 R6 but its been a few years. I wanted to go with an R6 again because I loved these so much. I'll be doing a carfax to get a little bit more info on why its rebuilt but after doing a dealer carfax I know that it hasn't been in any ''accidents'' or at least reported accidents and that the mileage checks out.

The only thing I've noticed is that when I shift the head tends to move a little bit more than I would like it to..as if its not fastened well. Not sure how to describe it. It may have been because the guy had some stupid carbon fiber mini mirrors that were only holding to one of the two holes needed for mirrors.

I took those off and already ordered OEM ones from a member here. I took some pictures of where I think the problem may be (if its not the mirrors). Can any one of you guys check these out and tell me if something looks out of place?

Thank you !

Here is the bike as a whole.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I'm 99% sure my bike was repossessed at some point, but there is nothing on the title about it. The dealer I bought it from had purchased it at auction with a clean title. I'm sure laws are different from state to state, but I think the only way a bike gets a rebuilt/salvage/whatever brand on the title is if the insurance company totals it out and reports it to the dmv/dol who then applies the brand to the title. A repossession is simply a lien holder enforcing the lien that they have against the title. They just go back to the dmv with their paperwork showing that the owner has defaulted and they get a new title in their name. Carfax is pretty much worthless. Just because it doesn't say there was an accident doesn't mean there wasn't one. It just means that it wasn't fixed at a shop that reports work done to carfax.

It looks like the fairing stay is broken. That piece of sheet metal with all the random screws in it shouldn't be there. The fairing stay was probably broken and someone did some bullshit repair. It also looks like one of the mounting points on the right headlight is broken. I'd guess that someone just bought back a totaled out bike and slapped it together and sold it to you. I'd pull it all apart and see how much it is going to cost you for getting such a "good deal".

The screw in the top left of this picture looks like it might be going into the frame. That's not good. Are their two bolts (actual goddamn bolts, not sheet metal screws) on each side of the front fairing stay where it connects to the frame?

·
R6 noob
49 Posts
Shoulda done the carfax before you purchased the bike dont ya think ;) Hopefully everything checks out. Sounds like you got a good deal otherwise.

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
Love the silver color from 08. Best color ever IMO.

That looks to be a home made air inlet that is screwed into the front of the frame. Those are not OEM.

If the front feels loose, it could also be the head bearings. Maybe they need to be tightened and greased. Also, check the front wheel. Get the front of the bike off the ground, and while holding the forks, try and move the front wheel back and forth. If there is play, just replace the wheel bearings.

·
Curves....Yummy...
711 Posts
And to answer your question about the bolts on the side of the frame. Yes, there are 2 large allen bolts on each side of the frame that mount the air inlet.

·
Imperator
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I am going to remove the farings for an oil change and will go ahead and remove the head to see if the faring stay is broken. Will also check the bearings, thank you!

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Love the silver color from 08. Best color ever IMO.

That looks to be a home made air inlet that is screwed into the front of the frame. Those are not OEM.

If the front feels loose, it could also be the head bearings. Maybe they need to be tightened and greased. Also, check the front wheel. Get the front of the bike off the ground, and while holding the forks, try and move the front wheel back and forth. If there is play, just replace the wheel bearings.
I think he is talking about the fairing moving around when shifting, not the front suspension.

And to answer your question about the bolts on the side of the frame. Yes, there are 2 large allen bolts on each side of the frame that mount the air inlet.
Yeah, I know they are there. That is why I was asking the OP if his were there, you can't see them in the pictures.

·
Imperator
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the head moves when shifting to 1st gear and the pivot point appears to be that metal sheet wrapped around the air inlet. I don't think its the faring stay because then it would be really loose. So Im' hoping that its just the air inlet not being positioned well.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Dollars to donuts your fairing stay is effed. The piece of sheet metal is wrapped around it and held on there with sheet metal screws. No reason to do that if the fairing stay isn't broken.

I'd be taking that entire bike apart to see what else is bent/broken. Likely items would be the forks and front wheel. That front tire looks bald too.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yes the head moves when shifting to 1st gear and the pivot point appears to be that metal sheet wrapped around the air inlet. I don't think its the faring stay because then it would be really loose. So Im' hoping that its just the air inlet not being positioned well.

The head is where the front suspension connects to the frame. aka, steering head, aka steering neck. The only reason that would move is because the frame is cracked in half.

You're talking about the front fairing / gauge cluster. :)

·
....Casper....
719 Posts

The head is where the front suspension connects to the frame. aka, steering head, aka steering neck. The only reason that would move is because the frame is cracked in half.

You're talking about the front fairing / gauge cluster. :)
:bowroll:bowroll:bowroll

it was driving me crazy

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,308 Posts
.... Can any one of you guys check these out and tell me if something looks out of place?

You mean, like the sheet metal screws holding the fairing stay together?:secret

They bent a piece of metal around the stay, and screwed it on where it's broken it two pieces, to hold them together.

·
Gambling every time u rid
81 Posts
You should not even sit on this thing until you get it fixed. Such a half assed repair job. Putting some1's life in jeopardy.

·
Imperator
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I inspected it a little closer and it looks like it is the faring stay. I don't understand why they would not just get a new piece, they're like $50! I'm ordering another one and fixing it. Time to remove the farings :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been in the repossession business for 15 years. As stated by RC51, the DMV varies state to state but a title only gets a "Rebuilt" status is it's rebuilt from a previous wrecked or salvaged vehicle. A repossessed vehicle would only show a repossession status on a title temporarily while the lien holder that had it repo'd sells it to the next dealer. It would then have a clean title. Any indication of a previous repossession does not appear on the title, at least in Florida.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts